Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been trying to make a handgun gift to my Grandson In California. Some dealer told him that if the serial doesn't have a "ca" at he end it can't be shipped there.
I have doubts about this because any gun that predates recent rulings would be outlawed completely.
The gun is a Sig Sauer that should meet all the California laws I'm aware of, limited magazine capacity and for sure a quality firearm.
Is California really that crazy?

GB1

Tracks Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Never mind, they are that crazy. Seems all Sigs are banned because they refuse to pay the state to put them on the acceptable list.
----------------------------------------

CA has removed these Sigs from the list of approved firearms. They were safe now they are not. So what is up with that?

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca...firearms/removed.pdf

P6 (C.A.I.) / Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
Mosquito (Green) MOS-22-G / Steel, Polymer ...........22 LR
P220 (Stainless) Sport / Stainless Steel ...........45 ACP
P228 (Two Tone) / Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229R GCP / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
226-9-Sport-STK / Stainless Steel ..........9mm
1911-45-S / Stainless Steel ...........45 ACP
P226R HSP / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P229R HSP / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P226R DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy .......... .40 S&W
P226R DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P226R DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229R DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P226R (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P226R (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P226R (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229 SAS / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P229R DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P229R DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P228R (Blue) / Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P225 (Blued) / Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P226R Blackwater 226R-9¬Blackwater / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229R Equinox / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P226 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P226 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P226 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P226 DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P226 DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P229 DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P229 DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P229 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy .......... .357 SIG
P229 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P220R Carry SAO (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........45 ACP
P226 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P226 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P226 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P229 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P229 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P239 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P239 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P239 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P226R (Stainless) / Stainless Steel ...........357 SIG
P226R (Stainless) / Stainless Steel ...........40 S&W
P226R (Stainless) / Stainless Steel ..........9mm
P226 FBINA / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W
P239 DAK (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P226 DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229 DAK / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P228 (Blued) / Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P220 (Blued) / Steel, Alloy ...........45 ACP
P220 (Two-Tone) / Steel, Alloy ...........45 ACP
P245 (Blued) / Steel, Alloy ...........45 ACP
P245 (Two-Tone) / Steel, Alloy ...........45 ACP
SP2009 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Polymer ..........9mm
SP2009 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Polymer ..........9mm
SP2340 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Polymer .......... .40 S&W
SP2340 (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Polymer ...........357 SIG
SP2340 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Polymer ...........357 SIG
SP2340 (Two-Tone) / Stainless Steel, Polymer ...........40 S&W
P226 Navy (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229R (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ..........9mm
P229R (Blued) / Stainless, Alloy ...........357 SIG
P229R (Blued) / Stainless Steel, Alloy ...........40 S&W

Post Options Post Options
Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2014 at 19:03
Peddler View Drop Down

Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Last edited by Tracks; 11/20/17.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not all of them. Certain models are available in my local gun stores. Any new models aren't allowed for BS reasons however. I'd suggest you contact somebody that does business here about this. However, I understand that if someone from another state buys a handgun in his home state and brings it to Kalifornia, he can sell or gift it to a family member. But, again, check with someone who sells guns here. E

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A better gift for him would be a 1 way ticket out of California...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can find the handgun roster here : http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

all glocks gen 4 , 5 are not in the list! ( except for LEO ) , this guy is asking $1250 for a gen 4 g40 ! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1381406

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jds44

Good advice, that.

The Democratic Peoples Republik of Kalifornia is no place for people who are shooters and/or care about individual rights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
[quote=jds44]
The Democratic Peoples Republik of Kalifornia is no place for people who are shooters and/or care about individual rights.

Dead on! Only reason I'm still here is family.

They've managed to make law abiding gun owners 'illegals' for still owning older firearms that were perfectly legal once upon a time, and still legal in other states. There isn't a state that works harder to disarm everyone but government people. They do it quietly, legal one day, illegal the next. I've just gone through hell finding suitable to me concealed carry arm. Manufacturers have to make special guns for California, and Massachusetts also. You can't even get a CCW in some counties or cities. Crappiest state in the USA! Thank God for the NRA and California Rifle & Pistol Association! They spend money and fight for our rights!

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IIRC, the “issue” is the micro-stamping law that was (to the best of my knowledge), never overturned. Under that law, all “new” guns being submitted for consideration must have a firing pin the micro-stamps an ID number on the primer when firing.
Any pistol that wants to be sold in CA, the manufacturer has to submit 3 samples of that pistol for destructive “safety” testing. Once testing is done, the guns are NOT returned to the manufacturer. And here’s the thing…if there is ANY change to the pistol at all, regardless of how innocuous it may be, 3 new pistols must be submitted for acceptance.

Pistols are falling off the list because manufacturers are making subtle changes to keep the guns up to date, or to optimize manufacturing processes. Now with the micro-stamping law, if the mfg makes a change, and that change doesn’t include micro-stamping; they can no longer sell their pistol in CA.

So the auto pistols that are CA approved are the only auto pistols that will EVER be available for sale in CA, since NONE of the manufacturers are willing to comply with CA’s micro-stamping law.

The ONLY exceptions I’m aware of (and this is something a dealer friend of mine TOLD me, I have not actually read the law), is if you move to CA from another state, you can bring your non-safety compliant handgun with you, but you can never sell it in CA. Again, that’s by word of mouth; I have not read the law (because I’m not moving to CA anytime soon).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek

So the auto pistols that are CA approved are the only auto pistols that will EVER be available for sale in CA, since NONE of the manufacturers are willing to comply with CA’s micro-stamping law.

The ONLY exceptions I’m aware of (and this is something a dealer friend of mine TOLD me, I have not actually read the law), is if you move to CA from another state, you can bring your non-safety compliant handgun with you, but you can never sell it in CA. Again, that’s by word of mouth; I have not read the law (because I’m not moving to CA anytime soon).

I just don't keep up with the changing laws as it's almost impossible what with subtle changes that aren't advertised. But, I believe the microstamping for semi auto's was overturned and not now a law. Wouldn't bet on it but I bought a semi auto recently, haven't checked the firing pin, but if it is microstamped, I'll polish the firing pin to eliminate. All semi autos now have to have safeties and a chambered round indicator.

The second statement is true. Also guns that aren't compliant can't be resold in the state but are grandfathered to the owners. You also have to 'register' all your guns when you come in. Inter-family transfers now have to be recorded. I gave some of my kids some of my guns. They weren't supposed to be registered and records of 'recent' purchases were supposed to be retained and destroyed after three years back into the 90's, so the government stated to the NRA and the California Rifle and Pistol Assn. That has changed now but that 3 year record and destruction was a lie. I bought a pistol in about 1968, gave it to a lady who later became my wife. She died recently. I gave the gun to my daughter last year. Remember, gun purchased in my name in the 60's. Daughter took the gun in for inspection, it was checked, and they told her the gun was 'registered' in my name and she had to do an inter-family transfer for the gun to be legal and on her CCW. I'm beginning to not trust politicians! That would mean that when I die my guns have to be transferred to heirs and that gun would not be legal if not compliant with current regulations. BS state!!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bob338
You also have to 'register' all your guns when you come in. Inter-family transfers now have to be recorded.

Eff all THAT...

I'm beginning to not trust politicians!
"Beginning"???

There should be mass refusal to comply with those obviously unconstitutional laws... What are they gonna do? Lock up 20-30 million gun owners?

Geez.........

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
[quote=Bob338]
There should be mass refusal to comply with those obviously unconstitutional laws... What are they gonna do? Lock up 20-30 million gun owners?

Geez.........

LOL! I believe there ARE many, many gun owners out here that have just said "screw it". How are they going to catch them? But it does restrict your ability to buy and sell, unless done 'under the counter'. And there's much of that also. That makes you a criminal. NRA and CRPA spend massive amounts of money out here. I'm a Life Member of both and donate quite a bit to CRPA mostly. They do have some success. CRPA is headed by a lawyer who was their lawyer before he took over. He's pretty good. Several suits against the state pending and others have been successful, but the politicians keep trying with many, many restrictive laws attempted constantly. You have no idea!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Took the words out of my mouth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wish I could , featureless AR-15 changes :

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob338
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I just don't keep up with the changing laws as it's almost impossible what with subtle changes that aren't advertised. But, I believe the microstamping for semi auto's was overturned and not now a law. Wouldn't bet on it but I bought a semi auto recently, haven't checked the firing pin, but if it is microstamped, I'll polish the firing pin to eliminate. All semi autos now have to have safeties and a chambered round indicator.

The second statement is true. Also guns that aren't compliant can't be resold in the state but are grandfathered to the owners. You also have to 'register' all your guns when you come in. Inter-family transfers now have to be recorded. I gave some of my kids some of my guns. They weren't supposed to be registered and records of 'recent' purchases were supposed to be retained and destroyed after three years back into the 90's, so the government stated to the NRA and the California Rifle and Pistol Assn. That has changed now but that 3 year record and destruction was a lie. I bought a pistol in about 1968, gave it to a lady who later became my wife. She died recently. I gave the gun to my daughter last year. Remember, gun purchased in my name in the 60's. Daughter took the gun in for inspection, it was checked, and they told her the gun was 'registered' in my name and she had to do an inter-family transfer for the gun to be legal and on her CCW. I'm beginning to not trust politicians! That would mean that when I die my guns have to be transferred to heirs and that gun would not be legal if not compliant with current regulations. BS state!!!

The auto pistols that you buy in CA aren't micro-stamped; no manufacturer has complied with that. So the one's available are those models that were approved before the law. As long as NOTHING ever changes to any of those models, they can be sold in CA. Once any change is made, then they can't be re-submitted unless they include micro-stamping.

If that law was overturned, I have never heard it. I have many friends in the business in CA and I think one of them would have mentioned something....but I've been wrong quite often before.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
California gun laws are unconstitutional, poorly written and nearly incomprehensible, and as a result they are vulnerable to being overturned through litigation. Some have been, and some are in process, but unfortunately, this takes considerable time.

Many ffls don't understand the laws correctly, and even CA DOJ has been known to give out incorrect information...it's a shameful situation.

Anyway you are generally wanting to do an inter-family transfer, and the best place to find out the details of how to do that legally is here:

Calguns

There is an extensive legal section, and the forum has posters that are attorneys representing law firms that are currently pursuing pro-gun legal cases in CA and nationwide and have won major precedent setting cases in the past.

You can do a search and/or ask your questions there.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 16 invisible), 1,959 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.