-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Colt "Super Lite" .38 Super. Considering the serial number, I probably should have left it NIB, but what fun would that be? Don't carry it everyday, but often. Ammo is typically Silvertip 125s, various holsters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gibby
I don't doubt it. Women do not come to the party thinking that they know it all. I have seen it many times.

My wife was one. Long tome ago, got her a PPKS. After a little while she was shooting good. Even with that 18lb DA trigger pull.

She went to a Sig P230 twenty years ago. She still shoots good.

I had a P230 back in the 1980s and 1990s. Wish I never sold it. Really neat little gun. Like a modernized PPK.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Colt "Super Lite" .38 Super. Considering the serial number, I probably should have left it NIB, but what fun would that be? Don't carry it everyday, but often. Ammo is typically Silvertip 125s, various holsters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice. I'd put some nice checkered wood grips on it.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Colt needs to bring that one back. Start making calls and sending Emails boy's. They seem to be open to new markets lately.

Cocobolo grips panels would look good on that gun. Lighter too.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't doubt it. Women do not come to the party thinking that they know it all. I have seen it many times.

My wife was one. Long tome ago, got her a PPKS. After a little while she was shooting good. Even with that 18lb DA trigger pull.

She went to a Sig P230 twenty years ago. She still shoots good.

I had a P230 back in the 1980s and 1990s. Wish I never sold it. Really neat little gun. Like a modernized PPK.

It likes the new hot Federal HST's too. Ammunition for the .380 has come a long way in the last few years. She calls it her "little pepper sprayer".

IC B2

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
No body mentioned using a recoil buffer. I do use them with the aluminum frame guns. I make sure to use a new one after a long practice session after cleaning and ready for carry. I like the Wilson Combat brand. They are inexpensive.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Don’t use recoil buffers of any kind.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have the Wilsons but don't use them. Only pistols I use buffers in are my Star PDs, part of the recoil spring design and meant to be a consumable item. But like LTC Cooper said, those original CCOs were meant to be carried much and shot little.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I carry a Sig C3 in 45 ACP for the last 8 years. My holster is a cheap clip on Mexican carry IWB. It is more comfortable than any of my expensive holsters.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Colt needs to bring that one back. Start making calls and sending Emails boy's. They seem to be open to new markets lately.

This is close....

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=COO4540XSE

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Don't buy an aluminum frame 1911 without ramp-ed barrel.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rkamp

What's a ramped barrel have anything to do with frame battering?
Do you know how a 1911 works?

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

John, there are many that have your school of thought about buffers.

I like to practice with the same gun and ammo as I carry. I practice a lot with full power loads.

Maybe the best way to do it is to practice with the buffers installed , but never use them in a carry situation. I am leaning towards this regimen.

I am saying, one step beyond using new buffers only during carry. ( a failed buffer can cost you your life) Is this your position?

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
I have the Wilsons but don't use them. Only pistols I use buffers in are my Star PDs, part of the recoil spring design and meant to be a consumable item. But like LTC Cooper said, those original CCOs were meant to be carried much and shot little.

I think Cooper was talking about a true CCO. O as in officer (short magazine grip frame). He did not like 4" and shorter barrel guns either. But I see what your saying.

Modern forged aluminum frames by top manufactures are stronger than they were 40 years ago. Different modern alloys. Still not as strong as forged steel of course.

I shoot my lightweights along side of my standard commanders sometimes. There is a difference in point of aim using the same ammo. Those few extra ounces do make a difference. That's trying to keep all else the same.

I do like the Lightweights more and more as time goes by. I carry a lot more nowadays because of the way things are today. Three different ways, IWB, hip(strong and cross) and using a shoulder holster.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rkamp

What's a ramped barrel have anything to do with frame battering?
Do you know how a 1911 works?

In an aluminum framed 1911 I would worry more about frame gouging at the feed ramp than frame battering.

I would not hesitate to use a shock buffer in a commander length slide. I use a Cominolli dual shock buffer guide
rod in my Delta 10mm pictured below.

I have a Springfield Compact 1911 in 9mm for carry. The ramped barrel was a must.

Attached Images
1911's.jpg (67.32 KB, 30 downloads)

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nice Super! I owned s/n Super 389 for a while.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have shot thousands of rounds through aluminum frame guns. Never a gouge track. It is not a problem. Bullets slide right up. Even with high slide velocity and extra power magazine springs. Nonexistent concern.

Note: You need to get you another Super. Don't sell it this time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have shot thousands of rounds through aluminum frame guns. Never a gouge track. It is not a problem. Bullets slide right up. Even with high slide velocity and extra power magazine springs. Nonexistent concern.

Note: You need to get you another Super. Don't sell it this time.

Glad to hear you have had no gouging issues. I have known a couple of 45ACP owners not as fortunate.

Yes, I regret selling that LW Commander. If I had kept, probably would have replaced the skimp pencil barrell
with a Barsto ramped barrel fitted for that extra piece of mind.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
R
RJM Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not sure what Colt is using for an alloy in their frames now but the original frames were Coltalloy which was a aluminum-titanium mix and the frames were milled from forgings not cast.

One of my girlfriends had two Kimber ProCarry .45s, pre-firingpin safety guns. The feedramps of those guns both started gouging after only a few boxes of hollowpoint ammo. She had both frames feedramps polished and then hard chromed and that ended the problem. Also it was common practice to polish the feedramps on guns to better feed hollowpoints. Doing so to a Commander removed the hardened anodized surface exposing the softer bare aluminum...this would then get beat up with HP ammo.

Buffers...only use them for 9x23 Winchester and 10mm and usually with a full length guide rod on full size 1911s. Tried buffers on Commanders and found that especially with .45s the slide would lock back mid-magazine quite often. If one pulls back the slide of a 1911 regardless of size, the slide stop rides past the hold open notch in the frame. Put a buffer in a GM and it will still clear the notch. Put a buffer in a Commander and the slide stops right where the slide stop and notch line up. When the gun recoils and muzzle rotates up the slidestop can rotate right into the notch just as the slide stops in full recoil. I took the buffer out of the .45 Commander and never had any more problems. There was a company who made a very thin buffer just for Commanders but I have not seen them around for a while and never used one.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would not know about Kimbers. Don't have any.

No problem with the slide stop notch. Just checked.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.