Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
no sleep lost , I moved to the other site,where some feel a smaller caliber and a newer type lever belongs. I might be older but I still prefer higher ballistics, accuracy,precision reloading and retained energy for longer more accurate shots,otherwise I will just use my bow.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
no sleep lost , I moved to the other site,where some feel a smaller caliber and a newer type lever belongs. I might be older but I still prefer higher ballistics, accuracy,precision reloading and retained energy for longer more accurate shots,otherwise I will just use my bow.

You're still missing the point of this forum. It's the BIG BORE forum. Not the HIGH POWERED LEVER ACTION forum. What you have is a very powerful levergun. But it's not even close to being a big bore. You remind me of that Donkey in the Budweiser commercial that wants to be a Clydesdale. Things are what they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He likes his .300 WinMag.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fischer
Rifle only cartridges. .35 - .375 are medium bore, .40 & up are big bore. Power or capability don't factor in, we're looking at bore diameter.

That would take in a lot of revolver caliber lever actions chambered for 41 Mag through 500 S&W. Which is fine by me, I'm just asking where the fences are.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/30/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Like I said - Rifle only cartridges. But that's only my personal interpretation. Handgun cartridges over .40 cal, that rifles have been chambered in, technically could be considered big bore. For me, when I think big bore lever gun, my mind goes to rifle cartridges, like the 45-70 and .444, etc. To further blur the lines, both of those have been chambered in handguns. Though they were originally concieved as rifle ammo...

I probably actually will lose some sleep tonight, sorting through that mess...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fischer
Like I said - Rifle only cartridges. But that's only my personal interpretation. Handgun cartridges over .40 cal, that rifles have been chambered in, technically could be considered big bore. For me, when I think big bore lever gun, my mind goes to rifle cartridges, like the 45-70 and .444, etc. To further blur the lines, both of those have been chambered in handguns. Though they were originally concieved as rifle ammo...

I probably actually will lose some sleep tonight, sorting through that mess...

Don't. You called it exactly as I would have.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
no I`d be the corvette you guys would be a old beat up slow dump truck or horse and buggie, and as myself and many precision handloaders say : speed kills !. oh I get it you guys want to load for what some feel are big bore guns and that's fine,but when I elk hunt or deer hunt with my handloads I plan on kill`n that animal I shoot at on 1st shot out 500 yards ,I have done it many times too and even at longer distances.but now days if I am on hunt that animals are really a long ways out then its time for my custom 338 lapua which some feel still is not a big bore. and that`s funny ! you guys kinda act and post like some of the traditional archers on archery talk,maybe you guys should all hunt out of a horse and buggie too?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Jeepers! So defensive! It probably hasn't occurred to you that in all likelihood, the rest of us shoot other rifles as well. I have several Weatherby magnums that I also hunt with and enjoy shooting (500 yd kill - no problem), a 30-06, couple .260s, 270 win, butt load of .22s, shotguns, handguns, BIG BORE lever gun, medium bore lever gun and small bore lever gun...you get the idea. Oh and although I do not have a buggy, I do have a horse. AQHA gelding named Joe and I'd consider him a "big bore" at 1300 lbs. Never hunted off of him though. Just because I don't think like someone else does, I'm sure as hell not going to insult them. Think what you like but no reason to be offended when the rest of the world has a different perspective. Welcome to America, where you can have differences and not hate each other.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
no I`d be the corvette you guys would be a old beat up slow dump truck or horse and buggie, and as myself and many precision handloaders say : speed kills !. oh I get it you guys want to load for what some feel are big bore guns and that's fine,but when I elk hunt or deer hunt with my handloads I plan on kill`n that animal I shoot at on 1st shot out 500 yards ,I have done it many times too and even at longer distances.but now days if I am on hunt that animals are really a long ways out then its time for my custom 338 lapua which some feel still is not a big bore. and that`s funny ! you guys kinda act and post like some of the traditional archers on archery talk,maybe you guys should all hunt out of a horse and buggie too?

You must be really awesome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are still confusing cartridge size with bore size, and judging by your last post, find the case size to be a great compensation.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
You are still confusing cartridge size with bore size, and judging by your last post, find the case size to be a great compensation.

Well he does sound as if he's compensating......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=pete53] no I`d be the corvette you guys would be a old beat up slow dump truck or horse and buggie, and as myself and many precision handloaders say : speed kills !. oh I get it you guys want to load for what some feel are big bore guns and that's fine,but when I elk hunt or deer hunt with my handloads I plan on kill`n that animal I shoot at on 1st shot out 500 yards ,I have done it many times too and even at longer distances.but now days if I am on hunt that animals are really a long ways out then its time for my custom 338 lapua which some feel still is not a big bore. and that`s funny ! you guys kinda act and post like some of the traditional archers on archery talk,maybe you guys should all hunt out of a horse and buggie too?[/quote[/]

My 338-06 AI same bore diameter definitely won't hang with your Lapua but it's not a big bore not even close ! 33 cal NEVER was and never will be ! With all your posted experience I find it strange you still don't get it .. So since my 338 is a tad puny compared to your's is it still a big bore ??

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FlyboyFlem; 10/31/17.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Iffin you wanna talk about bore size and case size
I have an AR50 that reaches out real far.

Most would not even consider it a Big Bore because it is not much of a Huntin gun.

It sure would kill supin in a hurry thou.

That said
It has no place in a lever post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funshooter, having manned both a Ma Deuce and a Barrett, I concur on the killing ability.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike

You must be really awesome.

Almost Uber........in Lithuanian is “Stalks well not”

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Compare how many dead deer you can get in a Corvette vs an old beat-up dump truck.....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Our mistake was not realizing we were all supposed to bow down before his BLR .300 Win mag. Now that we didn't play by the OP's rules he's taken his ball and gone home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our mistake was not realizing we were all supposed to bow down before his BLR .300 Win mag. Now that we didn't play by the OP's rules he's taken his ball and gone home.

Which he has done MANY times at 500 yards with the BLR he bought last year. But he moved to the 338 L since then.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No one is any more enamored of the original 300 Win. Mag. than me though I no longer own one. I shot a few over a couple decades or more and frankly, in the right rifle platform, 500 yards is just beginning to stretch the legs of the cartridge. Powerful, accurate, great ballistics but not a big bore in any rifle regardless of how much one wants to make it a big bore.

I was a lever nut for several years and had 86's and Marlin's in 45-70, 45-90, 444 Marlin and a couple I've forgotten...oh, I do still have an '86 in 40-82 WCF. Are they big bores? They are in my opinion but not big bores like my 500 BPE, 450/400, the couple 375 H&H's and 416 Rigby I had. They're completely different beasts. No question the 300 WM with a 220 gr. bullet is powerful but no comparison to a 400 gr. bullet out of a Brno 416 Rigby or 500 gr. bullet out of a 500 Jeffery or any of several dozen other real big bores.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,204
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.