Print Thread
Hop To
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ma wants to buy pa a game cam for x-mas. They get a fair amount of wildlife around their house and they'd like to see whats on the prowl, so to speak. She started asking me questions and I couldn't answer because I know nothing about them. So here's what she wants:

-Affordable (they're retired and on a budget)
-Waterproof (live on the Oregon coast)
-Simple to operate (don't want a lot of messing around with it to make it work)
-Able to take pics in the dark (don't want a flash going off every time the wind blows or the cat walks by)

Make some recommendations and if you have any tips, tricks or hacks to help them operate efficiently and take better pics, throw that out there too. Any help is appreciated!

3-2-1-Go!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i like the Browning cameras. Seem to hold up well for several years.

I just got 2 refurb'ed for $103 off ebay

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They are great if you don’t have lots of pigs. I quit putting mine out, because I was sick of deer and Turkey pics.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Most cams available today offer all the features they are looking for. I picked up an 8MP Wild Game Innovations model (new) for $30 at a local hardware chain (Menards). Look around for those bargains.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
walmart usually has combo packs for cheap this time of year and closer to Christmas....any of the new ones will work just fine and most are fairly simple

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with my $100 Bushnells. They've even been swatted around by bears a few times. Just remember to take the batteries out in the off season.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like my Wildlife Innovations game cam.

R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks fellas!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got a couple of coverts...they are easy on the batteries, take sharp photos, and relatively cheap. That's the good. The bad: will take pics of blowing grass all day, both of the ones I have are warranty replacements. I bought 3 about 4 years ago. Now I have 2, and there both replacements. If I recall the originals all failed in driving rain.

I also have a Reconyx. I've had it for 6 years and no sign of slowing down. Only complaint is sometimes I get azz end pics of deer that are moving through, which shouldn't happen on a $600 camera. It also burns through the batteries faster than I'd like. But, very durable. If I had to pic between covert and reconyx I would definitely go with Reconyx.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I bought one. On sale.

Have yet to read the directions...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the new Moultrie we have but I would seriously look at the Cabela's models with a lifetime warranty.
We seem to only get about 2 or 3 years out of a camera no matter what brand.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by las
I bought one. On sale.

Have yet to read the directions...

Directions are nothing more than someone else's opinion.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a few Stealth Cams on sale from Midway. I don't have any basis for comparison, but they do what I want them to do. Set up was simple and I use one of the factory pre-set modes. No technological challenges. Though the range tends to be shorter with the low glow LEDs, I recommend them. They do not alarm the animals at all. I don't buy anything from Wild Game Innovations. Their owner is a jackwipe.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/wildg...ely-recent-charges-poaching-elk-wyoming/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I've had good luck with my $100 Bushnells. They've even been swatted around by bears a few times. Just remember to take the batteries out in the off season.

This. The batteries will corrode and have to clean all the contacts.

Originally Posted by readonly
I've got a couple of coverts...they are easy on the batteries, take sharp photos, and relatively cheap. That's the good. The bad: will take pics of blowing grass all day, both of the ones I have are warranty replacements. I bought 3 about 4 years ago. Now I have 2, and there both replacements. If I recall the originals all failed in driving rain.

I also have a Reconyx. I've had it for 6 years and no sign of slowing down. Only complaint is sometimes I get azz end pics of deer that are moving through, which shouldn't happen on a $600 camera. It also burns through the batteries faster than I'd like. But, very durable. If I had to pic between covert and reconyx I would definitely go with Reconyx.

I tried the coverts several years ago. Got them on sale at a sports/ hunting show.

Would take pics to the batteries ran down. Check it and would have 10k+ pics of grass blowing in the wind....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had good luck with Moultrie, good battery life, can take multi-pictures on a trigger if you want, does video, good trigger speed.

The one requirement you mentioned that you are out of luck on "when the cat walks by", it will take that, the only way around that is aim it higher but then you miss other "cat sized" animals.

However remember a 2GB card holds about 1000 pictures, so a few cat pictures won't fill it up

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 11/14/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just don't trust them to always trigger when there's a deer or anything else in the area. Last night I was in a bow stand that has a camera (Moultrie) pointed at the trail. Had a little fork horn come through and spend several minutes right in front of the camera at less than 10 yards. A little later a young doe spent quite a while in the same area, most of it withing 15 yards directly in front of the camera. Not long after that, another doe came through the same spot and I shot her at 12 yards from the camera. Checked the camera card this morning and had one picture of the fork horn, one of the younger doe, and none of the one I shot even though it was in the sweet spot for a couple minutes. It did get one of me as I walked through the field of view to pick up my arrow. All in all, the 3 deer spent 15-20 minutes in front of the camera and I got 2 pictures total. I've got it set for single picture, 30 second delay.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ykrvak

Directions are nothing more than someone else's opinion.

grin LOL

R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
All good info here, appreciate it. I'll pass on what's been said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really liked my Primus 46HD until it stopped taking color photos...

I bought 4 Browning Trail Cams, but the trigger time is vastly slower than the claimed .67 second. More like 2-3 seconds. Disappointing.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Having owned many of the name brands there is only one brand worth a crap - Reconyx. Buy once cry once

Last edited by Ghostman; 11/24/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.