Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by joken2

Kim Darby was a very popular audience favorite at that time therefore a money making commodity.

She was in a Star Trek episode.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Kim Darby was a very popular audience favorite at that time therefore a money making commodity.

She probably sucked in that too.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have to agree with joken2 there. I liked them both. I think Damon makes a better spook than he does a cowboy. In fact that's just about his only claim to fame. Nobody holds a pistol quite as well as the Duke nor sit's a horse either. I do think that Jeff Bridges is a very versatile actor and a credit to the profession.

In the end it's all about money and crowd appeal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I watch and love them both and agree with those that take them as two separate movies.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
This scene from the original film was The Duke's second best "Showdown Scene" to me. In my opinion, the final showdown with Bruce Dern in "The Cowboys" was better. That being said, both scenes are likely my favorite Western " Showdown Scene's" of all time. Actors with John Wayne's style and brass are long gone from films and modern writers spend more time focusing on shock value of profanity and sex scenes than making good quality films with solid story lines.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Films roles before True Grit:

Bye Bye Birdie (1963) as a Teenager
Bus Riley's Back in Town (1965)
The Restless Ones (1965)
The Karate Killers (1967)
Flesh and Blood (1968)

TV roles:

Mr. Novak (1963, 1965)
Dr. Kildare - (1964) Episode "A Nickel's Worth of Prayer" - as Patsy
"Hang Down Your Head and Laugh" (1966), episode of the television series Run for Your Life
"Joshua's Kingdom" (1966), episode of the television series The Fugitive
"Miri" (1966), episode of the television series Star Trek
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. episode "The Five Daughters Affair" (1967)
Gunsmoke (1967), 3 episodes
Ironside (1967), television pilot film for the NBC series of the same name
Bonanza, "The Sure Thing", 1967
"Vengeance" (1967), Season 13 Episode 4 of the television series Gunsmoke as Angel, Part I & II with James Stacy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Darby

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hate to admit this, but I had a crush on Kim Darby when I was 11.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never seen the entire remake version, but ain't much wrong with the original. Watched 'er from start to finish last week, for the first time in many years.

If not mistaken, this story (novel) was serialized in the Saturday Evening Post, way back when. Kinda recall reading it when I was around 18 or so.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The new one was way better. Knowing the area so well, I could never get over that they moved the Rocky Mountains to Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma in the first one. The new one was shot in Texas and New Mexico and looked much better. It really looked like the part of Oklahoma they were supposed to be in, especially in the winter. If you drive the Indian Nations Turnpike sometime around Mcalister and you’ll see what I mean.

The second movie also had the one of th best and most realistic courtroom scenes you’ll ever see. The examinations were realistic and the rules of evidence were actually followed. The first movie used the same dialogue but true to form missed the details. What details would those be you say? There was an empty jury box with empty chairs behind John Wayne as he was examined in a murder trial.

Last edited by JoeBob; 11/18/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
I hate to admit this, but I had a crush on Kim Darby when I was 11.

Sham, that explains a lot. shocked wink grin

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll take the John Wayne version every day, and twice on Sundays.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am mystified by the mountain man scene and the guy hanging in the tree also. I read the book after seeing the first one so it has been a long time ago but I do not recall that in the book.

I like them both but at least in my memory the Bridges version did a better job of following the book.

My favorite scene was in #2 though - when Bridges was going into the trading post and the couple of kids were outside teasing the donkey. On the way in Bridges kicked him off the porch and on the way back out he kicked him off the porch again, not sure that was in the book either but it set the tone for the type of person Cogburn was.

drover

Last edited by drover; 11/18/17.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Loved everything about True Grit #1. The scene when Little Blackie collapses is the most poignant ever filmed.

Trying to remember any performance in which I enjoyed Jeff Bridges. Totally failing!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
"I am mystified by the mountain man scene and the guy hanging in the tree also. I read the book after seeing the first one so it has been a long time ago but I do not recall that in the book. ..."

Those scenes were not in the book and I could never figure out why they were written and filmed. Did nothing to drive the plot.

The scene mentioned below was not in the book, either.

"My favorite scene was in #2 though - when Bridges was going into the trading post and the couple of kids were outside teasing the donkey. On the way in Bridges kicked him off the porch and on the way back out he kicked him off the porch again, not sure that was in the book either but it set the tone for the type of person Cogburn was."

drover

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Loved everything about True Grit #1. The scene when Little Blackie collapses is the most poignant ever filmed.

Trying to remember any performance in which I enjoyed Jeff Bridges. Totally failing!

Mr. Bridges isn’t my favorite actor, but he did alright.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Went up to Owl Creek Pass last year at Deb's field where they filmed that scene. Felt good taking pictures of there of the giant boulder and Chimney Tower.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I like both and have read the book. The Coen brothers version was more true to the book especially in location and age of Mattie.

But the question you have to ask is who had true grit? Fans of John Wayne will always say it was Wayne's Rooster and the movie portrayed it this way because of Wayne's fan following. I even believed it until I saw the new version and read the book.

It was obvious to me that Mattie was the only character with true grit. She was looking for someone with true grit because that was her quality and her standard. The final scene in the newer one with the old Mattie adds a final portrait of Mattie missing from the Wayne version. "I wasn't awake when they took my arm". The girl was tough all through her life.

I'll still watch both whenever they are on but the second gets by vote as a better telling off the story..

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The John Wayne, 1969 move. Just watching it on you tube. Classic.

Saw both. The new one is better.

No way!

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up on the old one.
I've watched it a hundred times.
I liove the mountain scenery in the original it is the hunting country of the west, I'm alive in that setting and love every minute of the original' s capture of it.

The remake is ugly, dark and dreary as far as scenery.

John Wayne characters are always John Wayne.

That said, I still like the original better.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"I aim to kill you in one minute Ned....or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience! Which'll it be??"

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,259
Posts18,486,376
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.