Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Yeah.

After he perforated kidney, lungs and the heart. Amongst other portions of the body.

With Gold Dots.

Dave

I saw that and I'd sure like to read that coroner's report. Some people are annoyingly reluctant to admit they've been killed.

Several years ago a day shift officer from a sister agency got dispatched to ChinaMart, on a report of an older W/M sitting in a pickup, drinking whiskey from the bottle and making lewd suggestions to women walking across the lot. Our boy arrives and puts the guy in the front seat of his cruiser w/o patting him down. Backup is scarce due to call volume. The perp reaches across and cuts the officers throat with a Leatherman and exits the vehicle, knife still in hand.

Officer gurgles 10-38 into the mic and exits the vehicle, holding his throat with one hand and drawing with the other. The dumbass makes another run at the cop who is hirt, scared and pissed by now; so he opens up. Perp runs back for his truck (where he had a stolen, loaded Charter Undercover under the seat) at a crouch. Cop catches him below the bottom rib with a 40/180/Hydra Shock which penetrates his torso diagonally knocking a "one inch defect" through everything that matters including his heart and solar plexus- the round was found expanded, hanging in his T shirt. Perp staggers but walks another 20 feet where the dog-catcher nails him with a Ford Ranger. That one did the trick.

So what I really want is an 18 shot 9mm with bullets that turn into Ford Rangers six feet from the muzzle wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by NMiller
Originally Posted by viking
Oh flave, I forgot to ask, what load do you carry in the backcountry. What other loads do you carry for the 40.

I'd like to know, too. Thought about trying out the .40 version of the round that Shoemaker used to kill a grizz with a 9 last year, BB outdoorsman I believe.

I carry this in the backcountry.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-w-180-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50

But I usually stagger it with a 180gr. HP of some variety. As long as they chronograph close to 1K I'm happy. Give or take 100fps.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I recently bought my wife a Glock 23. I think it's a good pistol and round. I used it to take my concealed carry and scored 250 out of 250. I personally think plastic guns are ugly, but it is fairly easy to conceal and was easy to shoot well with. Just a sample of 1 but like it enough to probably end up with another.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The only .40 S&W I would buy would be a Mark III Hi-Power. Rare. I found one but the fella's son said he shot it a lot so I did not buy it.

Still looking.

If I find one, I plan on shooting only moderate hand loads just for $h!ts and giggles so I can shoot it without tearing the damn thing up.

Would not use it for business purposes. Just to shoot.

Already have a fine set of grip panels to replace the stock plastic ones. Plastic is for Tackle boxes, not for guns.

I have a few "T' models and one "C" model, but a .40 Mark III would round out my collection.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I does not look like Glock is going to make the Gen 5 pistol in 40SW, seems we would have seen some news of this by now if it were going to happen. I believe HK offers the VP9 in 40 but they have not made the VP9 SC in 40SW.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
All this talk about 40's reminded of some 40 cal Underwood ammo I shot years ago. A late friend of mine ordered some, at the time I never even heard of underwood ammo (09?). We shot it out of a Glock 22. I don't recall what bullet weight but that felt like you where shooting a 10mm. Rather spicy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I chronographed a bunch of 10's vs 40's one year and the moral of the story was to be sure and chronograph your 10's because you may just be shooting a long cased .40 S&W.

But of course Photophaggot took a schit so the thread is now worthless.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I nearly traded into a G20 last year and I looked for chronographed 10mm ammo reviews by reputable folks as opposed to ammo companies. Figured if I was going to acquire a Ten the safest bet was to just load my own ammo.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I nearly traded into a G20 last year and I looked for chronographed 10mm ammo reviews by reputable folks as opposed to ammo companies. Figured if I was going to acquire a Ten the safest bet was to just load my own ammo.

Military Arms Channel chronographed both from same length barrels, and even the standard range ammo showed a significant velocity advantage for the 10mm, though, naturally, not to the full extent originally intended by the designers. For that, you need to go with boutique ammo companies or handload.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not in my experience. Matter of fact I have found handfuls of factory .40 to EXCEED factory 10mm ammo.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yeah.

After he perforated kidney, lungs and the heart. Amongst other portions of the body.

With Gold Dots.

Dave

I saw that and I'd sure like to read that coroner's report. Some people are annoyingly reluctant to admit they've been killed.

Several years ago a day shift officer from a sister agency got dispatched to ChinaMart, on a report of an older W/M sitting in a pickup, drinking whiskey from the bottle and making lewd suggestions to women walking across the lot. Our boy arrives and puts the guy in the front seat of his cruiser w/o patting him down. Backup is scarce due to call volume. The perp reaches across and cuts the officers throat with a Leatherman and exits the vehicle, knife still in hand.

Officer gurgles 10-38 into the mic and exits the vehicle, holding his throat with one hand and drawing with the other. The dumbass makes another run at the cop who is hirt, scared and pissed by now; so he opens up. Perp runs back for his truck (where he had a stolen, loaded Charter Undercover under the seat) at a crouch. Cop catches him below the bottom rib with a 40/180/Hydra Shock which penetrates his torso diagonally knocking a "one inch defect" through everything that matters including his heart and solar plexus- the round was found expanded, hanging in his T shirt. Perp staggers but walks another 20 feet where the dog-catcher nails him with a Ford Ranger. That one did the trick.

So what I really want is an 18 shot 9mm with bullets that turn into Ford Rangers six feet from the muzzle wink

That's a good story but I still wouldn't Monday morning QB the cop in that article. He put 17 of 33 rounds on target in a 56 second gun fight.

He was cognizant enough to opt for a CNS in the end but that doesn't mean he wasn't making hits from the start of the fight.

Travis

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In reading the latest FBI evaluation on the 9mm, ammo effectiveness seems to have been a minor consideration. As long as they felt the ammo was going to perform "adequately" that was good enough...

Ease of training, hit probability, cost of ammo, handgun service longevity seemed to have as much if not more importance than the effectiveness of the round.

As to round effectiveness, my major concern isn't weather or not a round will kill someone. What is important to me is what the "shootee" does between the time the bullet hits him and he hits the ground...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not in my experience. Matter of fact I have found handfuls of factory .40 to EXCEED factory 10mm ammo.

Travis

Only factory stuff I have found that is real 10mm loading is Sig ammo.

Buffalo Bore in my gun never met up with their specs. Dirty too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

. Perp staggers but walks another 20 feet where the dog-catcher nails him with a Ford Ranger.

I prefer the Ford Ranger to the Winchester Ranger T any day of the week for that application.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Travis

Now you have done it! The 10mm boys will be along shortly to tell you have wrong you are...40 makes infinitely more sense outdoors than the big framed 10 if your actually doing anything other than taking selfies with your gun. I now will sit back and wait for the Grizzly Bear to be mentioned.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Travis

Now you have done it! The 10mm boys will be along shortly to tell you have wrong you are...40 makes infinitely more sense outdoors than the big framed 10 if your actually doing anything other than taking selfies with your gun. I now will sit back and wait for the Grizzly Bear to be mentioned.

My Delta weighs 39oz. and the .460 Rowland weighs 41 oz. No big frame there. Pretty handy for me outdoors. I carry one or the other every damn day on the farm. Mostly the Delta because it is Stainless. Don't forget sometimes the various .45 ACPs. Does that work?

Never seen a Grizz myself in the wild. Lot of big hogs and Whitetails.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp

Travis

With the right load, it seems, even 9mm loads can handle a griz.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I just 50 rounds of 357 sig Remington bonded. Time to convert the 35 into my truck gun. LOL

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

in a similar fashion as 'Flave mentioned earlier, I've also found in my own comparisons between the .40 S&W and the 10mm using regular Federal factory loads in 180 gr weight, there isn't a real significant difference in velocity. in some examples, as much as 80 fps--but a guy expects a lot more when firing the 10mm--like at least 200 fps more, and preferably more...

other than some select "boutique" ammunition, to take full advantage of the 10, you've really have to roll your own, and in doing so, a person can tailor the pill--and charge--for a given purpose.

in digression, between the 10mm and the .45 Super, I prefer the Super (250 gr pills at 1050+ is some good medicine, and one can achieve it at about 9500 psi less than the 10mm). nevertheless, the advantage of the 10mm is definitely higher velocity--which is a good thing, and depending upon the platform--higher capacity too.

No one can predict the future, but I don't figure the .40 S&W will fade into obscurity...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Based on everything said here, I think the .40 is a viable caliber in the correct gun. Why not have one if you wish?

It is a performer. The one limit it has it seems is bullet weight. At 180gr things go south by my research compared to the other .400" .

If you have one, shoot it and enjoy it.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,654
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.