Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I am looking into a Garmin 64 st maps. Last week I was hunting and the dark clouds and howling winds came on fast. It got dark before it was dark. It had been almost a year since I was hunting there and everything looked a lot different. I got off course and knew it. I went a bit further and knew something was wrong so I stopped right there. I get out my compass and needed to go south. The compass spins in circles. I am sure there was chunks of iron in the ground cause I have had that happen in northern WIs. a few times before. I get out the gps , the batteries were dead or the buttons were not working. Getting out my flashlight, ( I dont use a flashlight in the woods, ) I knew I ha a north wind and was going down hill . That meant the river should be close , I hoped. Turns out I see the one lone orange ribbon I have for a marker. I was only 40 yds off. I thick I need a cumpass in a GPS that is not effected by iron deposits in the ground. Does the cumpass in the Garmin use GPS or magnetic for pointing north?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by walt501
If you have an Android device, either phone or pad, try Back Country Navigator. You can download up to a 50 square mile area into your device. Then when you're out in the boonies you don't need cell phone reception, the map data is already in your device. They have several topo maps to chose from and they're all free. I use it to explore all around my place in NW Ontario, the level of detail is amazing, right down to small 4 wheeler trails.

I've been using Back Country Navigator on my phone for years and love it. The problem I have is with battery usage...I probably mess up my phones with too many power hungry apps, but I can run a full battery down to 10% or less in a few hours using Back Country Navigator. So while I still have it as a backup (and download the maps for wherever I'm going), I got a Garmin 64 SC last year. I can go all day with the Garmin and no worries about charge, and still have my phone with lots of charge left too. OnX maps on the Garmin is better for my needs than Back Country Navigator on a phone (I like having the state specific info from OnX).

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I learned how to re-fold a road map here while back.

I don't need no fuggin' GPS.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by immature
I have never owned a handheld gps unit. the first one I got is the gps in my moderately-priced Humminbird sonar unit that I use to mark waypoints for trees, rockpiles, etc. when the lake is down at winter pool. I went back to fish them this fall when the lake was several feel higher and found that my sonar unit seems to have a problem with wandering waypoints, sometimes as much as relocating one over a 50yd. stretch of bank on different trips. Once it showed my boat several yards up in the woods. That doesn't seem like much, but when the trees which aren't much more than the trunk and a few large branches left are in a small area it makes a big difference.

I am not getting a new sonar unit for a while yet. I have in mind to get a handheld gps unit to guide me to the exact waypoint after using my sonar unit to get close. What level of accuracy can I expect from a moderately priced, yet good basic unit? I won't be doing land navigation, geocaching, or anything else sophisticated with it. But it does need to be very accurate. Suggestions on units or brands are appreciated.

I recently had "kind of" the same problem...I'm nearing completion of my old pontoon boat restoration and the lakes around here can drop 100 feet or more during the summers...this past winter, the lake I generally go to came up nearly 200 feet....submerging high points, rocks etc. these "high points/rocks" are not marked with buoys....what I ended up with is is a Lowrance Elite 5 DSI....it's a discontinued model but it has a connector for an auxiliary antenna that improves accuracy by a bunch...especially because I have an aluminum hardtop over the console....I picked mine up cheap on ebay and it came with a mapcard that shows to underwater topography....I'm really happy with the accuracy of the unit and I got it for under $150....the trick to finding a good/cheap one on ebay is to look only at the ones with a "buy it now" and "newly listed" EVERY DAY...the guy I got mine from had recently upgraded his bass boat and wanted to put his newer finder/GPS on his new boat. He had listed it only an hour before I snagged it...be careful when buying either new OR used units, because not all of them have a connection for an auxiliary antenna and different models of the same series may lack the same....the mapcards are another matter....make sure the model you are looking for will read the type card you want to use...good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just recently wore out my Magellan meridian gold GPS. It was designed for both land and water use. You could toggle between both modes. It was accurate to within 3yards, with a 3D lock. 9yards with a 2D lock. They are obsolete at this point.
Phone app GPS is not as accurate, or as dependable. Rhinos are not just a GPS with a transceiver, you can also see where any other rhino units are locally on demand, in real time. They work well with keeping people in relative position with each other. I know of one military unit, that bought thier own units to help keep track of thier own people in the field.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Berettaman
try one of the cell phone apps. I have completely stopped using my Garmin Oregon 450 and went to OnX maps. Much cheaper and easier to use. If you dont like it, go buy a Garmin.

This^^^^

I use Garmin Earthmate on my iPhone and REALLY like it.

Last edited by achadwick; 11/26/17.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Berettaman
JMR40,
It is not true that you need service with a cell phone! Not at all! They have built in GPS and work perfect without cell service. I have been using it for years that way. Also, turn it on airplane mode to extend battery life. Turn off all other apps and decrease your screen brightness a little. I can easily have it on all day and still have battery left over. I find it is just as easy to bring a portable cell phone charger as it is extra batteries. give it a try and I bet you will be using your cell phone and keeping your GPS in your backpack! Good luck and thanks for your service as a SAR member!

Quite right. With Garmin Earthmate I can get very accurate position information, land topography, land ownership, and lots other data on my iPhone without an internet connection. The map data are stored on my handheld device, not on a server somewhere.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
I am looking into a Garmin 64 st maps. Last week I was hunting and the dark clouds and howling winds came on fast. It got dark before it was dark. It had been almost a year since I was hunting there and everything looked a lot different. I got off course and knew it. I went a bit further and knew something was wrong so I stopped right there. I get out my compass and needed to go south. The compass spins in circles. I am sure there was chunks of iron in the ground cause I have had that happen in northern WIs. a few times before. I get out the gps , the batteries were dead or the buttons were not working. Getting out my flashlight, ( I dont use a flashlight in the woods, ) I knew I ha a north wind and was going down hill . That meant the river should be close , I hoped. Turns out I see the one lone orange ribbon I have for a marker. I was only 40 yds off. I thick I need a cumpass in a GPS that is not effected by iron deposits in the ground. Does the cumpass in the Garmin use GPS or magnetic for pointing north?

I just bought this Suunto Traverse Alpha GPS watch just for your scenario. The "bread crumb" feature (Hansel and Gretel) will lead you back to your vehicle every time. Well worth the money IMO. BTW, it is on sale right now for $349. I paid $337 on ebay.

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Product...rse-Alpha/Suunto-Traverse-Alpha-Foliage/

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 7 invisible), 1,324 guests, and 650 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,636
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.