Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
A couple questions about the 6X please.

Can you guys tell me what it sold for last year on Black Friday?

On the Mill Quad reticle, can you tell me the size it is in relation to the 3X9 SS? I had the 3X9 for a while. Just wondering if you can relate on what power the 3X9 would have be, to look like the reticle in the 6X .

I'm asking because a gun novice friend just bought a Savage long range hunter and wants a cheap scope to go on it. Well,he thinks he wants a cheap scope,I should say, and asked me to recommend something. He only gave a budget of $200 but I think he will stretch it a bit. I couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't just be junk at that low of a budget to put on his 26" barreled 6.5 Creedmoor Savage that he just bought.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can’t tell you the price, but the reticle subtension in the 6x and 3-9x is the same.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Can’t tell you the price, but the reticle subtension in the 6x and 3-9x is the same.

Jordan,I guess I'm asking if the 6X reticle is about the same boldness as the 3X9 if the 3X9 was set on 6X?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
MOA quad for good measure

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
RH, my memory is failing, but I think the price was in the $250 - $275 range and included rings and another useful item or two.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
quick google

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Jordan,I guess I'm asking if the 6X reticle is about the same boldness as the 3X9 if the 3X9 was set on 6X?

Identical.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Identical.

...BUT THE 6X PICTURE ABOVE IS BIGGER!!!!! ...little grin....

The 3-9 is first focal plane. I got weak and recently purchased a couple of variables "just to see". Black Friday I may give in and go 3-9. I'm such a back slider.....

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed? the gun has a 26" barrel and apparently weighs about 8 lbs,so I told him not to worry about weight and go for reliability. It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heck yeah... I like them a lot. They end up on a bunch of my rifles.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I see them on here often I dont own one is it true that they are the same as the Tasco Titian?

I would like to try the 6X

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed?

It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.

RH,

Not enough info provided, to give an answer. What are the "expectations" for this scope? In other words, what size targets, and what distances?

The 6x and 10x are good choices, but each fills a different niche.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/30/17.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed?

It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.

RH,

Not enough info provided, to give an answer. What are the "expectations" for this scope? In other words, what size targets, and what distances?

The 6x and 10x are good choices, but each fills a different niche.

Jason

My buddy wants to deer hunt and range shoot. His terrain is more wooded hills though than open fields. He bought his 6.5 Creed, 8 lb Savage long range hunter already. It will be heavy for most of his hunting situations but maybe it will help him shoot well. I'll set him up with some shooting houses. He owns 50 acres that buts up to a remote area of the National Forest. I may get a trip or two for my help if I'm lucky.

In my first conversation with him about this gun he mentioned deer up to 600 yards. I told him ,"let's work on up to 300 first".

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 10/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks everyone.

Would you guys agree that for a stretched budget of $300 the 6X SWFA SS would be about the best reliable choice to put on a Savage long range hunter in 6.5 Creed? the gun has a 26" barrel and apparently weighs about 8 lbs,so I told him not to worry about weight and go for reliability. It was really the only scope in that price range I could think to recommend.

For short to medium-range hunting and target shooting (out to 500 yards, or a bit over), that's the ticket!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 6x I got last year sits on a Howa 6.5CM and it is a gray combo for deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8 pounds ain't all that bad.

Unless he's jumping them up in heavy cover, or hunting very early or late, the SS will do him just fine, and when he plays at the range he'll be a very happy camper. It's certainly a good place to start and he can always get another scope for hunting later.

When I first took mine to the range, I was amazed at how precisely I could hold with only 6x, even at 300 yards, the longest range I have access to. The only bugaboo is that the reticle is a bit fine in dim light. I tested mine a couple weeks ago in the shadows of my yard at sunset. This was a tough test for sure, and I flat couldn't make it out against darkish objects in those shadows. Since I often hunt right up to dead dark over a meadow, that's a problem for me. It may not be an issue for your buddy at all. Explain the trade-off to him, and let him make the choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
8 pounds ain't all that bad.

Unless he's jumping them up in heavy cover, or hunting very early or late, the SS will do him just fine, and when he plays at the range he'll be a very happy camper. It's certainly a good place to start and he can always get another scope for hunting later.

When I first took mine to the range, I was amazed at how precisely I could hold with only 6x, even at 300 yards, the longest range I have access to. The only bugaboo is that the reticle is a bit fine in dim light. I tested mine a couple weeks ago in the shadows of my yard at sunset. This was a tough test for sure, and I flat couldn't make it out against darkish objects in those shadows. Since I often hunt right up to dead dark over a meadow, that's a problem for me. It may not be an issue for your buddy at all. Explain the trade-off to him, and let him make the choice.

That was my thinking as well,but with a $300 max budget I don't think he will do any better. He actually told me $200, but I think he will go for the $259 or whatever it sells for on Black Friday. I could think of some very good low light scopes ,perhaps even with Illumination but not for under $300.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by boatboy
I see them on here often I dont own one is it true that they are the same as the Tasco Titian?

I would like to try the 6X

Hank

No, not the same...

PM current contact info and I'll send you a 6X to check out before the Black Friday sale.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is this the SWFA scope that everyone is talking about? If so, has anyone bought one of the demos they sell? I see them all the time on their sample list page. Is this about the price they sell for on Black Friday? Is the warranty a no questions asked about if you are the original buyer like Leupolds is?

https://samplelist.com/catalog/product/view/id/141071/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (160user, 16gage, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 66 invisible), 3,023 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,618
Posts18,492,662
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.