-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our own Formidilosus had some things to say about reliable scopes in an older thread. I kept it in my files.

His background was a big factor in listening his comments on what scopes hold up:

"I work at a place that fires a lot of ammo. I see over half a million rounds a year on average get fired. 90% of those rounds are tracked. Weapon zeros are checked nearly daily, scopes, mounts, rifles, ammo, etc, are being tested constantly. If a rifle has even a .5 MOA shift in zero we will see it almost immediately. My thoughts are this- scopes are an aiming device. They are a container to hold my reticle so that I can hit targets. I do not care about scratches, dings, or ring marks. I do care that the bullets go where the crosshairs are pointed. My first requirement is that the rifle stays zeroed through use."

Failures or issues with these scopes are extremely rare-

1). Nightforce NXS/ATACR/BEAST

2). Bushnell LRHS, HDMR/DMR, ERS, XRS

3). SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 1-6x, 3-9x, 5-20x

4). S&B fixed 10x PM

5). Hensoldts

6). Older Leupold fixed power Mark 4's/Ultra's

I want to thank Formidilosus for the above information.

Ross

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I have more Leupees than any other scoops, only because I have acquired a lot of used rifles. Probably about 25-30 Leupees. I never could get to jazzed about them and have sent a number back for various issues....some times Leupee was able to fix the problem....sometimes not.

I like German scopes .

Bought a new Leupy , from LGS that had the turrets reversed. I spotted this and pointed it out to GS and bought it cheap. Leupee WAS able to fix it. But how the hell did it get past QC.

I like Italian Motorcycles, clothes , wimmen, firearms. But, I most like German optics.

Big S H I T, the poet , I believe was trying to say something, Laffin, Peening on his shoes and pursuing his hobby of public masturbation.

Perhaps, this was part of it.

But when Leupee became mass merchandisers QC went away.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't necessarily go out and buy Leupolds over the last few years....

but I am definitely not getting rid of any of the ones I have either...

Leupolds for me, are like a Toyota or Honda...

They always work when I need them to...

and if one does go south....I sure get it fixed or replaced real quick
when I send it up to Beaverton...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Form, How have Burris's offerings stood up to high round count/hard use?

Their XTR/XTR II's have been about like the Steiner's that share the same building.... Other options are better.

The FF II's, while I don't see too many of them anymore, did generally hold zero.

AZshooter,

Hope it helps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burris has never made anything worth a fhuqk,as optical devices go. Some of their rings however are stellar...meaning only 'Horn's. Only fhuqking Burris would offer a Posi-Lock scope,wearing turrets,the STUPID Fhuqks. Though in fairness,Posi-Lock sucked by itself,if only because zero shifted,if when it was incorporated. Hint.

Very MUCH enjoyed the notion,that tapping on Optics,made them "better". LAUGHING!

Sadly or hilariously(same thing),600 Safe Queen pokes ain't much of a "test" on a rifle choked Improved Cylinder,destined to be pointed at something the size of a VW,as "testament" to it's "mechanics". Hint.

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that there always remains a facxtion of Window Licker fascinated with their Homoerotic Fantasies,that they are powerless in the refrain of not typing out those desires. Congratulations?!?

Conquests are fhuqking junk,in that they do not track or hold zero...just like Minox. Hint.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Hint.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
90% of my optics are Swarovski. Rather have any problems at all with good glass instead of poor glass.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Anyone else do what I do now, when I'm sighting any scope, especially the later Loopies? I made a small wood mallet that I rap the scope with a few times after every adjustment. I was getting strange tracking from the Loopies...first shot after adj--no or not much movement...second shoot at or near where it should have moved to after the adjustment. The tapping-in seems to help a lot.

oh...and smokepole.. LOOPY LOOPY LOOPY! smirk

Dang man. If you can whack the turrets with a wooden mallet between adjustments / shots then leupold is sill building a far tougher scope than I’ve been giving them credit for. That’s the one thing the swfa FF crowd haven’t done yet to test one. Hitting Itje turret with a mallet between adjustments is a pretty damn hardcore optics test.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Anyone else do what I do now, when I'm sighting any scope, especially the later Loopies? I made a small wood mallet that I rap the scope with a few times after every adjustment. I was getting strange tracking from the Loopies...first shot after adj--no or not much movement...second shoot at or near where it should have moved to after the adjustment. The tapping-in seems to help a lot.

Dang man. If you can whack the turrets with a wooden mallet between adjustments / shots then leupold is sill building a far tougher scope than I’ve been giving them credit for. That’s the one thing the swfa FF crowd haven’t done yet to test one. Hitting Itje turret with a mallet between adjustments is a pretty damn hardcore optics test.

It's just a 6 pound mallet. I used an 8-pounder, but it bent my Chinese rings. The 6-pounder seems just right. All it takes is a few whacks, unless it's used on a Swaro. One tap on those and I find out just how good their CS is.

I used to use a screwdriver handle, back in the day, but the turrets chipped too many handles. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Our own Formidilosus had some things to say about reliable scopes in an older thread. I kept it in my files.

Failures or issues with these scopes are extremely rare-

1). Nightforce NXS/ATACR/BEAST

2). Bushnell LRHS, HDMR/DMR, ERS, XRS

3). SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 1-6x, 3-9x, 5-20x

4). S&B fixed 10x PM

5). Hensoldts

6). Older Leupold fixed power Mark 4's/Ultra's

I want to thank Formidilosus for the above information.

Ross

Not seeing the SWFA 3-15x on this list.
That is the power range I would be interested in.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 175rltw

It's just a 6 pound mallet. I used an 8-pounder, but it bent my Chinese rings. The 6-pounder seems just right. All it takes is a few whacks, unless it's used on a Swaro. One tap on those and I find out just how good their CS is.

I used to use a screwdriver handle, back in the day, but the turrets chipped too many handles. eek

The fix is to drop it from shoulder height every time an adjustment is made. There might be an instructional vid out there somewhere....grin...

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Not seeing the SWFA 3-15x on this list.
That is the power range I would be interested in.

I do not like to make solid statements until I have seen 10-12 different scopes of a certain model with 10k plus rounds through each. I just haven't seen enough of the 3-15x with lots of rounds to state that they are of the same quality as the ones listed.

Having said that, the 3-15x FFP's that I have seen and used all worked correctly.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My [bleep] Vx 6 is on its fourth kill in four days from 930 to 310 yard head shots.

How’s the love life sugar tits. Lol must such with only having a strong grip for love.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/20/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had 2 VX6's....

Both were no good out of the box...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
I had 2 VX6's....

Both were no good out of the box...

What does "no good" mean? That's pretty general... confused

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Every time I read "Loopy" or "Winny" or "Remmy" I wonder if we have Bronies on here.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You know it brotatoe chip

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I will give you $100 apiece for them no good #^&! Leupolds.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh yeah I'm losing lots of sleep over the loopy comment...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Oh yeah I'm losing lots of sleep over the loopy comment...

Sure. You are too busy out killing bull moose with 'em to worry much, methinks. grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

7 STW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guilty as charged

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,503
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.