Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Jeff, my latest venture is a light weight Colt carbine with irons shooting ball ammo. Sure I've got a couple of AR's that shoot 10 shots under an inch but I've killed just as many coyotes with a 1.5 MOA gun. That same gun would ring a 7" plate out to 400 yards pretty regularly. Right now my interest is shooting matches geared towards off hand shooting. You're interest is in Camp Perry, you've no use for mine and I've no use for yours. Who's right and who's wrong?

Oh and right now with my eyes, I'm lucky to get 4" groups (10 shots) with irons and M193 without bags but I'm loving it.

Neither is right or wrong.
And first and last time I was at Perry they still required us to shoot offhand too. LOL.

I'll just be stubborn and stick to the fact that only precise guns are accurate.

Where has a precise gun been a burden? Maybe thats another way to look at it.

Or if my gun is good enough to lung shoot a deer lets say, but all I can see is a patch of the head or neck through a hole in the brush... I have yet to see a negative to an accurate gun. And a 1.5 moa gun is not a head gun on deer at 200 yards or beyond in my books, and as such nothing I want to be burdened with.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There is no negative to an accurate gun as long as it's light and quick on targets. I just don't see the need for a match barrel and match ammo when it's not needed.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Just some random thoughts in no particular order that may be of no particular value:

My PSA middy has their double chrome lined barrel with an FSB on it and averages about 2 inches for 5 shots of M193 when it's pretty warm. That may be the norm for PSA or it may not, who knows. It does show some POI shift up and to the right when it starts getting hot. I'm going to change that someday by shaving the FSB and putting a free float handguard on it. Hopefully that will take care of that and maybe my accuracy will get a little better too. If not, no biggie. I got it cheap.

Sometimes when the 1st three shots look really good, I stop. Sue me.

This barrel is also over-gassed. It irritates TWR to no end, but I've made peace with it. I'd rather it be a little over-gassed than under-gassed; I know it will cycle that dirty underpowered Russian crap, and I think PSA had that in mind when they drilled the gas port. Maybe someday I will find out exactly what parts break on guns gassed this way. I'm sure TWR will say "I told you so.." and then show pity on me and slip me a new bolt key or whatever.

It's kinda funny, but when I was carrying issue rifles, mil-spec sucked. When I had to buy my own, mil-spec was the gold standard. Except for the accuracy part.

Some perspective: a long time ago, far, far away.........I wore out the black on a 500 yard KD range with a clapped-out M16A1 made by Hydramatic shooting M193. In the snow half frozen. Seriously, the temp was in the low 20's and I thought my balls would frostbite before I got out of the prone. Trigger control? I couldn't even feel it. I was 19 at the time, and to date it's still my proudest achievement with a rifle. The 300 meter qualification range was a freakin' cake walk.

TWR's rifles don't shoot that bad - he just don't see that good. If he would stop hoarding ammo he could afford corrective lenses. He does shoot fast though.

Last edited by ridge; 11/07/17.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When you can't see, you shoot twice as fast and twice as many just in case.

And if you'd shoot that PSA more often things might start breaking but no, you have to shoot the Faxon... I wonder why that is? wink

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
By my count the PSA has a little over 600 rounds through it. Surely we can draw some sweeping conclusions from that..........

IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
with an fn barrel and you bought a decent BCG I am thinking its going to last a long time, break in period for the double chromed barrel is 2000 rounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had good luck with PSA for a while but got a barrel with rifling so rough primers were popping (not FN), their customer service convinced me to shop elsewhere.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My limited experience with them so far has been very positive.

Two flat top uppers, 1/7 and 1/8, from their Daily Deals. Easily found sub MOA loads shooting with scopes off the bench.

Had an issue with a full auto BCG and dealt with Dylan at customer service. Excellent service and he sent a return shipping label right away.

I'll buy from them again.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.