Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The wife is deadly from a sitting position, though is getting quicker and more comfortable off of shooting sticks. She’s taken an elk and a Bighorn from prone, and her most recent (now residing on the wall) Pronghorn....offhand! It was supposed to be mine....she was quicker out of the truck than me! mad It truly “sucks” to be the “designated driver”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Am most happy when I can take a good solid prone or sitting position with a stable rest. However am certainly prepared to take an offhand shot if needed. The sling has been a great help with this.

Looking back, I've actually taken a fair bit of game with offhand shots, typically in fast moving, fairly close range situations.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of my shots this year was from atop a large downward sloping boulder, about the size of a dinner table. Was not really able to get prone because of the downslope angle so I lay on my left side. Had to use my pack to elevate the rifle above the willow and oakbrush.
Once I worked through new yoga position it ended OK.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably 80% prone off a pack or bipod, 10% sitting off the Harris and 10% off hand

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm a still hunter for the most part....If I see them first, I use a convenient tree for a rest. Most of the time though, they see me first. A lot of offhand shooting.

When participating in drives, I am always one of the drivers so any shots I take are up close, personal and offhand.

I'd figure about 75% offhand, 20% from a rest of sorts and the other 5% kneeling or prone.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't think I have ever shot a big game animal offhand. Generally sitting off shooting sticks, and pretty often prone off a pack.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
this is a very good question, i shooting stick for me while big game hunting, ever since i witness a bear attack. it was just the best and only way to get it done safely.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sitting off sticks usually and off hand when I'm close.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I can remember 1 I shot prone. The rest were the best supported position I had available at the time. Quite a few off hand a few left handed offhand too if they got too close behind me to the right. I always plan to have a rest for support. Sometimes you have to take what you get though.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I haven't needed to take an offhand shot in many years. I've always been able to find a rest of some kind. I always carry 1 trekking pole which has many uses including as an improvised rest. With a little practice, you can use the pole against your leg or in many other ways to steady a rifle. One trick that works great is from a kneeling position. Hold the pole and the small end of a twig with the same hand. Pull away from the bush and lay the rifle over your wrist. The pole will control height and twig will keep it from swaying.
The pole is also a great hiking and balance aid for us older guys.

I am with you on this, for the shooting position depends on the terrain and things like trees and other, as well as the type of game hunted. For example, where I hunt moose I have never shot offhand since there are all kinds of trees and things I can support the rifle on. I also hunt from a stationary position on a rocky knob where I can use not only trees to support the rifle, but wooden tripods that I build and place in strategic locations. In this area I can only shoot while standing, but I also carry a tall bipod that I can use if the need arrives, but I have never used it. The most steady rifle aim for a longer shot is one where the rifle is supported at the front, just ahead of the trigger guard, and also around 3" from the recoil pad. A friend of mine shoots targets at long range while supporting his rifle at the front, and the stock with a bipod. He wins competitions that way.

I learned the shooting positions when in the military, and my favorite was the prone. But I doubt that I will have the chance to shoot that way where I hunt because of the tall brush and trees blocking the view.

Last edited by Ray; 11/18/17.
IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thursday I used an electric pole standing.

I use a rest of some type for 99% of my shots any more. Bi-pod, mirror sitting, tripod, tree, hood, box, standing. Prone off a pack if terrain will allow. We have some huge boulders on our property and used them as shooting rests also. I bet it has been 5-6 years since I took an initial shot off hand.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't have percentages but the vast majority of mine are braced in some way.

For the last several yrs I've been using Stoney Point shooting sticks (2 legs).
Before that I was in deer leases and shot from box stands.

I have shot some deer off hand but it's not my preference. I assure you I'm much better
off hand shooting moving (walking or running) deer. The fluid movement makes it more certain.
I'd say I'm only 50/50 at standing deer off hand.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
This year;
elk, sitting w/sticks 230 yds.
2 antelope, sitting w/sticks, 1167yds.; 1@ 120yds.
deer, prone @ 310 yds. over daypack.
4 shots fired!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fascinating topic and thread. I am a bit surprised at how few shoot offhand, but then, like Okie John, I go east to hunt mule deer and waaay east to hunt antelope.

At least 50% of my shots lifetime have been offhand, probably more. When possible I prefer a brace: lean on a tree etc. A high percentage of my shots are under 50 yards, and a lot of those are offhand. As I age, I risk spooking game in order to get a more solid shot.

I've shot two antelope prone and can't think of another animal shot from a prone position. Can recall two shot from a sitting position, braced on my knees. In my haunts we can't see game when prone, and bipods are seldom right for the terrain and vegetation. Lately I have been carrying a wooden walking stick, similar to what writer Sam Fadala called a Moses Stick. Wood is quieter than metal or carbon sticks and I discard and pick up new ones frequently. It is infinitely adjustable to its full length. At least half of my shots have been braced by a stick in recent years.

When I call game, and I call every kind of critter that I hunt, I pick up a stick on the spot to use as a brace and trim it as needed to fit the terrain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
60% from a shooting house or tree stand with a rail
20% kneeling
20% off a mono pod

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mostly from a rail of some sort in a stand, be it a box blind, tripod, or ladder. Some minor amount of offhand when a situation presents itself, and some sitting on the ground with my back against a tree.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Necessity is the mother of invention, and for me that mostly applies to some creative finding or spur of the moment construction of a secure rest. My ever present pack frame has served in most instances.

1Minute
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I try not to shoot off hand. Most of my shots have been between 100 yards and 300 yards. I prefer to use some kind of rest and most of the time I can find something. Occasionally it's only my trekking pole. But that's better than shooting off hand.

I can shoot reliably well in the sitting position specially when it's down hill.

KC
'

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two deer in the past two weeks split my stats:
1. 30 yards while I was standing and steadying the rifle on a wooden walking stick I'd picked up. My front hand was lightly gripping the stick and rifle fore-end. The deer was standing still.
2. 40 yards offhand while standing, at a walking deer with a be-quick-or-don't-get-the-shot.

The first deer dropped on the spot with a high shoulder shot as it angled slightly toward me. Mule deer doe. The second deer went 28 yards with a broken low shoulder plus heart and one lung taken out. I wobbled and hit two inches lower than intended. Whitetail buck.

Still running 50-50 on offhand shots. vs rest/steady braced shots.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/30/17. Reason: clarity
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the deer I've taken in the past 10 years have been shot off a sandbag placed onto a 2X6 shooting rail while sitting in a folding chair.

The new tower blind I built is considerably more primitive-- just a 1X3 top rail with pipe insulation covering the top surface. I'm still figuring out how to get the swivel recliner hoisted in.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 48 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,058
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.