Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kent Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Has anyone used a shooting stick from Cabelas? There is one for $15-20, just wondering if this one is any good.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know the particular model you are referring to, but a couple pieces of fiberglass and a little swivel hinge shouldn't cost too much. They will probably be ok. THE question is, have you used sticks before? It will take you 15-20 seconds to get everything ready to go(about 10 seconds longer than a bipod-but no extra weight on the rifle). In your style of hunting do you have the time?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sodbuster<BR>Having used sticks and watched folks fumbling with bipods, I have to give a serious thumbs down to bipods... even if they weighed nothing, and a big thumbs up to sticks. <P>Time 15-20 seconds, most folks should be able to accurately shoot a magazine load before 20 seconds is up, even if they must set up their own sticks.<P>Making a set of sticks is not rocket science, if it were they would have come up with a more distinguished moniker.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I would say it depends on use, time availible, and how much junk you want to carry. I've used bipods, US Marine style shooting sticks, and a couple of shooting slings. <BR> I'll take the shooting sling every time. It allows me to sling the rifle while glassing. To sling it if I need both hands free to cover steep ground. And it cuts my group size by 30%, or better. I discovered that I can shoot as well using my rucksack as a rest as I can with a bipod. The bipod will adjust to allow a more confortable shooting position. But that's only necessary if your firing lots of rounds-like PD shooting. <BR> With my 12 lb. .308, I've noticed I can shoot virtually as well with a sling from a sitting position, as I can using a bipod. The secret is in assuming a really solid position by paying attention to details. I don't think a single stick design can be as steady as a bipod, or a 3 stick set up. I confess that I haven't used one much, but when I tried it, it didn't work very well. So my best guess is they aren't that useful. <BR> For the handgun hunter-using a big bolt action pistol-they might be very useful. E

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sitka Deer If the sticks are like the ones I own, you carry them in your pack or on your belt. Then when you need to shoot, it's part A into part B-1, part C into part B-2. Now adjust the height of the connecter, and tighten it so it doesn't slip. Finally, you can get your rifle. If that is the kind of Cabella's sticks you have, and you can empty your gun in 20 seconds-I'm IMPRESSED. I hope you are talking about the 2 6' tall poles with an innertube set up exactly to your height. Spread em and shoot. Then I can see emptying your rifle in 20 sec(and I don't need to feel inadequate).

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sodbuster<BR>I apologize for coming off a little smartassy there. Had no intention of tromping on plantigrade digits.<P>The bipod shooters I have had to deal with guiding were, without exception, the most clueless bunch of hunters I have ever seen. By the time they got where they could find a hole in the grass to set up and dink with them, and then deal with trying to follow the wounded animal after, (because they blew the easy shot) with the bipod hanging up in the grass, even the brain-dead among them were ready to heave their Harrises.<P>Maybe there are situations where they are usable, but I haven't seen them.<P>I always carry a walking stick and have used it quite a bit as a monopod. Good, but not great. A second stick makes it great. And the inner-tube tied 6' dowels are hard to beat. I started my son shooting rabbits with a 22 and shooting sticks. On his first attempt at age 4 he shot a half-dozen in less than an hour.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Art, a 4-year-old with a half dozen kills within the hour on his first hunting foray? Using sticks and a rifle?<P>That's what I call a good intro to hunting!<P>Way to go. The boy won't forget that day.<P>I'm surprised that you didn't argue against the bi-pods from an aesthetic viewpoint. So I'll do it for you -- anything besides a sling will not find itself hanging from the front of my rifle. That includes muzzle breaks. They are too ugly, even if they did work. (Insert Sitka's signature line here).<P>Good shooting, Talus

Kent Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the input, so far I'll probably try the gun pod. Its four sections extend to 61". For $20 I'll take the risk I won't like it - if it works, that's a reasonable price.<P>Eremicus, I would like to know more about the slings you prefer, or anyone else for that matter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Talus<BR>The fall of '98 will have to go down in history as one of the best bunny years ever. From a single spot we were seeing several to pick from at the same time.<P>Riley shot the first 2 indiscriminately, but when we talked about the best place to shoot them he started head-shooting, and seldom missed. I cut him off at 6, though he wanted to keep going.<P>I believe form and function are really one and the same, but could not agree more that bipods are ugly.<P>E<BR>Sitting is my prefered hunting position, but in Kodiak style bear grass it is not an option until after the snow knocks it down. It will typically run chest high to me, and I'm 6'4". Shooting sticks are perfect then.<P>But I will admit a failure on part to ever learn how to use a sling properly.<BR>art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let me add some enthusiam,for the use of 'sticks. I like bipods for playing,but much prefer sticks for Hunting.<P>I started my Son on them and he does very well with their use. Foolproof,light and simple. Really hard to ask for more.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hi Kent. At present, I'm using Jeff Cooper's CW sling system on most of my rifles. It requires an extra sling swivel stud mounted in front of the front guard screw. Then one just uses a standard Cobra sling reversed. Very fast, and no tendency to close up, like the military slings. <BR> It's also much lighter, and the sling weight is forward of the reciever ring. <BR> Proper sitting position with a sling requires that one sits at 45 degrees away from your target. The sling must be adjusted to pull down hard when your locked into it. The loop should be as high on the upper arm as possible. I insist on leather, not synthetics. It holds it's position better. The most important point is to get one's elbow resting on the flat ahead of the knee, not on the wobbly knee itself. <BR> I really amazed at how well a heavy, muzzle heavy rifle will shoot from this position. <BR> Yes, Art. That tall grass would turn me into a shooting stick enthusiast. E

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Sitka deer, I wasn't upset- I just thought we were talking about 2 different types of sticks. But, I would have been impressed or depressed if you were that much faster than I was with my style sticks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sodbuster<BR>I seldom carry the 2 stick style of rest as most of the shooting done is point-blank and the big part of a deer is big enough... let alone a moose or 'bou. I almost always use a single walking stick and use that for a rest frequently. I can keep a 1" rifle in 2" with the single stick, which is better than I can do on my own hind legs [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <P>When I am taking a kid hunting, which I do way more than my share of (good for the kids and me) I usually take sticks.<P>To be honest, I have never dealt with the high-tech collapsable or sectioned sticks. Looked at some telescoping sticks in the gun shop yesterday, but they were stuck and I was unable to free them up. Needless to say I felt no urge to buy them!<BR>art<P>No offense intended nor taken.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay dudes I'm going to be the opposition here. Bi-pods are a "must have" in the prarie country around here. There's nothing for them to get caught on and there is nothing for you to rest your rifle on. Prone is the best position for stalking and shooting around here. If you have to sit up to shoot it's likely what you are shooting at will be long gone before you even get it in your scope. However I've also used them in other situation where there were tree's, brush, long grass etc. and I'd have to agree that shooting sticks would be better. However in the wide open prarie, or especially just about anywhere pronghorn antelope live Harris bi-pods are a Godsend. Sitkadeer you get down here sometime I'll show you the "exception" and how to whack and stack game via the bi-pod/rifle combo. Guarantee it. Bi-pods are a tool just like the rifle, the more you use it the better a person gets with it. Besides, where you going to pose your antelope to get his head above the grass for a photo [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

Is it Friday yet?
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I'm gonna give another thumbs up to stix !!<P>I use them to hunt everything.. and my wife had killed a cow elk, a bull oryx and just day before yesterday a bull elk using them.. yes sometimes there just isn't time to get setup.. but the added accuracy especially on longer shots is well worth it IMHO.<P>My wife shot the cow @ 225 yards, Oryx @ 264 yards and the Bull Elk @ 300 yards... We use the stoney point stix.. I like them cause there easy to fold up and unfold almost too quick..<P>here's a couple pics for ya !<P> [Linked Image] <BR> [Linked Image] <BR> [Linked Image]

--Steve
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Waycool, VERY nice. Thanks for the pics. Congratulations.<P>Sky, I see your point. Bipods are ugly, but if they gave me that type of advantage I'd have to consider using them temporarily. Heck, my bow and bread-and-butter rifle are ugly, too. I have no doubt that they make the world of difference if one can't get a sitting shot.<P>Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (204guy, 12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.