Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do any of you remember your great grandparents? I was the youngest on my father's side, I missed out on seeing any of mine alive.

Do any have great grandchildren?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My great grams died when I was 13 or 14. She was born in 1894 I believe.

She was a pretty amazing lady.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One Great Grandma died when I was 29, the other when I was 16.

I knew one very well, hardly recall the other one.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I vaguely remember one great grandmother.

She was over 100 when she died.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon

We have five.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great grandfather on my moms side died when he was 99. Still lived alone still drove a car to town everyday

Have a pic of him doing the twist with me when i was about 5 years old. But my strongest memory of him was watching him eat peas off a butter knife Lol

Great grandma on my dad’s side lived alone self sufficient until 96. Can recall going to her house for Sunday dinner everything cooked on the wood stove and damned good

Not a lot of time spent with them but enough to leave some indelible memories

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Great Grandma Verna, Smart, kind, and gentle woman, had terrible arthritis, the ends of her fingers went almost perpendicular to the rest of her fingers.

My Grandma Leola said she would pray every night for the Lord to come take her and I can remember a time or two when she said "Paulie, I do believe the good Lord has forgotten about me".

She got her just reward at 95.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
But my strongest memory of him was watching him eat peas off a butter knife Lol

Funny. Reminds me of a poem from when I was a wee lad.

I eat my peas with honey;
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A little off track ,but I remember my mother's grandfather's funeral,when I was about 7ish,not that that is a big deal,but he had an identicle twin at the service.I was a little confused to say the least.
My dad's grandfather was shot by a bootlegger.(so I'm told)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

We have five.

Teen pregnancies?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
One Great-Great-Grandmother died when I was 9. Her daughter, Great-Grandmother went when I was in my 30's. That Great-Granddad went about 10 years earlier.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
two of my great grandmothers, one on my dads side and one my moms. my great grandmother Rogers lost her eye sight not long after i was born, diabetes, i was the only great grandchild she got to see. great grandmother on my moms side lived to 114 and rolled her own ciggs till she died.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

One summer, when I was a teenager, I lived with my grandmother and her mother. Great Grammy was 90 at the time. She knit me a blanket that summer. I still have it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew my great grand parents from both mom and dad's side of the family. All were born in the 1890's and passed on in the late 1970's and early 1980's.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My wife's great grandma was around and doing fine until well after we were married. She paid for most of our first small house for us.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My parents were older than dirt when I was born. I only saw one of my grandparents, let alone any great-grandparents. I have three grandchildren who are fantastic, but none that are great.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Last i remember actually seeing and talking with my maternal great grandmother was when I was around 10 or 11 years old. According to records she was born in 1864 and died when she was 96 years old.

She was almost totally blind in her later years and had to be led around by someone anytime she was away from her home place but at her own home she still cooked, kept house and did pretty much whatever she felt like all on her own. Everybody called her "Maw".

I remember her telling us stories about when she was a young girl and being afraid of hungry wolves and panthers prowling around their cabin. Said sometimes panthers would even get on the roof of their cabin at night. Their fireplace chimney was made of clay mud and sticks and that they had to regularly patch it.

Never met her husband (my GGF) as he died 1938 which was a bit before I was born.
Records show him as born in 1854 so he likely would have had some memories of the Civil War and especially memories of what life was like afterwards.

Awfully tough life many people had back then. Those that survived it came out as some awfully tough people.

Last edited by joken2; 11/23/17.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I knew all my great grandparents on my dad’s side as well as my mother’s father’s parents. Mom’s mother’s parents died in a house fire when grandma was young. Both of my dad’s granddads were characters that I remember well, named my son after one of them. One great great aunt I was close with was a real corker too, really a great old gal who lived alone and kept her house until 97.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of my Greats, if they were still alive when I came around, never made it to this side of the ocean.

Actually, I don't recall either of my parents ever mentioning anything about their grand parents.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do any of you remember your great grandparents? I was the youngest on my father's side, I missed out on seeing any of mine alive.

My great grandmother lived to be 96. Born 1886, told me about seeing Annie Oakley perform in Buffalo Bills Wild West show. Wow!

My FIL will be 91 in a few weeks and is at the moment holding his 3 week old great grand son. He's a happy man today.

Last edited by hatari; 11/23/17.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.