-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I need some feedback guys. I recently won a bid on GB for a 99 30-30 salesman sample.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63843095

When it arrived I discovered it was not in quite as good a condition as the seller made out. Butt plate is not original and dime size gouge behind the tang but no crack. sick:( Oh yeah, stock and forearm have been sanded on some also.

Bluing IS nice and it seems tight although I haven't shot it yet.

I knew it was D&T when I bought it so I know it'll never be true "collector" but is it worth anything like the $800+ I paid for it in you guys opinion.

Thanks for honest opinions and my flame suit is on.

DDD

Last edited by DaveDaDeerslayer; 02/10/07.

Don't fire unless fired upon. But if they want a war let it begin here.

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The real question is: When you shoulder it, does it feel right or does it feel like you spent to much money? Only you can answer that question. I have an EG, 1941, .300 sav. It is possibly the best shouldering rifle that I have ever owned. With iron sight at 65 yrds, she never misses the soda can. I paid $499.00 for this rifle but would have paid much more. Good luck and enjoy it. The more you shoot it the less you'll worry about how much you spent!! Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DDD,
How do I say this??? I think you are suffering from buyer's remorse. I have NEVER bought a gun, I already take that back. I bought my first 219 from an ad in Shotgun News. Long time ago. The gun was said to be in excellent condition. When I got it, it was NOT junk, but I felt it was not worth any thing even CLOSE to be worth the amount I paid. I contacted the seller, had quite the heated discussion BUT got my money back in no uncertain terms. Never again have I bought a gun without seeing it first. Now you ask us if we think it's worth what you paid. My first response was going to be that 18 other people thought it was. BUT then I see most of the bids were yours. But, IMO, you're still overlooking one important thing. You outbid 1899Sav and just that one thing should answer your question. We all knows he goes all the way grin grin Sounds like your gun isn't THAT bad. You paid more money than I would, but then again, that's why I only have 13 99's, instead of 200+. laugh laugh You done good!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys,

I'm just a little bummed out that it wasn't as described. When it says the #'s match and they don't, that upsets me.

She is sweet in a lot of other ways, and I think I'm talking myself into keeping her as I type. I mean hell, they don't make em anymore, do they? smile

DDD

Captain John Parker, commander of the militiamen at Lexington, Massachusetts, on sighting British Troops (attributed), April 19, 1775
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You paid a big sum and did NOT get a rifle in the condition it was described to be in. You did NOT get what you paid for. The $800 value for which you paid was not delivered... therefore, you "over-paid" for something which is of lesser value.

Conclusion: Either get SOME money back or return the rifle and get all of your money back. That rifle isn't worth $800 in the condition you described. I'd say it is worth more like $350.

While it's true they don't make 'em anymore, there are still a good many Model 99s out there in better condition that are sellling for LESS!

It's your call, my friend... jus' my 2 cents worth......

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think the seller did a good job of picturing the rifle. The only thing I could not see was the "...dime size gouge behind the tang...". All the other defects were shown very clearly.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The original butt plate is in place and all the wood and butt plate numbers match"
There is no reason not to use your 3 day inspection period
if your not happy. Or try to have a conversation with the seller
about comming up with a deal that allows you to keep the gun.
I agree with Rick on the photos. The butt plate not matching
is worth having a talk with the seller IMO.
I guess im just agreeing with Ron T.

Last edited by Grogel; 02/10/07.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
them drill holes cut it in half

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All,

Thanks for the replies. I am still thinking hard on this one. Just so I'm clear on this; the stock has the serial # 392,xxx stamped very clearly in the wood. The buttplate has J J4 stamped on it and no emblem (circle SVG) on the toe of the plate like my other 303 99 from this period.

She is in above average condition for a 67 year old rifle. I could tell it was D&T. My plan was to put a period El Paso Weaver K4 on her.

I'm leaning toward keeping her and trying to find a correct butt plate and a tang sight which would just about hide the ding in the stock. crazy

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

DDD

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You are talking yourself into "putting lipstick on a Pig". If it said number match, and they don't----thats a deal breaker. $800 should have got you
1 No holes
2 Original wood and butt plate
3 70% or better condition
JMHO, your mileage may vary!

If you really like something,you better buy two!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave, I am with the other guys on this one, it darn sure would either go back, or he would have to send me some money back. The D&T brings it down to 500 for me, or less. The Buttplate not matching would take off another 100. JMHO, Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Les, he knew about the d&t, so can't complain about that in regards to what he paid. The gouge and the buttplate definitely bring it down some, so it seems to either be eat the shipping and send it back or try to negotiate a lower price. Don't know what it's worth, not a lot of these out there. I'd say if you can't agree on a lower price you're both happy with, send it back and let him relist it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't numbers not matching, it would have to go back, specially since it says numbers match. Dave, if it wasn't D&T'd from the factory it isn't worth much, you can go with the blue book pricing for a rifle that has been D&T'd. That book is very underpriced for the Savages. Les

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the sanity check, guys. It's going back and I'll try again.

Besides, I just scored a 303 salesman sample locally for $425, all original excect for a compass in the stock, and almost as nice as that 30-30.

DDD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like a much better deal IMO, Les

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Very interesting how these salesman's samples keep showing up!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I buy a lot of guns off the internet, and before that, Gun List, Shotgun News and from a variety of catalogs that various dealers put out. And, you have to get used to downgrading what your fantasy of that rifle will be. I've returned many for such reasons as drilled and tapped (that I had not been told of), filled in swivel holes in buttstock and on and on. You have to have some give and take too. A small difference in estimate of original finish and so on. One of the things to try to do (and I've not always been successful)is to try to avoid talking yourself into something you wouldn't have bought had you held it in your hands before purchasing. Yes, sometimes you have to absorb some return shipping, but remember, often traveling to gun shows is not cost-free either. When buying from afar, unless there are a multitude of good pictures, I generally try to call the person, talk to them and get a sense of them and then have them hold the gun in their hand while I ask questions. Such as have them look for signs of a filled in swivel hole. I can't even estimate how many times I've had a seller respond, "darn, I didn't see that before." Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but it makes it a lot harder for them to "overlook" something when they have it in their hands and you are asking very specific questions. By the way, I do think you were wise to send this gun back.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,204
Posts18,503,784
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.