Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12386286 11/09/17
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
After it gets here I'm going to send a 700 SPS .270 to JES to have it rebored to .338-06. My question is regarding the number of grooves. He offers 3 groove for $225 or 4 or 5 grove for $250. Which is better?

Last edited by magshooter1; 11/09/17.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've heard good things about JES until I saw this post. It's long but worth reading before you make up your mind. Not very good customer service.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/3061008432

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Dang. If not JES where to get the barrel re-bored?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

My experiece with JES at about the same time as the guy with the problem was perfect.
Not even the slightest hiccup. Very quick turn around time too.

He took a Douglas barreled rifle in 30-06 that would not shoot worth a flip with any load I
tried and bored it to a 35 Whelen. It is very accurate now.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my experience with jes was great .

Ed

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Labman95
I've heard good things about JES until I saw this post. It's long but worth reading before you make up your mind. Not very good customer service.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/3061008432

So to summarize that thread, a guy fires some loads he got out of a manual, that were originally tested with commercial brass, using thicker military brass and starts blowing primers.

So knowing from the first rounds he fired that there is some problem with pressure, he continues to shoot the rifle with over pressure loads until he manages to blow it up.

To me, the barrel looks like the effects of a barrel obstruction, but that aside, the guy knew from day one that there was a problem somewhere, either with the rifle or ammo, and continued to fire off rounds, with not even a fleeting thought of taking the rifle to a gunsmith to check it out and find out where the problem lies.

All this is from the poster's statements and assumes that events unfolded exactly how the poster said it did...so there's that... but now he maintains that the rifle blew up because JES screwed up the barrel re-boring and wants JES to fix it, so JES sends him back his action and an original barrel...I can only assume that JES might not have had a lot of patience to deal with this guy beyond that point.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but it's hard not to watch a good train wreck.

Now... what's wrong with that 270?

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Winchester M/70 that Randall Redman rebored to .35 Whelen, he is no longer accepting rebore work due to sizeable backlog. Cliff La Bounty rebored a S&W M/27 revolver to .44 Special before he retired, and I have another M/27 rebored by the gentleman who took over Cliff's business. Both the rifle and the revolvers are very accurate and I would not hesitate to undertake another rebore.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It seems that no matter how good your business is someone is going to either have a bad experience or make one for you. To me, I accept this as normal and look at what the bulk of the comments on a business are. One bad comment in a field of good does not dictate the day.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the above, you cannot make your decision based on one sour grapes comment. No matter how hard you try there's always the individual that cannot be pleased.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I followed that thread but had some of the same doubts about the owner of the gun. Really need to look at how many people have sent guns to JES and been completely satisfied with them. It's easy to key on on one person with a gripe. If you look up reboring threads on different forums you'll find dozens, if not scores of replies from guys who have had JES do work for them and been very pleased. Myself included.

I cannot speak to the number of grooves as to which is better. I had JES do a three groove 375 Whelen and it shot great. Cliff LaBounty did a five groove 35 Whelen for me and it thinks it's a varmint gun.

I am a fan of reboring. I've done two rifles and friends I shoot with have done another three. All shot as well or better than the original rifle.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I was about to come to the same conclusion myself. There’s so much positive feedback on JES. I shouldn’t let one bad experience cloud my decision.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had great luck with rebores from both JES and Dan Pederson at Classic Barrel & Gunworks (www.cutrifle.com). In fact, the rebores shot better than the original barrels. A good rebore is usually at least as good as a new barrel.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by magshooter1
I was about to come to the same conclusion myself. There’s so much positive feedback on JES. I shouldn’t let one bad experience cloud my decision.

When the 338 Federal had been out for a year or so, I spoke to Mr. Ocumpaugh about converting a spare Savage 99 from 308 to 338 Fed. He told me that he had done a couple of jobs like the one that I was asking about and the guys who had had it done were getting high pressure signs with factory ammo, so he recommended against it. I think that it speaks well of him, as most people won't turn business away and will blame the user if the job doesn't work out well. I would trust Mr. Ocumpaugh's advice, since he probably has more experience in that area than most.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree with John. And why not?
The thing that makes a rifle barrel "good" is the quality of the bore and chamber as well as a concentric crown.

On the highest quality barrels the steel itself is worth about $6-$10. The rest of the cost of a barrel is all about labor and quality machining. So machining the old barrel to high standards is the same as machining a new piece of steel to the same standards.

I usually recommend a new barrel because unless there is some reason to retain the old "look" of the original barrel. The new one gives you options you may not have with a re-bore (like a linger barrel or a heavier contour or different contour is it was wanted)
But there are times when re-bore is a better option and as John said, there is no reason a good job is not going to be just as good as a new barrel.

Last edited by szihn; 11/12/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

I did an article on reboring a year or two ago, and interviewed some reborers. Dan Pederson suspects that along with the quality of a new cut-rifled bore, the reboring process also provides some more stress-relieving to the barrel steel, thus potentially improving accuracy in another way.

One of the barrels he rebored for me was a factory button-rifled barrel in 7mm STW that never shot very well at all, no matter how many handloading and rebedding tricks were tried. Dan rebored it to .358 Shooting Times Alaskan, and it became VERY accurate, despite the much larger bore, which had to reduce stiffness.

I suspect a lot of shooters who refuse to try rebores somehow equate them with retread tries.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had JES take a M3366 30-30 with a bubba'd bore out to 38-55 with the 3 groove rifleing. I use nothing but cast bullets, but this thing is really accurate and cleans easily. He was quick, professional, and he will get more work from me if the right options come up again.

Last edited by Ole_270; 11/12/17.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Had JES take a M3366 30-30 with a bubba'd bore out to 38-55 with the 3 groove rifleing. I use nothing but cast bullets, but this thing is really accurate and cleans easily. He was quick, professional, and he will get more work from me if the right options come up again.

Didn't you kill a deer with that last year? I have a few spare 30/30's around, thinking hard about a 38/55. Do you use Starline brass and don't they come in 2 different lengths?

Thanks

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Al Siegrist has rebored two handguns for me that shoot very well. I have heard good things about his rifle reboring as well. He has been at it for well over 40 years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Ole_270

Didn't you kill a deer with that last year? I have a few spare 30/30's around, thinking hard about a 38/55. Do you use Starline brass and don't they come in 2 different lengths?

Thanks

Sure did get a doe last year with the 38-55. Loaded Starline 2.082 length brass with 21gr 4198 and a home cast 250gr bullet. Accurate 38-250B sized to .377, plain based, cast at about 9-10 Bhn. Velocity is about 1440fps. Shot was at less than 30 yards in heavy timber, slightly quartering to me. Bullet took a section of the heavy shoulder bone back through the ribs and left it in the lungs while the bullet continued on it's path and exited in front of the far flank. Doe stumbled less than 25 yards before dropping.
Got another load I'm wanting to try this year, 32 gr. 3031 over the same bullet for 1600+fps. Probably use a slightly harder 14BHN bullet because that's what I've got ready.

Some argue that JES doesn't use the traditional bore size on the 38-55, some of the original Marlins went up over .380. JES uses .3755-.376 or so, not sure exactly his specs. It's a Saami chamber with the slightly smaller bore and groove in case someone wants to use standard .375 jacketed bullets. The bigger bores run into problems with cast bullets because when sizing to .001-.002 over groove size, you "sometimes" end up with the case of a seated bullet being oversize to the chamber and throat depending on how they were sized. At least that's my take on the situation.
Since I'm only running cast on this rifle I went with JES and size everything to match. Works great for me. I'm not necessarily a traditionalist on everything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W Nickle, Eatonville, WA (Now deceased) did an excellent re-bore cut rifling to 338-06 on an original but worn pre-64 M-70 in 30-06. Used the better steel
in the original barrel and it really shoots accurately. Thought they were rare until I ran into a custom early Model 70 with a Super Grade style
stock. It was also re-bored and re-cut rifled to 35 Whelen on the original barrel. This rifle
came from Boise, Id. and it will not be returned to the seller.

An interesting re-chambering is the 348 Ackley on the Winchester Model 71. It turns a moose rifle into a moose and bear rifle
with 270 Gr Hawk bullets. Keith was right all along about larger calibers.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.