-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cartoon's before any movie,.....paper oil cans and the metal spout u shoved in them to get your oil canister oil filters/manuel chokes.....…party lines...... the big oil tanker truck spraying the gravel road to keep the dust down... Gas stations with chit to do/a park/swings things to climb on ...a gas station with the pump that filled the glass bowl then gravity drained to your tank< that went away fast in our little azztown

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Bolt action shotguns with full chokes, the wonderful smell of paper shot shells after you shot them, .22 long rifle shells for 50 cents a box of 50, taking your .22 rifle to junior high school to shoot it at the range under the football stands after school (most schools had a small bore range), actually shooting two pheasants and four rabbits (the limit) per day during hunting season in Ohio, no deer, turkeys, coyotes, or geese at all, shooting clubs getting free 30-06 ammo and free rifles from the US government to encourage civilian marksmanship, tuition at a good private university of $1750 per year, full size convertibles, tires that only lasted 20,000 miles, Chevy sedans with the back seat optional (otherwise you got a board to sit on), coal oil (kerosene) lanterns in case of power failure, stoking the furnace with coal at night and getting up early to relight it, two newspapers per day, and only hree TV channels--if you had a TV. Those were the days.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Timberlake
You only needed to pull the one on the flywheel side......

Not when you weigh ~ 85 lbs !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Whats a school lunch?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This thread brought back a lot of fun old memories , although I can't add anything substantial .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rinkydink
I worked at a Liberty filling station and gas was ten cents per gallon, full service, including washing the windshield.

How old are you? 10 cents a gallon is 1925-1935 price...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Manual choke and throttle pull knobs on the dash. Headlight "brights" switch on the floor. Starter button on the floor. Chevy's "steal me" ignition locks that didn't require a key. Glass oil bottles with screw-on metal spouts at every gas pump. Rayon-belted bias tires. A hole in the front bumper where you inserted the manual start crank. Nash Ramblers (?) with the "rolling bedroom" full recline seats.

That's just some of the car stuff!

funny story about that...my dad was a mechanic for years. He worked in a Dodge garage for a while. One time a lady brought in her car and said it wasn't running right. Dad worked it over, checked the carb , etc. and couldn't find a thing wrong. A couple days later, she was back, same problem. Dad worked on it again and couldn't find anything. 3d time and the boss was getting unhappy. This time Dad had her drive while he tested it. The 1st thing she did was pull out the choke knob and hang her purse on it. Dad asked her what she was doing and she said that knob didn't do anything and was a good place for her purse.

I saw that same thing, sort of, in driver education thing in HS. IIRCC, the car was a 48 Ford.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I remember if you had 10 dollars on Monday you were good till payday on Friday.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Every once in a while, the school lunch cooks would make donuts. When you hit the top of the stairs leading down to the lunch room, and caught a whiff of that, you knew you were in for a treat.

Be not weary in well doing.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I worked at a Liberty filling station and gas was ten cents per gallon, full service, including washing the windshield.

They had "gas wars" and 10 cents was as low as I ever saw kit. "Normal" price was 19 and 9 tenths.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Inner tubes for tires made out of real rubber. Used to cut them up to make slingshots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Manual choke and throttle pull knobs on the dash. Headlight "brights" switch on the floor. Starter button on the floor. Chevy's "steal me" ignition locks that didn't require a key. Glass oil bottles with screw-on metal spouts at every gas pump. Rayon-belted bias tires. A hole in the front bumper where you inserted the manual start crank. Nash Ramblers (?) with the "rolling bedroom" full recline seats.

That's just some of the car stuff!

funny story about that...my dad was a mechanic for years. He worked in a Dodge garage for a while. One time a lady brought in her car and said it wasn't running right. Dad worked it over, checked the carb , etc. and couldn't find a thing wrong. A couple days later, she was back, same problem. Dad worked on it again and couldn't find anything. 3d time and the boss was getting unhappy. This time Dad had her drive while he tested it. The 1st thing she did was pull out the choke knob and hang her purse on it. Dad asked her what she was doing and she said that knob didn't do anything and was a good place for her purse.

That story had whiskers when I was kid!

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We use to take our shotguns to school, hunt ducks with lead shot..

Start our vehicles by pressing on the floor button to the right of the gas feed..

Heater controls, move a leaver on the heater that was under the dash on the floorboards- this changed from floor heat to defrost.

Purchase gasoline for 35-40 cents a gallon..

We paid 5 cents for a nickle candy bar.. Now days that nickle candy bar cost a-lot more..

People had manners, respect for others. You could hear,-- "Yes sir, No thank you or Yes, thank you very much.. So on and so on.......

Things have changed, some of them are not for the better.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nobody went out in public looking like people do today. There used to be pride and even some class...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shot gun in my school locker so I could go hunting with my buddies after school...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other things I remember - being turned loose in the cellar at a young age with a big a$$ hatchet to keep kindling wood split for the combined wood stove/electric stove in the kitchen; having to remove the ashes from the coal furnace (the highlight of my young life was when Dad installed an oil furnace); my first used car had mechanical brakes (sturdy shoes were a good accessory for dragging on the ground); when I was in high school a donut shop on the way home sold sugar donuts twice as large as anything you can buy now, for 5 cents each, on a good day you might be able to afford two.

I have a clear memory of many of the other items mentioned here. Scary!!

Jim

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Red inner tubes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Red inner tubes.

I think that they came with black patches already on them when they were new.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Nobody went out in public looking like people do today. There used to be pride and even some class...

I have patches on most of my shirts, and some of my pants.

Generally my coats have patches sewn on as well.

Usually, I look like a hobo.......but at least I dont wear pajamas in public....or open toe shoes.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
When I was a kid, I had to walk on an ice field through 5' of driving snow to get to the Wooly Mammoth herd,... uphill there and back,... lasso one, then milk it in order to have milk to put on my corn flakes,..which I made by pounding kernels of corn on a flat rock with a stone ax, then baking them over an open fire fueled by various dried animal dung plops. Tony the fuggin' Tiger was still saber toothed back then.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,983 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.