Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just curious , is it still legal to hunt Jaguar anywhere???????

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by comerade
I have a slightly different attitude about this.I worked as a game guide in my younger days and simply was not impressed. The last hunter I ever had flew in from the arctic having killed # 28 , a polar bear and now was to find a Shiras moose with me. Well, we got a decent Bull right away and he didn't appear to enjoy any of It, didn't care for the Rocky Mountain scenery and even mentioned that the Polar.bear hunt was uninteresting. This guy just wanted SCI to award him . I Don't think he even liked being outside at all and he was no help getting that bull out of the bush, I caped it and promptly took him to the airport.Bye.

Unfortunately there are people like that and they have the audacity of calling themselves hunters.

Having worked in a couple of camps, I would say the percentage of these " Hunters" is rare around here. But they exist. I would not call these so much hunters as I would call them shooters. They rarely have input on strategy , unless it is too difficult, and fully expect the guides to "Do their Job!!!" Not my idea of great camp mates usually either.............

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
There's 30 critters on that list, not including the auxiliary. I do believe it is the Cali Bighorn, which is a desert subspecies of Rocky Mountain bighorn that isn't part of the North American 29.

Anyhow, I have a grand total of 8.

The Rocky Mountain, California, and Desert Bighorns are all sub species of Ovis Canadensis. Grand Slam Club/Ovis will accept either a Rocky Mountain or a California Bighorn for that subspecies on their list.

T_Inman, what are your 8 critters?

You're right...I shouldn't have said "sub-species" as that indicates scientific and genetic reasoning...I probably should have clarified that big game scoring organizations separate the Desert Bighorn from the Rocky Mountain bighorn....but they consider the Cali Bighorn the same as a Rocky Mountain Bighorn.

Anyhow I have taken:

Rocky Mountain elk
Mule deer
Whitetail deer
Pronghorn
Shiras moose
Barren Ground Caribou
Black bear
Cougar

I have killed wolf too, but it isn't on the NA29.
Like Buzz, I am not too concerned with slams and "lists"...I just like chasing critters and seeing new country.

I got lots of points in several states for bighorns and goats...plus I keep putting my name in NM and ID's sheep hat, but no luck. One of these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you steal some of Mark's lucky mojo in Alaska? He seems to have drawing luck as good as anyone.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hell no. I have never seen anyone with the draw luck that guy has. He pisses me offlaugh...

I put in for everything in WY, MT, NM and AK as well as the ID sheep and Maine moose draw. These are the states that either have no point system or you don't need to buy a full license to buy/accumulate points. I quit AZ and NV and never bothered with OR, WA and UT (I need to look into VT and NH)...as I would rather put the money for licenses and point fees towards overseas hunts.

edited: MT is expensive ($70) for their moose, goat and sheep draws...though $20 of that buys you your bonus point...but there's no "point only option" so if you want your bonus point you have to pay the $50 app fee too. No big deal to me really, but it does get confusing trying to keep all the state's systems straight in your head, plus I am in too deep with Montana's system to stop now..

It's all good...I'll happily take my general tags and keep on marching....

Last edited by T_Inman; 11/03/17.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by wyoming260
I have a slightly different attitude about this.I worked as a game guide in my younger days and simply was not impressed. The last hunter I ever had flew in from the arctic having killed # 28 , a polar bear and now was to find a Shiras moose with me. Well, we got a decent Bull right away and he didn't appear to enjoy any of It, didn't care for the Rocky Mountain scenery and even mentioned that the Polar.bear hunt was uninteresting. This guy just wanted SCI to award him . I Don't think he even liked being outside at all and he was no help getting that bull out of the bush, I caped it and promptly took him to the airport.Bye.

Unfortunately there are people like that and they have the audacity of calling themselves hunters.

Having worked in a couple of camps, I would say the percentage of these " Hunters" is rare around here. But they exist. I would not call these so much hunters as I would call them shooters. They rarely have input on strategy , unless it is too difficult, and fully expect the guides to "Do their Job!!!" Not my idea of great camp mates usually either.............
Yeah, these type of people are rare but I have seen a few while working for different outfitters. I cannot believe they are not giddy, thrilled to hunt under these conditions.I Don't believe folks like this even look at the mountain peaks. I was raised in them and often look at them in disbelief they are so awesome!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The ones that really get me are the ones that invite themselves to go with you...then are late, grumpy, bitch about hiking so far, slow you down and end up killing a good critter when you didn't (which really isn't a big deal)....then they act like: "I had to get up at 4 in the morning for that?"

I've had this happen a few times, and to this day I still have not killed a critter that was as big as the one they got...one was a 10" tom turkey and one was an awesome whitetail buck with 3 drop tines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, these type of people are rare but I have seen a few while working for different outfitters. I cannot believe they are not giddy, thrilled to hunt under these conditions.I Don't believe folks like this even look at the mountain peaks. I was raised in them and often look at them in disbelief they are so awesome!

What I admire most about some of the more successful posters here is that their thrill to hunt is actually that. They don't all punch the tag every time but they still enjoy what they do.

I enjoy ambling through game country and carrying a rifle. Don't make a lick to me if it's a squirrel timber or pronghorn prairie. I am grateful that my dad and uncles found the time to get me into situations where I learned to love the hunt.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, and

Whitetail
mule deer
pronghorn
&
black bear
and 1 cow elk when I was 14

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just curious , is it still legal to hunt Jaguar anywhere???????

I don't believe that it is legal to kill a Jaguar anywhere. And if you did, the USFWS would not allow you to import it into the States. There may be countries that would allow you to dart a Jaguar "for scientific purposes" like Jim Shockey did on one of his shows.

I also just use the SCI and GSC/O lists to learn what animals are available because I like to hunt new animals and new areas.

I ran into a couple of "list" guys on a couple of my African hunts.

The first guy came with his PH (guide) to the concession that I was hunting so he could shoot an Eland. I talked to him after he shot his Eland, and he told me that he had become very successful in his business
and although he had not done very much hunting at home, his new found friends from his business told him he should go on an African hunt and gave him a list of animals that he should shoot. He said that he didn't have any idea what any of the animals were, and after he shot the Eland he was anxious to get on to the next animal on his list.

The other guy was a retired airline pilot who was big into the SCI slams. He was with the other guide on the concession that I was hunting. I would see and talk to this hunter at and after dinners. He was after one or two small African cats and a Hyena that he "needed" for one or more SCI slams. He "had" to get them on that hunt so that he could register them in time for the awards at the next SCI convention. He left that camp several days before I did, and in talking with his guide afterward, his guide just laughed and told me that this guy only cared about shooting these animals for his slams. The guide told me that when they found some Hyenas, the guy was so obsessed in just killing a Hyena that he didn't wait for the old male and just quickly shot the first one that came into the clear.

I was at a sport show last winter in Las Vegas where that guide had a booth. Even though he had not been my guide, and it had been 10 years since I had hunted at his concession, he saw me before I got to his booth and he came out to greet me and acted like we were long lost best friends.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by johnw

What I admire most about some of the more successful posters here is that their thrill to hunt is actually that. They don't all punch the tag every time but they still enjoy what they do.

I enjoy ambling through game country and carrying a rifle. Don't make a lick to me if it's a squirrel timber or pronghorn prairie. I am grateful that my dad and uncles found the time to get me into situations where I learned to love the hunt.

I had a lot of fun so far elk hunting this year, seen plenty of elk, had Way too close encounters with moose. Hunted new areas, Dragged out and packed elk, even put down a sick cow elk..... But have no meat to show for it. And I am satisfied.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Hell no. I have never seen anyone with the draw luck that guy has. He pisses me offlaugh...

I put in for everything in WY, MT, NM and AK as well as the ID sheep and Maine moose draw. These are the states that either have no point system or you don't need to buy a full license to buy/accumulate points. I quit AZ and NV and never bothered with OR, WA and UT (I need to look into VT and NH)...as I would rather put the money for licenses and point fees towards overseas hunts.

edited: MT is expensive ($70) for their moose, goat and sheep draws...though $20 of that buys you your bonus point...but there's no "point only option" so if you want your bonus point you have to pay the $50 app fee too. No big deal to me really, but it does get confusing trying to keep all the state's systems straight in your head, plus I am in too deep with Montana's system to stop now..

It's all good...I'll happily take my general tags and keep on marching....
Living where you do, you do as well on general tags as I do on permits! laugh He does have a good knack for drawing tags.

Might want to reconsider putting in for UT. It's $65 for the license, but you can make that stretch for 2 years. If I draw pronghorn in WY next year, I might come a few days early and see if my dog can find a sage grouse. I'll trade sage grouse tips for beers! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You got it...I killed 16 sage grouse this last year...which means I had to eat 16 sage grousefrown Easily got my limit every time I went out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like eating them! Kinda like beef liver. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
white tailed deer
mule deer
antelope
that's all folks

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This list has all the stuff that Jack O’Connor or Warren Page would have hunted, but it really needs to be updated. For starters I’d add javelina, all of the wolf and fox sub-species, alligator, and coyote. Even though they’re not native, I’d also add feral hog, Axis deer, fallow deer, mouflon, aoudad, blackbuck, and nilgai because enough of them are running around loose that you can honestly expect a shot at one if you hunt the Southwest, even without visiting a game farm. And if we use that as a criteria, then we can add feral goats, sheep, and donkeys because you can shoot as many of them as you want in Hawaii.

Also, if we’re going to list walrus and jaguar, then let's include sea lions, 20-30 varieties of seals, and a bunch of other endangered and/or protected species, which will make this list completely irrelevant instead of just partly irrelevant.

That said, I’m not willing to stoop to armadillo—I have to draw the line someplace.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 11/06/17.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Living in Montana, you don't have to go anywhere else to find something to hunt. I have been fortunate enough to kill all the "Big Ten" in Montana. The best part is you can almost do it every year...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I really don't need to measure my dick against anyone else.

Last edited by las; 11/07/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by las
I really don't need to measure my dick against anyone else.

Interpreted this means you suck as a hunter?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Living in Montana, you don't have to go anywhere else to find something to hunt. I have been fortunate enough to kill all the "Big Ten" in Montana. The best part is you can almost do it every year...

You are tremendously luckier than I am in the draws.

I'll agree that you can hunt Mule and Whitetail deer, Elk, Mountain Lion, and Black bear every year. I think your second deer has to be a Whitetail doe. Antelope licenses have been reduced so it isn't a guaranteed draw every year any more. There are still a few "unlimited areas" for Bighorn sheep, but now if you buy a tag you have a 7 year wait before you can buy another. Moose, Goat, and Buffalo are also on a very low odds draw with Moose and Goat also on a 7 year wait after you draw a tag. You can buy a Buffalo hunt every year on Turner's ranch (which I did one year).

I've applied every year for almost 40 years for Montana Sheep, Moose, and Goat tags and every year that they have offered Buffalo tags. I also have the maximum number of "bonus points" for each species. I drew my last Goat license in 1978, my last Bighorn ram license in 1983, and my last Moose license in 1988. Back then they didn't have the 7 year wait restriction if you drew a tag. I am still waiting for my first Buffalo license.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,502 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,002
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.