-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Air Force Academy discovers racial slurs were hoax, months after superintendent lauded for tough speech
By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News

A racist message posted outside an Air Force Academy dorm in September was written by one of the alleged victims, the school confirmed Tuesday, casting blaring initial coverage of the incident -- which lauded the school superintendent's forceful reaction in an apparent bid to ding President Trump -- in a new light.

The student who wrote the slurs, which were discovered in September outside the rooms of five black students at an Air Force Academy dormitory in Colorado Springs, Colo., was no longer at the school, the Academy confirmed. A spokesman declined to say whether the student withdrew or was expelled, citing privacy laws. The student’s name was not released.

In a written statement Tuesday, the academy said: "We can confirm that one of the cadet candidates who was allegedly targeted by racist remarks written outside of their dorm room was actually responsible for the act. The individual admitted responsibility and this was validated by the investigation."

The surprising announcement was a jarring turn in an episode that prompted the superintendent of the Colorado Springs academy to deliver a stern message warning students that racists were not welcome at the school.

The speech, delivered by Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria, attracted nationwide attention and was viewed more than 1 million times on YouTube.

In his remarks, Silveria forced all 4,000 cadets to stand at attention shortly after the slurs were reported.

"Reach for your phones. I'm serious: Reach for your phones...Grab your phones. I want you to videotape this — so that you have it, so that you can use it, so that we all have the moral courage together,” Silveria said.

"We would also be tone deaf not to think about the backdrop of what is going on in our country," Silveria told cadets, referencing the recent violence in Charlottesville, Va., Ferguson, Mo., and controversial protests in the NFL in which dozens of players have knelt during the national anthem.

He added: "If you can't treat someone with dignity and respect, get out."

A diverse array of political figures, such as Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and former Vice President Joe Biden, a Democrat, praised the speech, which was reflected in The Washington Post's coverage of the incident.

Media outlets such as The Washington Post, Axios and The New York Times played up coverage of Silveria’s five-minute speech, praising the academy’s superintendent.

The Washington Post ran an opinion piece, titled “Too bad Trump can’t emulate the military when it comes to matters of race.” The piece compared Silveria’s response to the slur to Trump’s response to the events in Charlottesville, when a woman protesting white supremacism was killed.

“Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria did naturally what Trump is incapable of doing. The Air Force Academy superintendent answered the hate in his ranks immediately, head-on and with a moral clarity nonexistent in the Oval Office,” the piece stated

Trump was heavily criticized for his Charlottesville remarks, in which he condemned violence “on many sides” following the incident.

“We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence – on many sides, on many sides. This has been going on for a long time in our country,” Trump said during a press conference.

Following calls from lawmakers to disavow racists and white supremacists, the White House issued a statement.

On Wednesday, the Post covered the academy’s investigation but noted “hate crime hoaxes” were rare, according to experts studying the subject.

“These hoaxes have become symbols for some who want to promote the idea that most hate crimes are hoaxes,” Brian Levin, the director for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University at San Bernardino told Talking Points Memo as reported by the Post. “That’s important to rectify.”

The Post also noted another incident in Kansas last week where police discovered the owner of a vehicle was responsible for defacing his car with racist graffiti.

The incident outraged students at the nearby Kansas State University, the Kansas City Star reported.

“As a black student who has witnessed racist incidents first-hand around Manhattan this hurts the credibility of students who actually want to step out and say something about it,” Andrew Hammond, a student at the university, told the Kansas City Star. “I’m not sure what type of human being does this kind of thing as a prank.”

In its morning newsletter the day after Silveria's speech, Axios made the remarks its top item.

“If you're starting to forget what a leader sounds like, we have a refreshing reminder to start your Friday,” the report began before highlighting the speech’s talking points.

In its newsletter, Axios had not yet covered the school’s discovery that one of the alleged victims wrote the racial slurs.

The New York Times covered Silveria’s speech as well, calling it a “resounding message.” The Times noted Silveria’s achievements in the Air Force and the Academy’s difficulties with addressing discrimination in past incidents.

As of Wednesday, the Times pulled in a wire story from The Associated Press regarding the investigation.

Despite the hoax, Silveria said Tuesday he stood by his speech.

"Regardless of the circumstances under which those words were written, they were written, and that deserved to be addressed," he said in an email to The Colorado Springs Gazette. "You can never over-emphasize the need for a culture of dignity and respect — and those who don't understand those concepts, aren't welcome here."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

From FOX News

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Da fuq?

laugh

“These hoaxes have become symbols for some who want to promote the idea that most hate crimes are hoaxes,” Brian Levin, the director for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University at San Bernardino told Talking Points Memo as reported by the Post. “That’s important to rectify.”

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Staged and covered by the media loving every word of the AZZ chewing. I bet the retraction isn't covered by 5% as much.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's time we all agree: Black Lies Matter.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like that, better take on BLM

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This just in........... the cadet was identified as Twanna Brawley

Last edited by cv540; 11/08/17.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I called that one when I first read it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's time we all agree: Black Lies Matter.

Just not really. No one does a thing about stuff like this and it happens with much more frequency than actual racist graffiti or other demonstrations of denied 1st Amendment rights.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"The surprising announcement was a jarring turn in an episode that prompted the superintendent of the Colorado Springs academy to deliver a stern message warning students that racists were not welcome at the school."

Well, I guess they got rid of one.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fox also seems to have screwed the story up. Other websites are saying it was neither the AF Academy nor an academy student, but a student at the PREP school for the Academy. An entirely different and separate institution.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Fox also seems to have screwed the story up. Other websites are saying it was neither the AF Academy nor an academy student, but a student at the PREP school for the Academy. An entirely different and separate institution.

From the statement: In a written statement Tuesday, the academy said: "We can confirm that one of the cadet candidates who was allegedly targeted by racist remarks written outside of their dorm room was actually responsible for the act. The individual admitted responsibility and this was validated by the investigation."

It says that she/he/it was a "cadet candidate" which means that the person was likely a Prep school student.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it weren't for AA, the academy likely never would have admitted the student and could have used the spot for someone who was qualified.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Was just there this past weekend to enjoy watching ARMY BEAT AF with brother who started all four years there. In talking with him and several of his classmates, they all pegged this as a Poopster who could not cut it.

Lott, you are 100% correct.

Duty, Honor, Country
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Beoceorl: I have investigated many "hate crimes" (racial, homosexual type etc etc etc) where it turns out the "victim" was the in fact the SUSPECT!
This has been going on for decades.
I think these false reports are based on the victim/suspect's being taught throughout their lives that they ARE victims and when they are NOT victimized in the way they expect to be, they victimize themselves!
Sad state of affairs/society this.
Two bull dagger professors here in Montana set fire to their own home attributing it to "homophobics" in the area and of course it later turned out that the bull daggers were the arsonists.
Self inflicted politically motivated "victimizations" are rampant anymore - not just a rarity (i.e. tawanna brawley etc etc etc).
More proof liberalism is a mental disease.
Again, sad!
This young negro has victimized himself right out of a wonderful opportunity/life here in the United States of America.
He has NO ONE to blame but himself and the people that inflicted the "victim mentality" into him.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
accusations like this are almost always faked by the very people complaining about it.
When a liberal with an agenda runs into the brick wall of reality, they just create a new reality that fits their world view and agenda.

I am sure Lt. Gen. Jay Silveria won't be resigning over this debacle.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/08/17.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The person that intentionally did this should be charged with a hate crime. Nothing exemplifies hate crime more than lying about racial strife in order to foment hatred between races.

I’d be surprised if some white kid that is smart enough and committed enough to get into the academy would do something so stupid. I am sure there’re examples out their but it’s rare. A minority lying or embellishing is not, unfortunately, rare.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I look forward to the day the armed forces ditch the pajamas and go back to wearing uniforms. But I'm not holding my breath.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 3,251 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,258
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.