Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
At 55 years and 15-20 lbs too heavy, mine runs around 126/68 if I'm not talking politics. mad

DANG Gunner, your OLD ! wink

Glad your not having to take BP Meds yet, like the rest of old farts. Actually, I'm two years older than you. grin
I'm also about 20 lbs over over weight. I have to take BP Meds to lower my tachardia. Basically, every one in my family has a heart rate of around 90 to 95. BP Meds lower it to 75 bpm and makes my BP run at 105 / 70.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
At 55 years and 15-20 lbs too heavy, mine runs around 126/68 if I'm not talking politics. mad

DANG Gunner, you're OLD ! wink

Old maybe, but a HOSS of a dude... cool

Still a lot younger than Ingwe... blush

But, that would include almost everyone... grin

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When my BP started getting over 130/?, my doctor started saying that he wanted me on meds. I resisted because when ever they take it in the doctor's office it just goes up. So they started taking it multiple times during the visit, but it was still hanging over 130. He told me to buy a BP Cuff for home. I started taking it in the mornings and at night. Over about a year it slowly crept up almost to 140 and sometimes over that. I was having head aches and got pissed off easy. He said he wanted me on meds, but I told him I was afraid of the side effects. He told me that the side effects of NOT taking the meds was that you can die. I started on Valsartin the next day. Hang around 120/75 now. No more head aches and I'm much more chilled out now. I feel a lot better.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
In the news today, medical experts have just changed the limits for high blood pressure. The old numbers were 140/90 signalling hypertension. The new cutoff is 130/80. "Normal" is still 120/80.

That means that millions of people who were "near normal" before are now classified as hypertensive. The reason, they claim, is that even a slight rise in BP leads to other serious illnesses.

But the effect will be lots of new prescriptions for statins, and the hidden effect will be that little box on insurance applications. Now, millions of people will have to check that "Have you been diagnosed with hypertension?" box. Watch your insurance rates go higher than your BP, folks.

I see you still wear your Tin-Foil Hat.

Nope, Rocky is spot on, on this one!

And what about my BP being generally 120ish when relaxed at home, but sometimes not that low at the docs office, especially if I'm there because I'm sick.... nuts...

I keep saying they will eventually lower it to healthy BP is dead....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Just turned 65.

Went to the doc. yesterday for a follow up blood pressure check.

I dropped about seven points from my last visit six months ago.

I'm 132 over 80 now, and my doc. says if it keeps coming down, I may be able to get completely off my meds.

They still want the top number under 130.

Been on a low carb. diet, and have lost 30 lbs. in the last year.

Seems to be working for me!

Virgil B.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot of different factors can effect BP. I have the white coat syndrome. I go to the Dr. and the BP rises at least 10 points. I'm constantly in pain from arithritus and I take ADvil. Both pain and Nsaids raises your BP. I have my own cuff, don't use wrist or finger cuffs.Sit with both feet flat on the floor, back against the chair and breath deep,let out slowly. Put the cuff on bare skin,not over clothing.

I changed Dr's last year.He immediately put me on a different BP meds. It screwed up my mind some thing fierce. I quit everything for 3 months until it all settled down.Then since I had some left for my old persription, I went back on that. All these drugs work on your brain, not your heart or blood vessels. Your brain tells them what to do.If you start on a new med and side effects crop up. Question your Dr. I found out a lot of these side effects, the Dr.s don't even know about.

It took me about 6 months to convince this Dr. that my statins were having serious side effects on my muscles and joints.I had to keep quitting and the restarting until the symptoms came back. Don't blindly trust your doctor

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
See my earlier post about "snapshots". If your doc is relying on a single BP reading at each of your visits, he needs to go back and relearn his basic science. To get an accurate picture, you need to record a series of readings at intervals.

Like I said, it's like trying to determine a rifle's accuracy with a single group.

I believe strongly in taking charge of your own health and its care, and being your own advocate. Not the same as "playing doctor", more like being an active partner. A good doctor should respect and appreciate it. I have my own cuff, and take and record my BP and bring the record to my dr. appointments.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
saddlesore's post makes a good case for developing a relationship with your pharmacist. They often know more than doctors about medications, and can sometimes spot problems with the wrong medication. For example, mine noted that Xanax, along with other contraindications, should not be prescribed to patients over 65, and I'm well past that. My primary care doc prescribed it for sleep, and after he retired his successor renewed it.

My VA doc also explained why it is bad news, kills memory among other things, and said that a lot of docs prescribe it because patients like it, called it a "feel good" drug. They leave the office happy.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lower numbers might cause a shortage of commercial drivers... or anyone needing the license for other employment... max allowed use to be 130/90 lower that and might be a bunch of experienced drivers in trouble!

Phil

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Libs are ok with a BP of 200/130, just sayin.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
When my BP started getting over 130/?, my doctor started saying that he wanted me on meds. I resisted because when ever they take it in the doctor's office it just goes up. So they started taking it multiple times during the visit, but it was still hanging over 130. He told me to buy a BP Cuff for home. I started taking it in the mornings and at night. Over about a year it slowly crept up almost to 140 and sometimes over that. I was having head aches and got pissed off easy. He said he wanted me on meds, but I told him I was afraid of the side effects. He told me that the side effects of NOT taking the meds was that you can die. I started on Valsartin the next day. Hang around 120/75 now. No more head aches and I'm much more chilled out now. I feel a lot better.

mine has been as high as 208/135......

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
my grandmother lived with high BP till 94 when COPD got her from smoking for years.

Her BP could go up to 220, don't recall the lower number..... They tried to get it down, and when they did she could not function, her MD, an old school MD, said some folks are different, try to keep it under 180 and she kept it around that and 170 IIRC.

Amazing how some things work.

I"m just about convinced that no matter what we do, we are here X number of days and not much is going to change taht.... though I could be wrong.

I sure think I"m correct though that heredity plays the biggest role. Bad genes and best diet and exercise and you still have issues. Best genes and don't take the best care of yourself and you are still liable to be here many many days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
same here, my mom has already had high blood pressure. std isue i think. she keeps on ticking.

a lady i worked with for years, a few years younger than me just had an aortic valve blow out. not good.

her husband is a preacher. one would have thought he'd prayed and gained a miracle, but there's a shortage.

while i do believe doctors, medicine & the industry does help to prolong life, when one's time comes there's the decision.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

DANG Gunner, you're OLD ! wink

Old maybe, but a HOSS of a dude... cool

Still a lot younger than Ingwe... blush

But, that would include almost everyone... grin

DF

LOL Men, as long as we're still on this side of the grass! smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Lower numbers might cause a shortage of commercial drivers... or anyone needing the license for other employment... max allowed use to be 130/90 lower that and might be a bunch of experienced drivers in trouble!

Phil

This is the first thing I was thinking, my dot physical is due in spring so we will see.

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Some time back, I had an uncontrollable nosebleed. Claudia drove me to a "Doc in the Box" care center. They took my BP and the idiot said "Is it always this high?" and I said "Only when I'm bleeding to death."

I'm on Lisinopril, and most of the time I'm at or under the new "limits" but I really don't give a rat's patootie what the numbers say. I'm 70, active, in damn good health, and if I kicked off in the next week, I've lived a life many would envy. My Doc agrees with that, BTW. Nice guy, for a young snot.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ruger438
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Phil

This is the first thing I was thinking, my dot physical is due in spring so we will see.

These new guide lines will put me out of service.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
getting a dog will lower your BP , this is a proven fact.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by persiandog
getting a dog will lower your BP , this is a proven fact.

will getting two dogs lower it even more? my pack of sibes & half-sibes about done me in. but that was several not just one. lol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I see you still believe in the tooth fairy, steve.

I also volunteer to be the realist in the room. The insurance companies welcome any blurb from any publishing that would allow them to raise rates.

I just got my quotes for next year. It was supposed to have gone over a $130 bucks a month after I sunsetted some coverage. Now with new rates? $20 less.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.