Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a first generation Ruger RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor that is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. First day I owned it I took three shots to sight it in at 100, shot one three shot group, and then took it to the 200 yd range. First three shots with Hornady factory ammo put three shots I could cover with a dime.

I hunted with it from a stand and filled my tags with neck shots. I'll admit it would be pretty heavy to lug around all day long stalking game.

Love the 6.5s and filled lots of tags with a Tikka in 6.5x55.

Texas bred and born
HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Yep. IMO, balance is best determined "ready to hunt" with scope, mounts, and a full magazine.

The balance point shifts backwards quite a ways in fighting form.

Indeed. And in that form, the creed settles very nicely in hand. I'll try to compare "fighting form" and report back.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a Vanguard and a couple Savages. I like the Savage better.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by old70
My Bergara is feeling left out here. The action needed a little smoothing, however, once it broke in, it's very nice. Not pretty, but I like the heft and balance. Hope to have the opportunity to use it this year.

Old70

I'll second this. I love my Bergara Hunter - it's like an improved Rem 700. The slightly heavier barrel contour seems to help the groups as well. This is my one and only CM - so far so good!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
It's a genuine shame Barrett stranded their Creedmoor with a 21" buggy whip barrel, instead of the nearly perfect contour they put on the long action Fieldcraft... I'd have been an owner at a 22-24" no.2 contour.

Nah, the contour is excellent. Mine shoots way outside of it's weight class. In fact, no other factory rifle I've ever seen or handled even comes close to holding a candle to the Fieldcraft. They are head and shoulders above a Montana (and should be for $1600). They have pretty much rendered custom rifles useless to me...

Tanner

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
It's a genuine shame Barrett stranded their Creedmoor with a 21" buggy whip barrel, instead of the nearly perfect contour they put on the long action Fieldcraft... I'd have been an owner at a 22-24" no.2 contour.

Nah, the contour is excellent. Mine shoots way outside of it's weight class. In fact, no other factory rifle I've ever seen or handled even comes close to holding a candle to the Fieldcraft. They are head and shoulders above a Montana (and should be for $1600). They have pretty much rendered custom rifles useless to me...

Tanner

I've put a lot of rounds through a 6.5 Fieldcraft the last couple of months and I really like the little rifle. Way more accurate than it should be and I'm with you on nothing else coming close to it in factory form.....except the long action Fieldcraft, which loses the generous mag box. Everyone has preferences, I'd prefer the short action have the same contour as the long action and cut at 22".

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I agree with Tanner. I have one in 6.5 CM and it shoots 1/2-3/4 moa at 600 yards with factory or handloads. Shoots way better than it should no matter how you hold it. I haven't shot it off hand, but have dry fired it alot and seem to be able to hold it as good as other rifles I own. I've never held a LA FC, but the short magazine length killed it for me. I was tempted to go with the 6.5 Swede, but the short magazine length was a killer. I'm not sure why they made the SA with plenty of room but not the LA?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JimD.
I'm not sure why they made the SA with plenty of room but not the LA?

I believe they were sticking closely to Mr. Forbes original footprint. If they's stretched it a tad and gone 700 mag box length I think it would be untouchable, especially with something like a .280AI. It's not horrid as is, but it could have been better.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Tanner

How'd you scope yours?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

Tanner

How'd you scope yours?

10x42 MQ in SWFA rings on a rail.

RL-17 and 140 VLDs are doing better than 2800 and shooting pretty wicked...

Tanner

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree with Tanner. I have one in 6.5 CM and it shoots 1/2-3/4 moa at 600 yards with factory or handloads. Shoots way better than it should no matter how you hold it. I haven't shot it off hand, but have dry fired it alot and seem to be able to hold it as good as other rifles I own. I've never held a LA FC, but the short magazine length killed it for me. I was tempted to go with the 6.5 Swede, but the short magazine length was a killer. I'm not sure why they made the SA with plenty of room but not the LA?

The long action magazine has plenty of length for the 6.5x55.

RBO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Well said Brad. Melvin Forbes got it right 30 years ago.

Melvin suggests to build the model 20 Creedmoor with a 22" number 1 contour barrel with a 1:8 twist, but the difference is Melvin builds his rifles so that they balance properly to steady the rifle, it's all about the balance.

That being said I think a model 20 Nula with a 1:8 twist, 22" #1 contour barrel 6.5 Creedmoor would be the perfect Creedmoor.

Last edited by RBO; 11/13/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone tried the Christensen Mesa. Hard not to like. Mine shoots whatever I feed it, love the ergo's, not sure how I'd improve it.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The long action magazine has plenty of length for the 6.5x55.
Stuffed with Lapua brass and Scenars would make it quite the winner I think. I know it'd cover alot of bases for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Jason,
Serious question here - in a remington vs barrett comparison - outside of price, where do you see the remington having the advantage?

I just like the 700 action, it's light enough for me, and there is plenty of aftermarket.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No aftermarket needed with a Barrett..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
No aftermarket needed with a Barrett..

I agree, but don't have one.

The point of my original post, 2nd post in this thread, was the fact that a guy can get a factory 700 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor now. That option wasn't on your list. And I know several people that didn't realize that Remington is chambering it now.

If I wanted "light", I'd certainly be looking at a Barrett. But, a 700 would do what I want/need.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/15/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trying to decide what to sell to get 18-in. Fieldcraft 6.5.

It'll handle about 85 percent of my outdoor chores for approaching dotage.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The market will be flooded with used kimbers...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It already is....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,480
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.