Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
How about no batting helmets. I had a good friend that was injured because we had no helmets. The next game we were required to wear those batting helmets. One game too late. My first football helmet was leather with no chin strap and no face guard. Pea shooters in the movie theatre which we called the picture show. Knife display at the hardware store, your choice for a dollar. No locks on doors. Everybody's door was always un locked. I couldn't believe how big the first kingsize coke I ever saw was.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I remember going to the store to get tubes for the radio. I would take the old tube with me to match it up.

I also remember walking to the gas station to get a gallon of gas for the mower, I'd get the gas plus a candy bar, only took a quarter with me. Don't remember if I got change or not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by molly
I remember going to the store to get tubes for the radio. I would take the old tube with me to match it up.

I also remember walking to the gas station to get a gallon of gas for the mower, I'd get the gas plus a candy bar, only took a quarter with me. Don't remember if I got change or not.

Yes, definitely, I remember taking several tubes out of an old TV to the store. There was a large metal cabinet full of tubes,
and the top of the cabinet had all sorts of sockets to plug your suspect tubes into, to test them.
When you figured out which one(s) were bad, you opened the cabinet door and matched the number to find the new tube you needed.

Taking the gallon can to the gas station for mower gas, 20 cents would get the can nearly full with a nickel left over for the Hershey Bar.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wabigoon mentioned desks with ink-wells - ours were mounted on wood runners.
Cartridge type fountain pens.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You only needed to pull the one on the flywheel side......

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Manual choke and throttle pull knobs on the dash. Headlight "brights" switch on the floor. Starter button on the floor. Chevy's "steal me" ignition locks that didn't require a key. Glass oil bottles with screw-on metal spouts at every gas pump. Rayon-belted bias tires. A hole in the front bumper where you inserted the manual start crank. Nash Ramblers (?) with the "rolling bedroom" full recline seats.

That's just some of the car stuff!

I had a 65 Rambler Ambassador station wagon with those seats, flat surface from dash to tailgate. It also had an A/C unit labeled "cool, cold and desert only"

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Small memory correction for posts above:

The show was "Andy's Gang" starring Andy Devine, and the line was "Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy" to introduce the cartoon. The show was sponsored by Buster Brown and Red Goose shoes.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

laugh

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jnyork
Two holers.

...with a 30-30 leaning up in the corner in case a bear decided to interrupt your morning constitutional.. laugh

two of the biggest deer i have seen taken were pretty much this way.
friend of mine was just finishing a dump, decided to smoke a cigarette. rattling the paper caused the buck to jump up, and he shot it sitting down on a rock with his pants down.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The pop machines that held the bottles so they slid to the coin opened hinge were tarped, and chained at scout camp. Morning brought empty bottles sucked dry with a straw. A scout is resourceful.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I worked at a Liberty filling station and gas was ten cents per gallon, full service, including washing the windshield.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rem141r
vacuum windshield wipers. the faster you went the faster the wipers went. our old willys had them

Yeah, also a master cylinder for the brakes as well as the clutch, lets not forget the fun of changing u-joints on an enclosed driveshaft either.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Banks had hard floors, bars on the teller windows, and the pens were chained down.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rinkydink
I worked at a Liberty filling station and gas was ten cents per gallon, full service, including washing the windshield.

I worked for a buck an hour pumping gas, doing windshields and trying to not get decapitated changing Mr. Weaver's split rim flats on his hay trucks and trailers. shocked

Trump Won!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
", and the pens were chained down."

There was an old BBQ joint in downtown Bastrop that had the knives chained to your spot at the dining table! LOL!

And it wasnt to keep you from stealin' em!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Manual choke and throttle pull knobs on the dash. Headlight "brights" switch on the floor. Starter button on the floor. Chevy's "steal me" ignition locks that didn't require a key. Glass oil bottles with screw-on metal spouts at every gas pump. Rayon-belted bias tires. A hole in the front bumper where you inserted the manual start crank. Nash Ramblers (?) with the "rolling bedroom" full recline seats.

That's just some of the car stuff!

funny story about that...my dad was a mechanic for years. He worked in a Dodge garage for a while. One time a lady brought in her car and said it wasn't running right. Dad worked it over, checked the carb , etc. and couldn't find a thing wrong. A couple days later, she was back, same problem. Dad worked on it again and couldn't find anything. 3d time and the boss was getting unhappy. This time Dad had her drive while he tested it. The 1st thing she did was pull out the choke knob and hang her purse on it. Dad asked her what she was doing and she said that knob didn't do anything and was a good place for her purse.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I push started more junk with 6V and a generator damn near further than I drove them! mad

When 12V and a one wire alternator came along I thought I died and went to Heaven.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rem141r
vacuum windshield wipers. the faster you went the faster the wipers went. our old willys had them

I had an old International Scout that had those things. You could turn them down real slow and it was almost like having modern intermittent wipers. Once I foolishly tried to pass someone in the rain and went blind when I accelerated in the left lane. Yikes!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still got my card !!

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steel soda cans that required a church key. Shasta soda was .03¢ per can, and coke was .05¢. Soda bottle deposits. Mom going down to the local hamburger shop and filling the old brown glass gallon jug with Hires root beer for .25¢ on a Saturday night. Saturday afternoon movies for .35¢. 2 movies, tons of cartoons. The 1950 for my mother drove with "Three on the tree". My Dad bought it used. I think that he paid $50 for the car around 1968. The milk man delivering milk in glass bottles, being left in the little steel and cork cooler on the front porch. The butcher at the grocery store alway's had scraps cooking in an electric skillet in the back room. When I was about 8 years old, I asked him one time what was for lunch because it sure smelled good. He told me something like a bologna sandwich. I asked him why I could smell meat cooking, and he told me that on the days he had something in the skillet that his sales would increase by 25%.

And the list goes on.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.