Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jk16
Just saw this definition on Googles Urban dictionary-

TIKKATARD-
A rifle consumer who is actually dumb enough to believe that cheap, homely injection molded Finnish polymer is somehow"better" than cheap homely injection molded American polymer.

Not only is the stock far better than any other “American Made” factory plastic stock.... the action it houses is at least on par with any other American action in its class.... with consistently accurate barrels and a vastly superior trigger.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
HR IC

J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Well done by your son, congrats. That's a great lope !

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jay
Well [quote=JGRaider]My tikkatard son does pretty well with his T3 7-08.

[Linked Image]

JG..
Nice.shooting by your boy. I did the same at his age with a lowly American made Ruger m77. Who would have thought?

But go back and read the definition... just because you own a Tikka does not mean you have gone full retard over it.

That's because -most likely- his father has not taught him to be a mindless zealot incapable of logical thought.

Meanwhile ,it appears all is not wonderful in Tikkaworld-

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/4551054632

Last edited by jk16; 11/24/17.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I own several Tikkas and have never found one that needed any degree of tweaking. Basically, the shoot, right out of the box. And the Tikka rifles feed flawlessly from a detachable magazine

One reason I'd NOT own a Barrett Fieldcraft is because of the lack of a hinged floorplate or detachable magazine.

A couple times, I've had pine needles and such drop into my saddle scabbard and get into the blind magazine of the ULA rifle I was hunting with. This buggered up the feeding of cartridges and it cost me two bull elk. No more blind magazines for me.

(For those who don't know, when hunting on horseback, you NEVER carry a round in the chamber. So, when you dismount to either hunt or kill, it is needful that the magazine allow rounds to feed. If the blind magazine is hung-chow or otherwise constipated, you are dicked ... and have to disassemble the rifle in the field. And that, after losing opportunities on two decent branch-antlered bulls led me to the opinion that a serious big game rifle should not have a blind magazine. Obviously, YMMV, and that's fine and dandy)

If the Barrett had a hinged floorplate or a drop magazine, I might consider one. Otherwise, no ... actually, HELL NO.

kd

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kududude

I own several Tikkas and have never found one that needed any degree of tweaking. Basically, they shoot, right out of the box. And the Tikka rifles feed flawlessly from a detachable magazine

One reason I'd NOT own a Barrett Fieldcraft is because of the lack of a hinged floorplate or detachable magazine.

No more blind magazines for me.

led me to the opinion that a serious big game rifle should not have a blind magazine. Obviously, YMMV, and that's fine and dandy)

Absolutely !

Some people abhor DBMs for reasons I don't understand. I like hinged floorplates, though I seldom use them. They are there when you need 'em.

I've been a fan of D B M (clips), uh..stripper clips are not the same as D B M (clips), for a long time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Not only is the stock far better than any other “American Made” factory plastic stock.... the action it houses is at least on par with any other American action in its class.... with consistently accurate barrels and a vastly superior trigger.

My cinnamints xaactly.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And that, after losing opportunities on two decent branch-antlered bulls led me to the opinion that a serious big game rifle should not have a blind magazine. Obviously, YMMV, and that's fine and dandy)

Nothing wrong with personal preferences, YMMV, etc. but this is the same as saying that rifles with blind magazines like Kimbers and NULAs are not "serious big game rifles" which is absurd in my opinion.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

JG..
Nice.shooting by your boy. I did the same at his age with a lowly American made Ruger m77. Who would have thought?

But go back and read the definition... just because you own a Tikka does not mean you have gone full retard over it.

That's because -most likely- his father has not taught him to be a mindless zealot incapable of logical thought.

If it weren't for his masters degree, you'd possibly be right. In reality it appears you're the one in full retard mode.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider

JG..

If it weren't for his masters degree, you'd possibly be right. In reality it appears you're the one in full retard mode.

JGRaider,

I took the time to read through the "Accurate reloading forum thread" just put of curiosity. 😁

There were a few things an experienced handloader can discern.

1. The poster was apparently trying a new "Handload" that showed zero workup 😰 and apparently in the OPs words were "Pretty Hot Loads"
Wow! If that doesn't scream inexperience I don't know what does?

2. The inexperienced "Handloader" had also disassembled his rifle various times to which I am going to be forced to guess most inexperienced people can easily get schit apart....its the putting it back together properly that actually requires "Experience" 😀😀

3. When asked what his action screws were torqued to he really wasn't sure but decided perhaps he should check them. 😳

4. The thread came to an end before any factual conclusion could be determined.

I'm not saying that a Tikka never has a problem, occasionally it can happen. However it is damn rare and often not nearly as evident as say a bolt handle falling off. 😀😀😀

By the way......Congrats to the Kid for a job well done and helping to put food on the table.
I know he's just a kid but I'm thinking he could likely teach jk16 a thing or two about the real world.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I like the Tikka I got. It's still box stock. How much does a Barrett cost?

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"All is not wonderful in Tikkaworld" because some unknown guy on the internet can't get one to shoot?

That's a stretch.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider

You took the words right out of my mind !! Or possibly 'full regularturd' mode.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
And that, after losing opportunities on two decent branch-antlered bulls led me to the opinion that a serious big game rifle should not have a blind magazine. Obviously, YMMV, and that's fine and dandy)

Nothing wrong with personal preferences, YMMV, etc. but this is the same as saying that rifles with blind magazines like Kimbers and NULAs are not "serious big game rifles" which is absurd in my opinion.

Hey, obviously all of us have opinions based upon personal experience in the hunting field; some of us have a little and some of us have a lot.

For over sixty years, I spent two months or more (usually more) either hunting big game or guiding paid big game hunters. I have a fair amount of field experience ... BUT, I treasure and honour opinions of those with equal or more experience.

The quote that rifles with blind magazines DID NOT come from me; it came from a good friend and hunting companion of mine, Jim Carmichael, during a private conversation in hunting camp. I related my "pine needle in the damned blind magazine" experience to Jim and that was his response. And, as usual, Jimmy was an artist with words grin

Anyway, I totally and truly apologize for being "absurd;" I'm simply another of those fools you cross paths with on the 'web.

Blessings,

kd

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oh well, if Jim Carmichael said it I take it all back.

Got any quotes from Craig Boddington? That would really seal the deal. Loved the use of italics, by the way. Powerful.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A couple times, I've had pine needles and such drop into my saddle scabbard and get into the blind magazine of the ULA rifle I was hunting with. This buggered up the feeding of cartridges and it cost me two bull elk. No more blind magazines for me.

How did the pine needles affect the feeding of shells?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

How did the pine needles affect the feeding of shells?

Got into the magazine (which was captive) and blocked the feeding. Easy to understand and maddening once you experience it.

Blessings,

kd

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
Oh well, if Jim Carmichael said it I take it all back.

Got any quotes from Craig Boddington? That would really seal the deal. Loved the use of italics, by the way. Powerful.

Never hunted with Craig, though I know him.

My brother Chub hunted with Craig a lot and respected him a great deal.

Blessings,

kd

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Do you think Melvin Forbes doesn't know how to make a "serious big game rifle?"

Just curious.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I’m of the opposite opinion RE blind magazines...I’m leery of hinged floor plates because they can accidentally open at the worst possible time. I’m told that serious hunters even duct tape them closed for this reason. I’ve been hunting seriously with blind magazine rifles for a while now and have never had trouble with pine needles getting in. How does it happen?

Last edited by riverdog; 11/24/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have different flavors of all of 'em, blind magazine, hinged floor plate and detachable magazine. Of the 3, I prefer blind magazines.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (AB2506, 10gaugemag, 6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,220
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.