-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally shot my 243 today and pretty much laughed my ass off. 100 gr Power Points and 100 gr Blue Box shot MOA. Dope off the box was on, at least to 330. Load development was just the Walmart gal putting ammo in a bag.

No magic trigger spring blah, blah, bedding, blah blah or mag box blah blah.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like my American rimfire. Can’t bring myself to buy a centerfire.

Every time I about convince myself I need one, I pick one up and remember how cheap the mags and stock look and feel and say fuggit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep looking at the RF Predator and the new Target. You know how it is: get a new scope and that means the old one needs a " ride". I'm really hoping they bring those two out in SS eventually, especially the Target.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RAR's are a lot of fun if you don't take them seriously and get them for cheap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will add though, that scoped, in hand, it balances nicely. The only thing that comes close in all the rifles I've had is a Montana 84L M8 6x42.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pappy348 - purchased a new RAR Predator in .243W as I wanted a heavier barrel than the Marlin XS7C sporter already in the safe . It did what Ruger said it would do. It is accurate if a bit homely.
NO glossy blue job and certainly NO "XXX" grade walnut stock BUT you're not paying for that. What you get is a rifle that will put a bullet into a tight group for not a lot of $$$. Simply put: the RAR
does what it was designed (and priced for). Homesteader

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
I will add though, that scoped, in hand, it balances nicely. The only thing that comes close in all the rifles I've had is a Montana 84L M8 6x42.

And , if you bought 10 Americans and 10 Kimbers Montanas in identical calibers ,the Americans would likely Kimbers right out of the box.

Which is pretty sad given the cost difference.

Last edited by jk16; 11/06/17.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Bought my wife a compact in 7mm-08 and it seems ok feeds fine and is accurate.
The stock is what it is I've had worse (Stevens 200), trigger does feel gritty but is not bad other than that, only dislike is the non locking bolt just have to watch going through brush.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I picked up my second Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. And my dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet To sight it in with and try out on some hogs at the Ranch.
I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

For those of y'all that have the Predator version in 6.5 CM, what ammo are y'all using on deer or hogs and which ammo shot better in your gun?

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/08/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While you are at academy. Look at the $20bx hornady Black.
140gr hpbt ( i believe).

Worked well enough for pigs.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a compact 308 for my girls to use for moose hunting. Got tired of cringing when they were packing around a more expensive rifle, so got something cheaper. Should have gone 7-08, but didn't want to get set up for a different caliber. Been happy with the rifle, it serves the purpose well. Got a 2-7 scope on it that matches well with the size of the rifle. I've considered getting a 223, nice that they are fast twist. Would make a nice truck gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Pappy348 - purchased a new RAR Predator in .243W as I wanted a heavier barrel than the Marlin XS7C sporter already in the safe . It did what Ruger said it would do. It is accurate if a bit homely.
NO glossy blue job and certainly NO "XXX" grade walnut stock BUT you're not paying for that. What you get is a rifle that will put a bullet into a tight group for not a lot of $$$. Simply put: the RAR
does what it was designed (and priced for). Homesteader

And that's a sensible approach if it satisfies your needs and wants. My go-to economy bolt gun is the stainless 77 Mark II or 77 Hawkeye because I don't like DMs, especially plastic ones, and prefer bottom metal to bottom plastic, but those are just my notions. I'm willing to pay a bit more for what I want rather than settle and seethe over something less acceptable to me. My newest Hawkeye All Weather, a.223, was very reasonably priced and scratches the right itches for me. Might be the last rifle I buy, actually, as I think all the holes are filled (assuming I don't dream up any more holes🤔).

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Whitaker’s has the standard RAR in .30-06 for $250 right now. Thinking about picking one up, hack the barrel to 20”, and throwing a fixed 4x Leupold on it.... use it for a loaner/back-up/timber elk rifle.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dogshooter,

That seems like a good deal. I was considering doing that to a Remington 700 in 308 as far as cutting the barrel to 20”. What’s that cost? It’s stainless.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Costs about an hour....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I picked up my second Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today at my LGS. And my dealer made me a heck of a deal on a open box Leupold VX-3 in 4.5 x 14 x 40 with the AO. Mounted it on some weaver style Leupold medium rings and got it bore sighted.
Unfortunately, it rained here all damn day, so I couldn't get to te Range to sight it in and see how well it shoots. cry

I bought a couple of boxes of the Hornady Whitetail ammo with the 129 gr Interlock bullet To sight it in with and try out on some hogs at the Ranch.
I'll hit Academy tomorrow and see if the have any of the cheaper Winchester Factory load with the 125 gr bullet. I've heard several people say that it shot real well in their 6.5 Creedmoors.

For those of y'all that have the Predator version in 6.5 CM, what ammo are y'all using on deer or hogs and which ammo shot better in your gun?

Finally got to shoot it today!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

First group is with the Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo with the 143 grain ELD-X bullet @ 2700 fps

Second group is with the Hornady Whitetail Ammo with the 129 grain Interlock bullet at 2850 fps.

I also shot a group with the Winchester Deer Season XP Factory Ammo with a 125 gr bullet that looks like a big ass Ballistic Tip 5 shots @ 100 yards went about 1.5" it's cheap enough I'll probably use it for a hog load at the Ranch.
All three loads shot to the same point of aim at 100 yards. That never happens for me!!!

And I think I could have shot much better if the RUGER American trigger didn't suck so bad! How hard are they to ajust or lighten the pull???
Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/15/17.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Might have to break down and buy a Timney trigger for this one. grin

Do it. You’ll love it

I have two, (1 rimfire and 1 centerfire) and both Timneys changed the entire RAR experience.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Timney is, IMO, well worth the $120+/-.

For me, the biggest negative about the RAR-Predators is that the stock doesn't fit me as well as I'd like and the only option that I'm aware of are a few different styles from Boyds. I find it more than a little annoying that Boyds is selling a steel trigger guard for their RAR stocks for $30+/- above the price of the stock and the parts kit with a crappy plastic trigger guard that comes with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like hearing all the positive comments on the American. Sure seems the majority gives it the thumbs up. I tried one out awhile back , gave it whirl , just couldn't warm up to it. Passed it off to a friend who loves it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rimfire okay.

Centerfire, no thanks. You can buy quality used rifles at a similar price everyday of the week.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.