Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
djmbow Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I promised myself I wouldn't do this, but someone asked me to hang around long enough to see if anything would change here on the Campfire as the result of the recent developments that have occurred.

I took the time to read a lot of your posts over the past couple of days and for what it's worth here is what I have to say:

There certainly has been a lot of "chatter" here about a single member being banned, (and rightly so), but have you all forgotten that during a two day period, the moderator also chose to lock three threads containing 7462 views and 489 posts?

Why isn't this being discussed?

Ask yourself this, were these threads offensive from the beginning or did they become offensive because of certain statements being made by an individual poster.

If the latter was the case, then wouldn't it have been better to censor the individual poster than to prohibit all those who were contributing input to the thread from continuing with the discussion?

Also, with the current procedure, isn't it true that Campfire members are under the constant threat that if someone maliciously decides to hijack their thread and make offensive remarks they could get the thread locked by the moderator?

Think about it.

Instead of wasting countless pages of useless verbiage praising Rick and re-stating the obvious, (that he has the right to run the Campfire as he sees fit), why don't you try to provide him with some constructive criticism?

I'm sure he would appreciate it as long as it was positive and resulted in improving the overall quality of the Campfire forum.

For example, the software probably already exists that provides the moderator with the ability to "edit" a thread and delete an offending posters remarks if he chooses to do so.

Thereby preserving the thread for the legitimate use of the rest of the Campfire members.

If there isn't, then perhaps there should be.

The point here is, there is a solution to every problem if people are willing to look for it.

All I know is that locking an entire thread in an effort to censor the remarks of one two offending posters is a bit of an overkill to say the least and it also has the unintended consequence of depriving other Campfire members of their right to continue to express their views on the subject.

Consequently, this procedure should be looked into carefully with respect to a possible remedy.

JMHO

Thanks for listening................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I knew I had to ask him about the mysteries of life, he spit between his boots and he replied:

"it's faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money"

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dj,

All good points as to the problem. However, I am not one to tell another man how to run his business. The traffic on the site will tell Rick if he's running it right or not. I have been a member of many forums. This is the best run of any I have ever been on. Rick ever present and at times can be hands on, yet doesn't interfere very often. Like I said in another such thread: The Campfire is a Ricktatorship! And a benevolent one at that.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djmbow

why don't you try to provide him with some constructive criticism?

Personally, I don't feel Rick has done anything that deserves criticism, constructive or not...
He flushed who he had to flush to get rid of the smell, and locked 3 threads out of how many thousand??

Not exactly desirable actions on any forum, but Rick did what he felt was required, and will get no complaints by me...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought you were leaving...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I'm sure that Rick has better things to do than to go through every post "editing" or "deleting" as you say what people write.

Last edited by huntxs; 02/07/07.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The dude just won't go away will he?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem
The Campfire is a Ricktatorship! And a benevolent one at that.

Amen!!

Jim

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by .280Rem
dj,

All good points as to the problem. However, I am not one to tell another man how to run his business. The traffic on the site will tell Rick if he's running it right or not. I have been a member of many forums. This is the best run of any I have ever been on. Rick ever present and at times can be hands on, yet doesn't interfere very often. Like I said in another such thread: The Campfire is a Ricktatorship! And a benevolent one at that.

+1, and a big one!!!!
This is Rick's Forum.
Dan, your post contributed nothing to the good will of the Campfire. Please leave like you said you were going to do.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
djmbow

Thanks for taking the time to make a thoughtful, well intended post. Whether it is practical or not is for Rick to determine, not for those who don't appreciate an open attempt to help.

Also thanks for helping to expose the smaller intellects, albeit inadvertently. smile

t

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1! Rick has done nothing wrong. 24HourCampfire has literally thousands of threads and thousands of users. I've been on here for a good while now, and I have seen Rick forced to use a thread lock or ban someone a precious few times. The people who are questioning the moderating are the ones who need to accept some constructive criticism. Why can you not accept that something that is blatantly wrong should be locked or removed before it causes even more harm?? Sometimes it takes antibiotics to cure an infection, if it's let go too long it can kill or maim. Rick acted rightly. I'm glad I'm not in his position, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You made valid points but whatever action the owner takes might be a right answer anyway. True that locking a thread is not the same as other aspects of life but it may be better in some ways to diffuse a issue.

Don't over react by leaving and certainly don't threaten to leave.

Instead take the St Petersburg view of what is posted. If you keep track of things on forums you will note that the ideas that are attacked with the most vigor become mainstream down the road. Schopenhauer said it best.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pull pen from eye... make this pain stop please dear god make this useless gnashing of teeth and verbal masterbation stop......

Drop it, run away, MRT push over to zero units and extend out of the fight. Just drop this folks it's done. move on to more relevent topics. Nothing is going to change about the running of this board via this method. Stick is gone, revel or cry no one cares but how about we do it in private? No one's minds going to suddenly change over it. Everyone on these (!) threads has made their point clear.

How about them Cubbies?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The dude just won't go away
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I am grateful that he is back onboard. Dan has had some very provacative and often hilarious contributions. And, if one could see through the emotional clouds and not delve into the irrational, his contributions are often very thoughful as well.

I hope noone departs for reasons I've been reading the last few days.Time fixes most everything and this duststorm ain't any different.

Now, I need to contact Mr Bin and see if I can get me one of those new Leupy 7s, for under a grand.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
By djmbow:

"All I know is that locking an entire thread in an effort to censor the remarks of one two offending posters is a bit of an overkill to say the least and it also has the unintended consequence of depriving other Campfire members of their right to continue to express their views on the subject."

Being a member and contributing here is not a right, it's a privelege. Fail to grasp that, and in time the privelege can be taken away.

Per all this whining about right to free speech, censorship, blah, blah, blah.... Some here fail to grasp that with "rights" comes responsibilities.

The 2d Amendment doesn't give us the "right" to commit armed robbery, or pistol-whip anyone we dislike.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
THIS IS RICK'S PROPERTY!

YOU USE RICK'S PROPERTY, AS PER AGREEING TO CERTAIN TRESSPASS RULES.

IF YOU CAN NOT ABIDE BY THOSE RULES, AS TO WHAT RICK DEEMS UNACCEPTABLE TRESSPASS, VOICE YOUR "CONSTRUCTIVE" CRITICISM TO RICK, PERSONALLY.

I WOULD EXPECT YOU WOULD GET FAIR CONSIDERATION FROM RICK, AND EVEN MORE CONSIDERATION FROM HIM, IF THERE WERE NOT CONSENSUS FORMED AGAINST HIS TRESSPASS RULES.

AND, BY THE WAY,I ALSO MISS STICK!

AND, I DON'T SEE ANY PROHIBITION ABOUT STARTING NEW THREAD, IF WITHIN THE GUIDELINES OF RICK'S TRESSPASS RULES.

ALL I'M SAYING ON THIS CRAP!

I see I clicked on a name again, above for EVERYONE!

Last edited by remseven; 02/07/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan, in my opinion deletion is censorship, while locking the threads is a means of dousing some of the flames. But content is still preserved. And there is always the ability to create a new thread.

Considering the total number of threads vs number that have been locked, the risk of a hijack is extremely low. I am not going to run the numbers, but I'd be willing to guess it is in the 1 in 10,000 range, if not higher. Pretty negligible.

So in my opinion, there really is nothing to discuss here.

And the following may sound imflammatory, but is not meant to be so: It sounds like you and many other people here are unhappy with the way things are run, or are unhappy with the the way things have changed here at the forum, or just want to do something different. There are plenty of inexpensive web hosting services that would just love to get you set up with your own forum. You could run it just the way that you want. And you wouldn't have to worry about censorship, banning, political correctness, Californians, liberals etc... As you'd be the one in charge. All for less than $100/year. Think about it, maybe it would be the next big thing in hook 'n' bullet web sites. If you do decide to go that route, I wish you luck.

If you decide to stay here and not strike out on your own, then I also wish you luck, and acknowledge your "right" to gripe. Do you acknowledge my "right" to tell you that your griping is unfounded and baseless? And that doesn't mean I'm a liberal-commie-bleedingheart-treehugger-Californian. It just means that I disagree with you.

Regards,
Scott

P.S. Actually, I do have to confess to being a Californian.

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 02/07/07.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I posted this on the 5th and repeat it for those who care.

We've BTDT in 2000 and should not and need not go there again.

"Quote": After an extended period of time one thread deteriorated into a travesty of what our board has been since its inception. Personal slams and racial slurs became the norm and the usually thoughtful, supportive and cordial atmosphere became poisoned with bluster and bullscat.

Looking at the registration dates and the opinions of many here who oppose or question Rick�s decision it is obvious they have neither the knowledge nor any appreciation of the events that led many of us here years ago.

The history of the �net is rife with failed websites destroyed from within. A classic example is the Yahoo Message Boards which recently shut down due to deteriorating content such as we have experienced. Another is all the shooting/hunting boards that have appeared over time but no longer exist.

My support is 100% behind Rick. I hope others here who have some experience with the history of this site and that of all those which have preceded it or succeeded it and ultimately failed will join me in letting this episode go." Quote".

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MM +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MM +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
djmbow,

Why don't you let those like yourself here bring constructive cristisim to your business. I'm sure you could use it.
What's good for the goose...

I noticed in your profile you never post outside of this particular forum. It tells me you have nothing to bring to the table except
a long string of bull $&^* And that's all it is, you have nothing but opinions. Why don't you go hunting and use some new
equipment and then tell us about it. Learn to be constructive
yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.