Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I've about decided on the Montana over a Barrett. I would really enjoy a Barrett,and I think it is a fine rifle. I really wish that the safety locked the bolt. I've not owned the Barrett but I'm starting to think I may prefer the Montana action and trigger over the Barrett,especially the 3 position safety. Take the price difference into consideration and I could have a Montana rebarreled with a quality barrel "if" it didn't shoot to satisfaction. I am very happy with my one Montana and haven't decided 100%,but that's been the line of my reasoning lately. The one factor that I wish the Montana had,which would pretty much decide it for me,is a longer mag box.

Did that same calculus and arrived at the same conclusion. I really doubt a FC is going to shoot better than my current Montana 308 - 3 shots cover with a quarter on numerous occasions. It really likes Re15....................

I must be unbelievably lucky. I've had 6-7 Montanas and have been able to get them to shoot Nosler Partitions no less, at MOA. Throw a Sierra into the equation and things get mo' better. I've seen a few Montanas that struggled to shoot but I think that is inevitable. At least until you end up with one of them, then it sucks. I'm solidly on the Kimber Montana wagon until it quits working. A guy can buy a used Montana for ~ $900. I've bought several, did the Kimber tricks which take an hour and viola' an MOA shooter than weighs between 6 and 7 lbs.

I take possession of a brand new Montana 280 AI next week. Lets hope my luck holds out <G>

Last edited by bwinters; 11/23/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
308 Montana and 257 ROBERTS select classic, I have had for years now, both are nice rifles and both shoot better than I do. The Roberts has shot 1 hole 5 shots on occasion with Hornady 117’s and 4350, the Montana is about an inch or maybe 1.5 depending more on me with Speer 165 boattail bullets and Varget, just picked up a Tikka T3X 6.5CM CTR and with 3 different factory loads it’s about a MOA rifle on its first outing, but its not really a hunting rifle and I bought it to try my hand at a new range that offers longer distance shooting. I am sure the Fieldcraft is a nice rifle but I have been thinking of another Tikka hunting rifle in 6.5 the LW stainless gun, but it’s just hard to justify with a good 257 Roberts. I killed a little 9 point last week with that gun, the 117 hornady is a good bullet. Of course these are my opinions only and I do not shoot 500 yards animals, I am just a red neck close range Deer hunter.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Peek, peak, and pique.............

Through the window I peeked
And my libido was piqued
She was on the bed
Her hair was quite red
And she was twin-peaked

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 16bore
Ruger RAR is a second fiddle to Tikka

Agreed ! IMO the RAR is a Tikka wannabe, that didn't make it !

Jerry

I would not say it did not make it as I think Ruger is doing really well with it. In South-Africa a RAR is less than half the price of a Tikka T3 which makes it really attractive, especially if it will be a working rifle that you simply throw behind the pick-up's seat. Other than accuracy (yes I own a Tikka) there is nothing special about a Tikka. The trigger is pretty crap if you do not change the trigger spring, the stocks are nothing to write home about and the rest is just ordinary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did Kimble wiggle so prominently into this discussion?

In my old age, I get confused. Someone help me remember.

Tikka Roulette
Kimber Roulette
Barrett Roulette

That's all I have to add. Oh, Happy Halloween everyone!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m77
Originally Posted by 16bore
Ruger RAR is a second fiddle to Tikka

Agreed ! IMO the RAR is a Tikka wannabe, that didn't make it !

Jerry

I would not say it did not make it as I think Ruger is doing really well with it. In South-Africa a RAR is less than half the price of a Tikka T3 which makes it really attractive, especially if it will be a working rifle that you simply throw behind the pick-up's seat. Other than accuracy (yes I own a Tikka) there is nothing special about a Tikka. The trigger is pretty crap if you do not change the trigger spring, the stocks are nothing to write home about and the rest is just ordinary.

I agree.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by m77

I would not say it did not make it as I think Ruger is doing really well with it.

... there is nothing special about a Tikka. The trigger is pretty crap if you do not change the trigger spring, the stocks are nothing to write home about and the rest is just ordinary.

First off, I meant that the rar isn't the same quality as a Tikka T 3. Your comment about throwing the rar behind the seat bears that out.

"trigger pretty crap" ? ? ? You are in the minority of those commenting on Tikka triggers. Mine is a L O N G way from crap. NO travel, NO creep, NOT heavy pull. I have NOT touched the trigger mechanism except to squeeze it.
Those are the comments I've heard mostly here on the fire.

I'm in my 15th season with the T 3 Lite 270 Win, using factory rings. It has held zero with 1 (ONE) exception, I took a HARD fall and the whole rife hit the ground on its side. I had to adjust the scope 2" IIRC.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I haven't made up my mind YET which is UGLIER, rar or salvage.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree with jwall on the trigger, and even the factory rings. I find the trigger to be excellent, and obviously very easy to adjust.....takes about 3 minutes. I've also had several Tikkas over the past 20 years, including several T3's. As long as you don't break out the cheater pipe and over torque the rings they will hold up fine and work great..

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't believe the T3 to a Barrett is a good comparison, and they shouldn't be; the Barrett costs over 2x what a Tikka costs. Both have their place, but for me it would take a serious stock upgrade, a better recoil lug, and some better optic mounting options to use a Tikka over my Fieldcraft.

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And my libido was piqued
She was on the bed
Her hair was quite red
And she was twin-peaked

Damn your White Privilege Public School Educations!

I don't feel safe anymore!

But, I'd take versions or iterations over extractions of 7mm any time!

P.S. If Beretta started bringing in threaded and shorter-barreled T3x Superlites it would reset the marketing OODA Loop of many rifle makers, both foreign and domestic.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m77

I would not say it did not make it as I think Ruger is doing really well with it.

... there is nothing special about a Tikka. The trigger is pretty crap if you do not change the trigger spring, the stocks are nothing to write home about and the rest is just ordinary.

First off, I meant that the rar isn't the same quality as a Tikka T 3. Your comment about throwing the rar behind the seat bears that out.

"trigger pretty crap" ? ? ? You are in the minority of those commenting on Tikka triggers. Mine is a L O N G way from crap. NO travel, NO creep, NOT heavy pull. I have NOT touched the trigger mechanism except to squeeze it.

I'm in my 15th season with the T 3 Lite 270 Win, using factory rings. It has held zero with 1 (ONE) exception, I took a HARD fall and the whole rife hit the ground on its side. I had to adjust the scope 2" IIRC.

Jerry

Everyone I know with Tikkas has had a similar experience to yours, Jerry. I've never owned one but I'm thinking seriously about acquiring one. As far as looks go the Tikka looks gorgeous compared to the RAR. That Ruger looks like it was put together by a bunch of all-thumbs drunk [bleep]. It sounds like it's actually good rifle, but holy crap, I have a hard time getting past the looks.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 340boy

Jerry

As far as looks go the Tikka looks gorgeous compared to the RAR. That Ruger looks like it was put together by a bunch of all-thumbs drunk [bleep]. It sounds like it's actually good rifle, but holy crap, I have a hard time getting past the looks.

laugh laugh YEP.

I don't care how good she performs, I haven't been drunk enuff to go to bed with Coyote UGLY !

I have a Timney on a Custom M 98 and I like the Tikka trigger better.

In 15 yrs. I NEVER considered getting rid of my Tikka T 3 Lite.
I would NOT hesitate to get another if I wanted or needed it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by m77

Jerry

Everyone I know with Tikkas has had a similar experience to yours, Jerry. I've never owned one but I'm thinking seriously about acquiring one. As far as looks go the Tikka looks gorgeous compared to the RAR. That Ruger looks like it was put together by a bunch of all-thumbs drunk [bleep]. It sounds like it's actually good rifle, but holy crap, I have a hard time getting past the looks.

Throw it in a chassis and it gets better...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Tikkas, right now a 7.5lb all up rifle is as light as I can shoot well. Once I improve on that I hope to try out either a barret or a Kimber Montana. Currently happily slumming my T3.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just saw this definition on Googles Urban dictionary-

TIKKATARD-
A rifle consumer who is actually dumb enough to believe that cheap, homely injection molded Finnish polymer is somehow"better" than cheap homely injection molded American polymer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

And my libido was piqued
She was on the bed
Her hair was quite red
And she was twin-peaked

lol........!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jk16

TIKKATARD-
A rifle consumer who is actually dumb enough to believe that cheap, homely injection molded Finnish polymer is somehow"better" than cheap homely injection molded American polymer.

I reckon others are just Regularturds !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

TIKKATARD-

C'mon, jk16, don't make it personal. Don't be a hater, man.

After all, I have several friends who shoot Tikkas. You know, the ones whose wives wouldn't let them buy a real Sako. grin

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by skeen

TIKKATARD-

C'mon, jk16, don't make it personal. Don't be a hater, man.

After all, I have several friends who shoot Tikkas. You know, the ones whose wives wouldn't let them buy a real Sako. grin

Not hating at all. Blame Google not me.. :()

Folks get retarded over all sorts of wares..And see things that simply are not there.

And btw-the word "European" could replace "Tikka" and the definition would be just as valid.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My tikkatard son does pretty well with his T3 7-08.

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.