Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just realized I'm glad he is gone. I mean now a guy might have a chance in the Classifieds on a smoking deal for a SUCKS action, a Leupold scope, or a McMillan stock. That boy was quick on the trigger and one had to be awful fast to beat him to the draw. grinCome to think of it I never did.

Is it Friday yet?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yeah, I'm glad he's gone too, but for different reasons!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ya think he dont have a non posting account on tap just for such an occurrence?? (grin)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't doubt it at all, Lewis! You be careful over there!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lewis perkins
Ya think he dont have a non posting account on tap just for such an occurrence?? (grin)

Ya. and I know what it is !

But I'm not telling a sole..........

hotrodusa.....N.R.A. Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am going to make this last reply on the Big Stick issue. The climate on the 24hourcampfire has changed for the worse. I noticed it happening about two years ago. Big Stick's tone and attitude also changed for the worse about the same time.

He never was shy about calling a spade a spade or running off the idijits. I believe he tried to step on every toe that was overly sensitive. I never got mine tromped on, but then I don't put em' in the way often either.

Don't think BS didn't know he was pushing the limits. I believe he knew exactly what he was doing and made his grand exit for greener pastures. I don't look for him to return to this fourm, that just isn't his way.

I do not agree with every thing he stands for or excuse some of his offensive posts, but I didn't have to read them and I didn't have to reply to them either. I sure knew better than to try to convince him of anything or get into pissin' matches with him.

But you can't deny the guy's level of "been there, done that" and if you had the ability to sift through his personal biases (we all have them) you learned a ton from his sharing his experiences here.

There are knowledgable people still here, no doubt about that, but they are fast becoming out numbered in the recent surge in membership.

As always YMMV.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
He scared away more than a few new members with his acid tongue. If your equipment wasn't like his, he would belittle you. Very poor behavior.

I agree that the climate has gone downhill of lately. Hopefully it will improve. When something like this happens, I remind myself of all the great people that are still here.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just curious, what was the membership two years ago versus now?

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that he is laughing his azz off about all the commotion his departure has created, like PDS said, I doubt he would return even if he was allowed too.....time to let it rest.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 280don
I don't doubt it at all, Lewis! You be careful over there!!

Thanks for the Kind thought, but TOO LATE....

[Linked Image]

lewis

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
OUCH!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a little out of the loop on this-what did he actually do that got him voted off the island?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SlowHand
He scared away more than a few new members with his acid tongue. If your equipment wasn't like his, he would belittle you. Very poor behavior.

I agree that the climate has gone downhill of lately. Hopefully it will improve. When something like this happens, I remind myself of all the great people that are still here.

Slowhand,
On your first point I would politely say Horseshit... He recommended what he ran and had experience with. Beyond that I found him to be open minded. Knowing that I was running a Nightforce BR, NXS(s), and Schmidt Bender PMIIs, as well as many Leupolds, he inquired about what I was running or what I thought on occaision. Never did he belittle any of it... As a matter of fact he brought me into the fold back at Shooters in the mid 90s. And I've seen more of the same here. New shooters who were spared learning by experience. Better yet spared from buying junk. His recommendations were rewarded by the faint ping of copper and lead on steel. There is no better feeling for the nube(or any of us) than the audible ping of connectig with that steel target you thought was out of your range... And was till you learned how...

Touchy feely he was not... However, I dunno of anyone here who has brought as many people to the sport/hobby than Stick. Guys who were one box a year hunters were turned into shooters. And I'll bet you'll find it difficult to find anyone who made that transition that would go back if they were offered a refund check and made to hand over the elevation turrets, extry bullets, and custom tubes...

My question to you and your ilk is quite simple. What do you bring to the campfire other than whining?

Most Modest Regards, Matt Garrett.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who's big stick?

Mule
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He only belittled crappy gear. Some folks got their fealers hurt because either they were jealous of someone with better stuff then them, or they were unable to see the difference between good, mediocre and crap. Can't fall the been there done that and willing to share. I deal with too many candy azzes that can't make up their mind or won't hang themselves on having to make a decision day in, day out and appreciate someone who cuts to the chase.

That said there is a difference between just cutting to the chase and being an a-hole simply to be an a-hole, and that's why he's gone.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Despite Geek-think that they have somehow remade the world with a few chips, the internet is no different from other fields of human endeavor. History is replete with conflicts between the forces that hold societies together and challenges to that 'order' by erratic charismatic figures.

The BS saga here and on a previous site has lots in common with other "real world" humanoid situations. Dominant figures with a few sound and fervently-held, if narrowly-based, ideas often develop intensely avid followings rather quickly.

The pattern is all too commonly seen in religious movements and revolutions. Here on 24hrs, you might recall the phenomenon in the amen-chorus that at its worst became a kind of atavistic, pile-on, behavior. Whether by intent or not, this kind of in your face tends to magnify the group's -- or cult's -- influence in terms of its actual adherents, because most in the middle do not confront bombast.

And so, in a fairly short time, the silence convinces both the group and its leader of the absolute factual and moral superiority of their views. This self-licking ice cream cone leads to making their own rules; breaking them whenever the mood strikes; and becoming more iconclastic -- going off into the desert to fins a purer form of the "idea" etc.

Where does it all end? Sometimes harmlessly, but not always. The balance on damage done is struck by whether the society at large, club, campfire, whatever continues to offer solid reasons for common association.

For me, the contact here with dozens of knowledgeable, helpful, and candid folks remains a compelling draw.

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well said. I suggest this thread (and all others related to the subject) be locked and be done with it. Let's move on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MAN, that has to hurt like hell. Hope ya heal up fast and no lingering after effects.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Matt,

You are desrcibing the Big Stick prior to 2005. In the last two years he got more and more insulting. He starting having conflicts with many of the old-timers. Many times I saw him insult and belittle brand new posters who were asking legitimate questions.

He'd NEVER admit he was wrong, even when it was conclusively shown that he was. He started trying to sound like an expert about areas where he was not, and with the makeup of the board now that just can't be done--someone is always ready to call out folks who do that.

I have no interst in the Stick of the last two years, but I do very much miss the "old" Stick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the last two years he got more and more insulting

Surely Matt can't say Stick didn't belittle folks on a normal basis, as of late. No matter if it were about equipment or just in general, it makes no difference.

Roads

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.