Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Okay, what's the strangest, or oddest, or maybe out of the ordinary thing you've ever done to get permission to hunt a particular piece of property. I imagine that a lot of us have pulled some stunts in order to get to hunt a good spot. From the 1980's until about 2000, I farmed fulltime. I also was obsessed with deer hunting, and when deer season was in, that was my main priority. I rented several small farms, and tracts of land supposedly for farming, but in reality just to get the deer hunting rights. I didn't keep track of the money, but I'm sure I lost big time on them, as they were, for the most part, not good crop land. I also once quit a good paying job, in part because it interfered with my hunting.

There was a local farm that everybody wanted to be able to hunt, but the owners wouldn't give permission. It was owned by an old woman and her daughter. One year my brother told me that he'd gotten permission to hunt there, and I could go with him. I asked him how he did it, and he said he'd tell me sometimes. Years later, he confessed that he had slept with the daughter, and she had in turn let him hunt. The daughter was not pretty at all, and I asked him how it was. He said better than he expected, but he wouldn't do it again for a lifetime of hunting.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr

The daughter was not pretty at all, and I asked him how it was. He said better than he expected, but he wouldn't do it again for a lifetime of hunting.

That's what he was tellin',....but he was probably over there wearing it out on a regular basis.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The daughter was not pretty at all, and I asked him how it was. He said better than he expected, but he wouldn't do it again for a lifetime of hunting.

That's what he was tellin',....but he was probably over there wearing it out on a regular basis.

I thought the same thing myself, but she soon married our cousin, and got caught with another man real soon. I think that pretty much put a stop to my brother wanting it anymore.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

He may have been wearing out Granny. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman

He may have been wearing out Granny. grin

That was my thought.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Around here, landowners who don't hunt lease their property, so about the only thing I have ever done is open my wallet. Can't even imagine the days of knocking on a stranger's door somewhere in the country and getting permission to hunt.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had business cards printed specifically for hunting. I hand one over the instant I arrive and allow the landowner the time to look at it. They all like the card and although I don't get on everywhere I ask, I am still getting free access to some properties.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
looks vs sex.... never figured out that connection for some reason... but then I guess I"m different.

Can't say that Ive done anything otehr than ask or pay to hunt. Wouldn't lease land for other uses just to hunt, most folks around here would lease for farming but tell you u can't fish or hunt, our lease contract says the same with the guy that has the cattle on our place.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gave a landowner a Patrick McManus book. "They shoot canoes don't they?"

300 acres with a 6 acre lake. Had it for roughly 10 years and his next door neighbor was my best friend, owning an adjoining 1600 acres. Deer, turkey, dove, quail and ducks, and an amazing fishing hole where all three of my daughter's caught at least one 8-10 lb bass. 50 minutes from my front door.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also home to several "Indian Princess" camp outs, (like cub scouts only for little girls), and "Perch-offs", a local fly fishing club competition and fish fry.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To get permission to hunt on one farm I had to agree to come back during the summer and winter off season and shoot coyotes and fox.
It took me all of 2 seconds to agree to his terms.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an acquaintance that controls access to a good chunk of public land. He lives at the bottom of a box canyon. They don't have any money and need alot, so to gain access I do something for him each year, usually outdoors. It was an unspoken contract that until this year we had never even discussed. Yesterday I trailered his truck 30 miles to the shop for repair. When we got back home I ran the excavator on his property for 4 hours.building a retaining wall, moving dirt, removing stumps, recutting grades for a shop pad.

In the past I rebuilt his kitchen floor, (they'd been walking around a 12" hole in the floor for 7 years), installed irrigation lines in his pasture, graded his yard, brought him gravel, moved rocks with the Bobcat, brought him firewood others had cut and cut firewood for him myself.

Oregon has an unlimited amount of public land so I don't need to do this to hunt, but it's an encouragement for he and his wife to get the help, and it helps keep me a little more grounded. I get pissy about it sometimes because while he's 71 and has bad legs, his biggest problem is he's lazy. I.E. he waits until October/November to cut any wood, and then it's all soaking wet and won't burn. I figure if a guy hasn't figured out to cut wood early and let it dry by the time he's 71 years old he's got bigger problems. Every year I tell myself that's it, I'm done screwing around with this, but by next fall I soften up and cave in again. It doesn't hurt that he's got record book bucks up that canyon either! I've taken some dandy bucks up there over the years, and a really good black bear he was having trouble with. Called that one in with a fawn bleat, that was a heck of a hunt. I don't hunt there every year but I do something for him each season anyway. If I don't hunt it myself, I take a lot of inexperienced guys or people that want to get a good blacktail up there.

I don't mind giving my time and a little fuel, but I don't think I could bring myself to pay thousands of dollars to access a few hundred acres. Living out west we have access to millions of acres of mountain country we can hunt for free. "welfare hunting" you guys call it. That's ok, it's a way of life in the west with all the govt land available.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/15/17.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are those that think the only real elk hunting is by packing several miles into the wilderness with a 65 pound pack. Then packing the meat out on top of all the weight brought in with the back pack.

More than once, I have helped a rancher out with some manner of labor or trade to get access. Work is work, backpacking or building fence it all takes time and energy. The older I get, the easier it is to build fence than pack into the wilderness...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A lot of the hunters around here are quite grateful to have somewhere to hunt.

There is a lot of Block Management land around....so access is pretty good.

Quite often people send wine or jelly or jerky or something, even if they dont need to. Its a nice gesture.

I guess its maybe because more and more land gets leased up or posted.

The out of towners are generally very courteous.....its the local guys you have to watch out for.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
A lot of the hunters around here are quite grateful to have somewhere to hunt.

There is a lot of Block Management land around....so access is pretty good.

Quite often people send wine or jelly or jerky or something, even if they dont need to. Its a nice gesture.

I guess its maybe because more and more land gets leased up or posted.

The out of towners are generally very courteous.....its the local guys you have to watch out for.

If my truck gets stolen while hunting out of state, they will get a few handles of whiskey. I always carry a few bottles in case I need to ask a favor and need a "thank you"gift. Used it more than once. Use to carry a carton of Marlboros too but that seems to have fallen out of favor.

We used to pheasant hunt a farm in SD and they would let us stay in a trailer on the property while hunting it. All we had to bring them was 2 bottles of jack daniels. We usually threw in a few homemade pies or something from mama.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I always send a Christmas gift of some sort. Flowers, steaks, or a ham.

I have a rarely used lane to into my section of the farm. About ten years ago, I was dragging mud out on the main road as I left the farm. I asked her if it would be OK if I put down stone at the entrance. She said no problem, so I did. She called me up and asked if I would do that to the other entrances to the farm. She wanted to pay me for it, but no way. I went down there and spread about 20 tons at the other entrances. She was so happy.

A couple of months ago when I called her to make sure I was good to go, she made mention that she needed to get some decorative gravel for a spot at her business warehouse and offered to pay me for it. There was no way I was taking her money. I sent one of my trucks other there with a couple of tons of what she wanted and dropped it off. No skin off of my back. It's not too much to do for a person who will gladly let me hunt.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I, being already married, tried to get my best friend to marry my wife's distant cousin. Her parent's own over 30k acres in Texas Hill Country. He was very open to the idea until he met the COEXIST, Greenpeace, global warming supporting hag. Plus, she looked kinda like Hulk Hogan in drag. He said no amount of land in the world was worth it, ha. Fortunately, her parents were great and let me come hunt all I wanted for a while.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just bought my own ranch, ended all access problems

Cat, the other white meat!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Buckskin
Just bought my own ranch, ended all access problems

That's my ultimate game plan.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by RJY66
Around here, landowners who don't hunt lease their property, so about the only thing I have ever done is open my wallet. Can't even imagine the days of knocking on a stranger's door somewhere in the country and getting permission to hunt.

This.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
just be a good guy.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (358WCF, 1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 63 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,538
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.