-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My dryer crapped out last night and I need a new one (Not a terrible time with Black Friday deals I guess). I have natural gas in the house and a line running into the laundry room. Should I consider a gas dryer or stay with Electric? I have always had electric so I don't have any experience with gas but I hear they dry better than electric.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

cheaper to operate

softer dry.....gas will be more $$ to purchase...from what I researched

have a vent to tie into ? if code allows.......

I am considering...but I have to run supply line.......as well as tie into furnace vent...if permitted

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
gas by far is the best, IMO. I have had gas for the past 23 years. Gas fireplace, gas water heater, gas stove top, and gas household heat as well. Fool proof, even after tornadoes.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by tikkanut

.as well as tie into furnace vent...if permitted

Not permitted, bad idea.

Jason
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have used nothing but a gas dryer for many years. My 70 y/o house has only one 220V circuit breaker which is connected to the well pump now, since a new well was drilled close to the house, and I didn't want to use the 220 from the detached garage.

Gas dryers run on 110V to tumble, and a gas line was close to the laundry room. What became a necessity of using gas turned into cost savings. The gas dryer is far more efficient from our experience. It heats instantly and cools down quicker. It's noisier, however.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
We have used nothing but a gas dryer for many years. My 70 y/o house has only one 220V circuit breaker which is connected to the well pump now, since a new well was drilled close to the house, and I didn't want to use the 220 from the detached garage.

Gas dryers run on 110V to tumble, and a gas line was close to the laundry room. What became a necessity of using gas turned into cost savings. The gas dryer is far more efficient from our experience. It heats instantly and cools down quicker. It's noisier, however.

You on propane out there or natural gas?

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've had more trouble with gas dryers than electric, so lower utility costs didn't make up for the higher initial costs and repair costs.

I have a gas connection, but went with electric on my last 2 sets (only 2 because we built a new house and wife had to have a different color... crazy ).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Propane

It's not as efficient as natural, but the electric dryers were eating us up.

Originally Posted by TXRam
I've had more trouble with gas dryers than electric, so lower utility costs didn't make up for the higher initial costs and repair costs.

I have a gas connection, but went with electric on my last 2 sets (only 2 because we built a new house and wife had to have a different color... crazy ).

What kind of troubles? In 15 years I replaced one igniter. I replaced several heat elements in the electric dryer we kept and used in the garage. Third time it failed it went to the metal recycler.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My experience; 30 years in the Marine Corps, stationed all over the US. Have used both and had the lowest expense and problems with gas.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Replaced the thermostat in the last one (Kenmore) 2 or 3 times.

With electric deregulation and picking my plan, I didn't notice much difference on energy costs myself. In this house (150% of the size of the prior house), our electric bill is lower than the last house! And we have a pool!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That reminds me. I replaced a thermostat in the electric one we finally dumped. I cannibalized another one that had died and was out in the metal pile, so it didn't cost more than some creative swearing. grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Propane

It's not as efficient as natural, but the electric dryers were eating us up.

Originally Posted by TXRam

What kind of troubles? In 15 years I replaced one igniter. I replaced several heat elements in the electric dryer we kept and used in the garage. Third time it failed it went to the metal recycler.

Probably buying a place in Stagecoach. I was surprised it was on natural gas. Mostly Propane east of Dayton.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bja105
Originally Posted by tikkanut

.as well as tie into furnace vent...if permitted

Not permitted, bad idea.

thx.......wasn't sure.......4" furnace vent was close.......

didn't know if I could use it.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to everyone for the input... we are on natural gas. Are there any secrets to hooking up the natural Gas? I assume I need a wrench and some pipe thread tape. The line going into the laundry room is capped right now

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JMHO, but I'd pay someone that knows what they're doing to mess with pressurized gas line...

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Second that....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by scbigben
Thanks to everyone for the input... we are on natural gas. Are there any secrets to hooking up the natural Gas? I assume I need a wrench and some pipe thread tape. The line going into the laundry room is capped right now

No problem at all. Gas is about a third the cost of running an electric dryer. You will need a couple of wrenches though.

I assume that some where you can turn off the gas supply your house.( shut the gas off) You will need an appliance flexible gas line and fittings.. Length is limited to certain diameters. Probably you will need !/2" diameter. Put a shut off valve on the end of the existing stub, approved for natural gas. If the flex line is too short to couple to, you will need to add std steel black pipe (not galvanized pipe).You can buy pre-threaded pipe in lengths from 3" to 20 feet.( I wold put the hard pipe on before the shut off valve). Then the flex line the dryer. If there already is a valve on the end of the stub you are really set to go. Just make sure you buy the right fittings to get from the valve to the flex line You will also need pipe compound for sealing and a bottle of leak detector. Use a new flex line. Hook every thing up and with the shutoff valve turned in the off position turn on the gas supply.Check for leaks at the valve and any new pipe added with the liquid leak detector. Fix if required. Open the shut off valve and check for leaks between it and the dryer, using the liquid leak detector. Turn on valve and be generous with the liquid leak detector.Dry off and repeat. If all OK , procede with the vent installation.

If there is gas stub in the laundry room,there might already be a vent. Since you already had the electric dryer, there probably is one you can use.

If not:

If you are putting it in a basement ,you will need to run a vent at least up to the top of the concrete and out the rim joist. So you will need a vent kit and they sell flexible vent line. Solid is better, but the flexible is OK ..
If in an above ground location, or thru a framed wall, run the vent out the wall. Again you will need a vent kit and vent line.Make sure the vent is above the height of any snow you get if you do.Either way,you will need a reciprocating saw. If cutting thru a wall that has wall board. Cut the wall board first and inspect for any electric lines present.

I plumed my entire basement for gas 40 years. Added gas dryer, gas fire places and gas hot water tank.Use common sense, be careful and you won't have a problem.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a gas dryer that was new when I was in high school. Not a part on it you can't buy and replace yourself.

Bet i haven't spent $400 on it in thirty years.

Last edited by calikooknic; 11/23/17. Reason: Fat index finger

Sean

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (22kHornet, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 257Bob, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 67 invisible), 3,935 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,589
Posts18,532,356
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.