C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The leather holster for my 1911 has a thumb break strap that fits between the hammer and slide, while cocked and locked. That adds even an additional level of safety comfort. For those not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, it's something to think about.

If you are not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, you should not have a 1911 to begin with.

Another worthless comment.

I’d say he is spot on.

Oh, I don't know, maybe someone could have one not for carry but for range work or home defense where it is not being carried. These days there are a lot of pistols better suited for CC.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/12/18.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'd like the scoop on the disdain for XD's. I guess I don't get "it".
Perhaps you could be more specific; what disdain?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
FreeMe and cooper57m, you are both correct.

I stated that in this particular event, there would have been time to load. It is not what I would have done, but it could have been done, due to the wall acting as concealment (not cover). I said this was a bad example of why it had to be ready to fire at the instant. (It could not have been used instantly.) By the time you could get to a vantage point and able to find your target, there was plenty of time to insert a mag and rack a round. (Again, not my method).

If he had entered the church first, the responder would be a dead man.

Now, I'm done arguing with someone who can't understand timing. I can run a split second shot clock for a radio station and make it sound natural, (dead air is a career killer). You have to think ahead, and muscle memory plays a big role. But you can't do things in the wrong sequence, or it is completely wrong. Timing matters.

In this particular event, there was time to load, without effecting the outcome.

Instead of loading your gun, that should have been loaded to begin with one should use that time to access the situation.

Agreed, there are better uses of that time, but the church shooting was put forward as an example of why all guns should loaded and ready for instant use. But, as you will see in my FIRST post on this subject, in this particular case. It would have made little difference, due to how the attack unfurled.
"The fact that you think you know ahead of time when you need to load your pistol and when you don’t Is ridiculous. The people sitting in church in a good part of town though they were safe also, yet a shooter walked in and slaughtered many of them. When the shooting starts I want to shoot back immediately, not need to load.
I would agree with you in concept, but that particular example
does not work. The first shots came blind through the side of the church. By the time he came inside, it wouldn't have made any diffrence if the bullets were loose in your pockets. Those folks were sitting ducks."

There are many better examples of the need to be ready, not almost ready. However, the church shooting was not a good example. It would have made little diffrence to the outcome ,loaded, or unloaded.

Last edited by kellory; 01/12/18.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
FreeMe and cooper57m, you are both correct.

I stated that in this particular event, there would have been time to load. It is not what I would have done, but it could have been done, due to the wall acting as concealment (not cover). I said this was a bad example of why it had to be ready to fire at the instant. (It could not have been used instantly.) By the time you could get to a vantage point and able to find your target, there was plenty of time to insert a mag and rack a round. (Again, not my method).

If he had entered the church first, the responder would be a dead man.

Now, I'm done arguing with someone who can't understand timing. I can run a split second shot clock for a radio station and make it sound natural, (dead air is a career killer). You have to think ahead, and muscle memory plays a big role. But you can't do things in the wrong sequence, or it is completely wrong. Timing matters.

In this particular event, there was time to load, without effecting the outcome.

Instead of loading your gun, that should have been loaded to begin with one should use that time to access the situation.

Agreed, there are better uses of that time, but the church shooting was put forward as an example of why all guns should loaded and ready for instant use. But, as you will see in my FIRST post on this subject, in this particular case. It would have made little difference, due to how the attack unfurled.
"The fact that you think you know ahead of time when you need to load your pistol and when you don’t Is ridiculous. The people sitting in church in a good part of town though they were safe also, yet a shooter walked in and slaughtered many of them. When the shooting starts I want to shoot back immediately, not need to load.
I would agree with you in concept, but that particular example
does not work. The first shots came blind through the side of the church. By the time he came inside, it wouldn't have made any diffrence if the bullets were loose in your pockets. Those folks were sitting ducks."

There are many better examples of the need to be ready, not almost ready. However, the church shooting was not a good example. It would have made little diffrence to the outcome ,loaded, or unloaded.

No one knows anything ahead of time, that’s why prepaid for the worst and hope for the best.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

You'd be more believable if you'd just admit that you aren't confident and comfortable with condition 1 and leave it at that. The mental gymnastics that you take to rationalize C3 are just so much confirmation bias. What you are talking about makes about as much sense as carrying a DA revolver with the first-up chamber (as opposed to chamber under the hammer) empty to avoid an AD.

If I was more comfortable with Condition One than Condition Three, I'd use it more often.

Happy now?

I thought it was pretty obvious people carry with the mode they are most comfortable using.

Much of my adult life has been spent fixing failed electro-mechanical stuff. Some have been pretty bizarre failures, things that in theory should never happen. If you want to fully trust a mechanical safety, go for it. After all, no one has ever had an AD/ND using Condition One, right? I choose not to.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The leather holster for my 1911 has a thumb break strap that fits between the hammer and slide, while cocked and locked. That adds even an additional level of safety comfort. For those not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, it's something to think about.

If you are not comfortable carrying cocked and locked, you should not have a 1911 to begin with.

I’d say he is spot on.

Oh, I don't know, maybe someone could have one not for carry but for range work or home defense where it is not being carried. These days there are a lot of pistols better suited for CC.

I don't think so. Not a lot.

Just one example mentioned before:

1911 Lightweight Commander, loaded chamber, cocked and locked, no ambidextrous safety, no extended safety and an extra power firing pin spring, Titanium firing pin with the correct holsters designed for such. With a flush fitting metal bottom magazine.

... in .45 ACP , extra full magazine or two .

It takes time for some to understand.

Others, it is drilled into them. Over and over and over again.

We are talking about a true battle gun are we not?

Or just some modern assembly marketed as such with no history.

Triple Tap that Jack!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

You'd be more believable if you'd just admit that you aren't confident and comfortable with condition 1 and leave it at that. The mental gymnastics that you take to rationalize C3 are just so much confirmation bias. What you are talking about makes about as much sense as carrying a DA revolver with the first-up chamber (as opposed to chamber under the hammer) empty to avoid an AD.

If I was more comfortable with Condition One than Condition Three, I'd use it more often.

Happy now?

I thought it was pretty obvious people carry with the mode they are most comfortable using.

Much of my adult life has been spent fixing failed electro-mechanical stuff. Some have been pretty bizarre failures, things that in theory should never happen. If you want to fully trust a mechanical safety, go for it. After all, no one has ever had an AD/ND using Condition One, right? I choose not to.

Are you saying C3 is amune to AD/ND?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Happy now?

Are you saying C3 is amune to AD/ND?

Condition Three is empty chamber, loaded mag, hammer down.

None of my firearms will fire - intentionally or otherwise - with an empty chamber. So yes, I'm saying Condition Three is immune to AD/ND.

In order to have an AD/ND they must first be made to leave Condition Three.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No one knows anything ahead of time, that’s why prepaid for the worst and hope for the best.

"Prepare for the worst and work for the best" is something I've been teaching my girls for years.

I've also taught them that asking themselves "What is the worst that could happen?" when making decisions can save a lot of grief.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That really takes the fun out of it.....

Don't cross the street you might get run over.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This thread has turned into nothing but an argument. Some people read but some do not listen.

It has included "forgetting to snap your safety off under duress" to being able to use both your hands to rack your slide and then shoot. What is the bad guy doing while your using both hands to get ready to shoot?

"Hold on a minute boy, let me get my gun ready to shoot you at arms length".

I am sure the bad guy will oblige.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
CH and I have a simple difference of opinion. I don’t hate him because he does not carry a round in the chamber. It’s his life and his decision. My goal was to provide my opinion and post a few examples of failures with this mode of carry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
CH and I have a simple difference of opinion. I don’t hate him because he does not carry a round in the chamber. It’s his life and his decision. My goal was to provide my opinion and post a few examples of failures with this mode of carry.

Agreed. We have both made assessments of our environments, come to different conclusions as to the threat levels we face and thus made different decisions as to the best method of carry for our purposes.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was not talking specifically about you two alone.

We all have something to learn from each other. If we think about things said.

I tend to think a CC incident as a "battle scenario" .

.....and me winning.

I can't do some of the things I could do when I was younger. But I still feel comfortable in my abilities.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I'll just say it before someone else.....

That guy's a little slow on the trigger. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

No, it makes a good point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

No, it makes a good point.

Hardly. It just spouts an opinion, not fact. And not a particularly well-reasoned opinion at that - in my opinion.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Hardly. It just spouts an opinion, not fact. And not a particularly well-reasoned opinion at that - in my opinion.

Yeah, in your opinion.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I gotta admit, if you're carrying a 1911 and it's not cocked and locked you might as well be carrying an empty chamber.

Oh wait...

Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44mc, 35, 21, 358wsm, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,950
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.