Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Guys:

A few years back I bought a load of McMillans and resold a bunch of them. In that pile of over 400 stocks were a few designated by McMillan as "Mountain Hunter Kevlar Specials." They were NICE. Made by McMillan for the Rem Custom Shop, and were not available otherwise. (I also got some Remington "Kevlar Safaris" and "40XB KS," but that is another thread). Stiff as hell, and ultralight (The one on my Ti is 25 ounces, full length bedded).

Aaaaaanyway, over the years have seen various comments about how these stocks never existed, or that there has never been a Rem KS with checkering, or that these were nothing but Mountain Rifle patterns made with Kevlar. I chuckled, knowing that what was in my safe did not lie. Welp, I am down to two of these stocks, both used on rifles for personal builds, and I may be down to just one here pretty soon since I am thinking of selling my original Ti. Were the Ti metal not already full-length bedded and the stock painted and finished, I'd be looking for a Ti takeoff to sell the metal with. But alas ...

So, it's time.

Here is a McMillan Mountain Rifle pattern:

[Linked Image]

You'll notice the checkering pattern, and also the shape of the cheekpiece.

Here is my Sisk .338 Win Mag (not for sale) built on the Mountain Hunter Kevlar Special:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And here a McMillan KS pattern, which does not have checkering.:

[Linked Image]

As you can see, the MHKS is NOT a Mountain Rifle mold. It is a KS, with checkering.

This is pretty much the best stock that has ever come out of the Rem factory, Custom Shop or not. Oh if they ONLY would have dropped the original Tis in these MHKS instead of what they went with!!

Anyway ... smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Epic.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks awesome! This thread should be a pop up. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What's for sale exactly?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Looks awesome! This thread should be a pop up. grin

Yep!

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Unburdening oneself often has a cost. smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Okay, since these are not in production run now for the Remington factory, McMillan should be able to freely produce them for sale to the public.

Rick--can you get a group order going for us with McMillan?

In short action?

Last edited by DakotaDeer; 11/13/17.
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect that mold is long gone, but it can't hurt to ask.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting post!
Until experiencing a really good stock, it is easy to underestimate just how nice it can make "carrying" characteristics, as well as shooting. 'Specially in this era of tupperware.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RickBin
I suspect that mold is long gone, but it can't hurt to ask.

I once contacted them directly about another discontinued model stock, and they still had all of the molds in storage. They only will bring them out if it's worth their time to sell more than one copy.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RickBin
Unburdening oneself often has a cost. smile

You post pictures of the mystery stock that never existed and now tell us we can't have one?!

What a Stink Bug. laugh

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.