Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a Kimber Montana in 308. I have a Silencerco Omega silencer that weighs ~14oz. The Kimber barrel is not threaded (yet). With the newer Montanas, the barrels are threaded at 7/16x28 and Kimber makes an adapter to 5/8x24 which would allow me to use my silencer (if I have the barrel threaded to 7/16x28. The barrel diameter is too small to thread it to 1/2x28).

Does anyone have experience with a suppressor on a Kimber Montana? Do I need to have the barrel cut down to 18” or 20” to be sufficiently stiff?

Thanks.

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used mine, expect some POI shift with the skinny barrel, It carries alot better on the Adirondack (18" tube) that it does the montana.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
POI shift is expected. Does it still group OK?

Originally Posted by Mjduct
I've used mine, expect some POI shift with the skinny barrel, It carries alot better on the Adirondack (18" tube) that it does the montana.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For all the kimbers and all the silencers out there, I’m very surprised that more people around here haven’t put the two together.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a kimber ascent in 308 and a yhm titanium suppressor. I have no desire to run it suppressed even with a light weight suppressor.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt

For me on my Adirondack and AAC cyclone with the Kimber thread adapter it grouped well, about the same as without with 130 gr. TTSX, have shot that round enough to notice any differences but it kills the living h3ll out of deer. About 2.5” low which my scope convienently has a delineation for in its reticle...

I plan on taking it piggy popping this year with the can, if I see deer with it, I’ll probably pull the can if I have time... I just prefer to give game animals my absolute best even if it is academic...

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I picked up an 8400 in 338WM that has enough meat on the barrel for 9/16-24 and then adapter up to 5/8-24.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

For me on my Adirondack and AAC cyclone with the Kimber thread adapter it grouped well, about the same as without with 130 gr. TTSX, have shot that round enough to notice any differences but it kills the living h3ll out of deer. About 2.5” low which my scope convienently has a delineation for in its reticle...

I plan on taking it piggy popping this year with the can, if I see deer with it, I’ll probably pull the can if I have time... I just prefer to give game animals my absolute best even if it is academic...

That’s an intriguing take. Do you want to drop the can for fear of a less-than-perfect shot or do you somehow feel the muffler is unsporting?

Hi

I have a 8400 in 300 WSM. Had the barrel shortened to 23" and threaded to UNEF 1/2"-28 before I even fired it. The barrel was just Ø 0,56", about 14,2mm, at the tip. The supressor I'm using is a Hausken JD184 Magnum. Works great.
If i remember correctly the barrel has to be cut VERY short/to short if you want the Ø to grow significantly.
Not sure if this helps you. Your 84 has maybe an even thinner barrel?

Dani

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That’s an intriguing take. Do you want to drop the can for fear of a less-than-perfect shot or do you somehow feel the muffler is unsporting?

Less than perfect shot... also when I was growing up they were illegal to hunt regulated game in TX, that’s changed, but My brain hasn’t fully caught up yet smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For all the kimbers and all the silencers out there, I’m very surprised that more people around here haven’t put the two together.

I'd say the cost and paperwork doesn't add up to a benefit for that many.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/22/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dani78
Hi

I have a 8400 in 300 WSM. Had the barrel shortened to 23" and threaded to UNEF 1/2"-28 before I even fired it. The barrel was just Ø 0,56", about 14,2mm, at the tip. The supressor I'm using is a Hausken JD184 Magnum. Works great.
If i remember correctly the barrel has to be cut VERY short/to short if you want the Ø to grow significantly.
Not sure if this helps you. Your 84 has maybe an even thinner barrel?

Dani

I managed to locate my micrometer and did some measuring and calculating. Here are the finer points:
- The barrel diameter is ~.568” at the tip. Pretty much every manufacturer says that in order to support a 1/2x28 thread, you need a minimum thickness of .6”, which explains why Kimber’s factory thread is 7/16x28.
- In order to reach .6” diameter, I would need to cut the barrel to ~ 16.5” so that’s a non-starter.
- By threading the barrel to 7/16x28, the tip of the barrel will have a wall thickness of about 1/16”. That’s REALLY thin.
- Kimber makes a thread adapter that increases the thread pitch from 7/16” to 5/8”. More than just providing a more universally accepted suppressor thread pattern, this adapter adds sprength and rigidity to the barrel tip by relying on the threaded shoulder to support the weight of the suppressor rather than the 1/16” thick barrel tip.

So, I know I can safely mount a suppressor on this Kimber, I was just curious if there are unforeseen problems I’m failing to recognize. I’m kind of waiting for someone to chime in and say, “Your accuracy will be ruined! Don’t do it!” or some such thing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had two Kimbers shortened to 17" and threaded 1/2x28 to run suppressors.

Worked fine. Shot as good or better than before.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I now re-barrel them in a thicker contour outside of the stock to run suppressors. Mod84M from Lilja although I get my barrels from another vendor.

Can't help you with factory barrels. I don't shoot them. Don't know, don't care.

The way kimber threaded the factory barrels is retarded. They should have increased the contour. Too little meat, plus torquing on a can will sometimes/usually stretch threads and do negative things to accuracy. That's why companies like Wilson Combat thread .223 barrels in heftier 5/8x24 instead of 1/2X28. Because it does make a difference. And that's on a .223 not a .338 or .308 even.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BachelorJack
I now re-barrel them in a thicker contour outside of the stock to run suppressors. Mod84M from Lilja although I get my barrels from another vendor.

Can't help you with factory barrels. I don't shoot them. Don't know, don't care.

The way kimber threaded the factory barrels is retarded. They should have increased the contour. Too little meat, plus torquing on a can will sometimes/usually stretch threads and do negative things to accuracy. That's why companies like Wilson Combat thread .223 barrels in heftier 5/8x24 instead of 1/2X28. Because it does make a difference. And that's on a .223 not a .338 or .308 even.

I believe Kimber needs to chase the silencer market. Instead of jacking up the price for stupid digital camo patterns, come out with a line of rifles with 20” barrels and a belled out muzzle to provide silencer support. I think Barret may do something like this on their Fieldcraft rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, this tears it!

Wasn't gonna use suppressor this weekend because was planning on still hunting thick woods. Now I'll get on a high seat and see if one trips by.

Why? Because they're legal, they're awesome and this thread needs dead animal pics!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
...this thread needs dead animal pics!

Couldn’t agree more :-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
do it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not my Kimber, but suppressors rock. Currently in line at Cracker Barrel but hoping to be in high seat in about two hours with can on Montucky.[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...eries/12416818/260-ctr-slayfest-jan-2016[/img]

First try on new image. Any help appreciated. Just sat down w kids & grandson!

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 11/23/17.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Not specifically related to just the Kimber 84 Montana but at least 50% of deer rifles in all makes and calibers in my neck of the woods (New Zealand) have suppressors fitted. Have never heard of a rifle shooting worse with a can fitted. Your hearing is precious so do the best to protect it. Also, a side benefit of a suppressor is reduced felt recoil. Make sure that the can is screwed on tightly so all the holes line up.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,687
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.