Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
JB (if I may call you that) At what point does one qualify to be a Rifle Looney? I thought of these things when reading the Gun Gack thread. Does one assume the title when he buys 1, 2, or more rifles that he doesn't "need"? Or can one be a Looney if he/she just desires those rifles he doesn't need (in the legal sense)? I consider myself to be Rifle Looney, even though some might not. I have several rifles that I have absolutely no true need for, but couldn't live without. But, before I was 10 yrs. old, I would read Outdoor Life and the stories of Jack O'Connor and others. I bought Shooting Times and Guns and Ammo (some of you remember, the mags that once wrote about guns without black stocks) with the money I made mowing yards and odd jobs. I always wanted a 270 Win because of what he wrote about it. Later, even though I killed a number of deer with the 270 and still have 2 around the house, I was not as enamored by it as he was. One rifle that intrigued me, even though every gun writer could not write about it without mentioning it was a real barrel burner, and that is the 264 Win Mag. And here I am almost 50 yrs. later, and I have a Hawkeye in that magical caliber. Haven't hunted with it yet, might never. And this week bought a Ruger #1 in a 22/250 which I have thought and thought about and cannot come up with any logical reason to own a 22/250, but here it sits.

Am I a Looney, and if so, when did I become one? When I had the desire and read everything I could get hold of about centerfire rifles? Or when I was able to see some of my dreams come to fruition? And I would be interested in knowing if anyone else dreamed about a certain firearm or caliber when they were kids and then later in life able to realize the object of those dreams?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
First, one must learn to spell "Loony".😱

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
JB,

If you don't mind, I'm going to take this one...

You are a certified Loony when you purchase dies or components for a chambering you don't yet own.

Another indicator is accepting free ammunition for chambering's you don't own, and then using that free ammunition (regardless of quantity) as a "reason" to purchase another rifle.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Or, if you think about selling a rifle to get enough money to buy a better scope for that same rifle.....

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thank You.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
JB,

You are a certified Loony when you purchase dies or components for a chambering you don't yet own.

Another indicator is accepting free ammunition for chambering's you don't own, and then using that free ammunition (regardless of quantity) as a "reason" to purchase another rifle.

Travis

I am certifiable then. cool

Last edited by CRS; 11/18/17.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ruger77Shooter,

The others have already suggested several telling symptoms of being a rifle loony, but those occur only after the condition has progressed to far its normally incurable. Reading magazine articles about guns when very young might be considered a "pre-loony indicator." I had definite symptoms by age 8, the year I first recall firing an actual rifle, though by then I was well acquainted with the smoothbores then known as "BB guns."

I must also comment that according to versions of Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, and its British counterpart, the Oxford English Dictionary (generally considered the ultimate authority), "looney" is also an accepted but secondary spelling. The O.E.D. also lists "luny," which makes sense as loony is based on the word lunacy, being crazed by the moon.

However, neither lists "loonie," also sometimes used by Campfire members, but English isn't one of those languages controlled by officials to make sure it remains pure. Instead it's a still-changing and very flexible language, the reason English dictionaries are based on "common usage" rather than, say, the official decrees of a language board of stern geezers. Personally, I prefer "loony" simply because my own training in English emphasized simplicity in use. Not including an "e" is simpler--and quicker to type. .

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John: you could just give a reference to an older article you did ( with my, and bourbon's help for ideas...) on " You Might be a Rifle Loony if...." laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I definitely fit the bill. Dies for chamberings I don't yet have? Check. Scopes for as yet unknown rifles? Check. Three rifles in the safe that I "had to have" but have not had a round put through them? Check. To the OP, it seems as the you're on the right track to loonyism. Now, go pick up some .225 Winchester dies, because in 5-6 yrs., you might find or build one.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
JB,

Travis

BTDT on both accounts.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Unless, of course, one is referring to the inimitable Joe Don of football "fame".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ruger77Shooter,

The others have already suggested several telling symptoms of being a rifle loony, but those occur only after the condition has progressed to far its normally incurable. Reading magazine articles about guns when very young might be considered a "pre-loony indicator." I had definite symptoms by age 8, the year I first recall firing an actual rifle, though by then I was well acquainted with the smoothbores then known as "BB guns."

I must also comment that according to versions of Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, and its British counterpart, the Oxford English Dictionary (generally considered the ultimate authority), "looney" is also an accepted but secondary spelling. The O.E.D. also lists "luny," which makes sense as loony is based on the word lunacy, being crazed by the moon.

However, neither lists "loonie," also sometimes used by Campfire members, but English isn't one of those languages controlled by officials to make sure it remains pure. Instead it's a still-changing and very flexible language, the reason English dictionaries are based on "common usage" rather than, say, the official decrees of a language board of stern geezers. Personally, I prefer "loony" simply because my own training in English emphasized simplicity in use. Not including an "e" is simpler--and quicker to type. .

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ruger77Shooter,

Luny...I like that
grin

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you ever answer the question, "How many rifles do you own?" with "A few short!" or something similar...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JB,

Travis

Absolutely no topping that one.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well...1st of all, to those I offended by the misspelling of Loony, I apologize. Even though I feel a little vindicated since it is a 2nd spelling, so I'm on the fence on that one.

When I was on this site a few years ago, I bought a good many 284 Win brass and loaded rounds anticipating the day I would have a rifle chambered for it. That ended up in a bitter/sweet relationship as I have one now. Unfortunately, I bought a Win model 100 in the 284 and so far have not been able to get it to eject the spent brass. But, I have another guy looking at it and hope he can get it worked out. If not, I'll have to look for another one.

At this time, I have the dies and brass for a 250 Savage which I have yet to purchase/build. Not being a man of wealth, I picked up a Marlin XS7 this past week with the intentions of changing the 243 to my long awaited 250 Sav.

And, i am not sure how many rifles I have nor how many different chamberings at this time. Not that I have that many, but it is on up in the double digits. Hopefully then, if I haven't reached Loony status yet, maybe it isn't too far down the road.

Thanks, Eddie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At that point where, if you have a rifle in .257 Roberts and three in .243, you can in all seriousness discuss why you need a .250 Savage. As in music, this can be transposed to many situations not just limited to chamberings.

If you have a .300 Win. Mag and a .30-06, discuss why you need a .300 WSM
If you have an 18" barreled lever action .30-30 and a 22" barreled .308 Winchester bolt action, discuss why you need a short 20" barreled 760 in .300 Savage as a "truck gun". Extra points if you do not own a truck.
If you have a 7mm-08 load that stacks 140 grain high BC bullets on top of each other, and a .260 load for a rifle you bought in 2003 that stacks 123 grain high BC bullets on top of each other, discuss why you cannot find rest at night until acquiring a 6.5 Creedmoor to work up a load for 129 grain bullets.

Extrapolate from here....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB,

Travis

Done all of that. Or buy a gun for a scope that is going on sale.

GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a Marlin 336 in a configuration no longer made.

Just a few days later you see on gunbroker the same configuration Marlin 336 in almost the same condition and made within 4 years of the DOM of the one you bought but it's offered for 50 bucks less than what you paid, and it takes a supreme act of will not to buy the second one.

Hello, my name is Jim and I am a rifle loony. I have been clean and sober for 9 days now....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Jim...I haven't made it that long yet. I brought home 3 new to me this week. And I don't just have a Roberts, I have a 25/06 as well, so the only "need" I have for the Savage, is that I "want" one. And I try to keep 4 or 5 extra scopes around here at all times, just in case. I put one on the new to me #1 last night. I'm trying to decide right now if I want to put one of the other extras I have on hand for the 77ST. Either way, I'm now shopping for another good deal on a scope...maybe 2. Because I believe in being ready-just in case.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I keep buying .223 WSSM brass and have no .223 WSSM. Some day!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.