Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Who's hunted or adventured with one of these ?

I always looked at them in sportsmans magazines and such but have never laid eyes on one .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's your bug out vehicle:

www.rokon.com/bikes/rokon-preppers-%E2%80%93-survivor-edition

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Send Safaiman a PM....he used to be a Rokon rebel as I recall.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pretty pricey. When I first saw one (iirc) the price was below 1k. They've gone up a bit since, but I've always wanted one.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never ridden one but know a few folks who've used them. Bottom line is if you're using them in an area where the trails are so narrow you can't use a 4 wheeler or are transporting it in an aircraft, it's the only tool for the job. If however you can get a conventional 4X4 into the same spot, you can get a 400-500cc 4X4 atv that will do everything the Rokon can do, quite a few things it can't do for the same price.

I just don't see $7000 of capability in a Rokon, but your mileage may very.

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Beat me to the punch dang it!

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Yeah ok -maybe I can buy some insurance and his chevy Avalache also or his 10 second 1/4 mile harley . smile

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Send Mackay Sagebrush a PM he may have one...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've got one. Any questions I can answer?? Bought it new about 12 years ago. They were a laround $4k then.....

I've also owned a Yamaha TW200, and would be happy to compare the two for you.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mackay has a KLR650 but no ROKON...but I do have two ROKONs, a 2010 and just last year a 2015 with a sidecar. Bought both of them used.

I like them can as I can do all the service work myself and they just happen to be made about three miles from my house...

Hoping to take mine out for my next visit to Idaho...getting too old to walk as far as I would like and out in Idaho distances are LONG...

Bob

Last edited by RJM; 11/25/17.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Just figured some folks here might have one or have had one and a story to go along with it .

Posted by Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I got mine because I had always seen them as a kid in the back of the outdoor mags. Just decided it was one of those "bucket list" things I had to have as an adult with some disposable income.

It's been very reliable. No serious issues. About once every 1-2 years, I have to run a little piece of wire through a jet on the carb. Not a gas issue, but a design issue with the carb on the Kohler motor that mine has. Other than that, it's been fine.

I have the Scout model. It didn't come with the water/gas tank wheels. I didn't want to spend the extra money, plus it was a lot harder to find 15" tires for those wheels(and the ones available were supposedly not good on side hills) vs. a huge availability of tires available for the 12" "spoke" wheels.

Mine only has about 6-1/2 hp. It's plenty for what the machine was designed for. The bike is all about low speed/torque/gearing. First gear only gets you up to a little over 5mph. It's for VERY rough terrain, or heavily treed areas where you're kinda making hour own trail. It's also very good if you have to go over a large obstruction or through a dicey area. You simply jump off the bike, and "walk" it along with the throttle. It won't go fast enough in 1st gear to get away from you.

Second gear is where the bike stays most of the time, and 3rd is for roads/trails. It'll only go about 25-30mph. You have to stop to change gears. It doesn't have a clutch or shift on the fly.

The brakes on the newer ones are much better. Mine work, but are mechanical disc brakes. Not that great on lots of steep hill riding.

They have a suspension front end available, now. Mine is solid in the front. The rear doesn't do much. For higher speeds, you kind of transfer your weight to your feet, like riding a horse, otherwise your butt bounces around all over and you rattle your teeth.

It's a neat bike for riding through "uncharted" territory, but if you have decent trails or roads, the Yamaha TW200 would be a better choice. The all wheel drive of the Rokon helps in bad stuff, but the TW would be fine in most light-mod mud.

As much as I hate to say it, they really are overpriced for what they are. If the Chinese had a mind to, they could easily build one in the $1500-$2000 range. I would have a hard time telling anyone that they are worth more than about $3500-$4000, even today. You've got a $300 roto tiller engine, a $500 frame, $500-$1000 worth of gearboxes, and the rest is about $700-$1000 worth of stuff (seat/brakes/tires/wheels/etc).

What you get on a TW200, for $3750-$4000, is better in every way, but you don't get the 4wd.

The Rokon is a simple, go-anywhere, reliable machine, but the price, which is comparable to a nice ATV, and even approaching that of some UTV's, has just about gotten ridiculous. It's almost akin to spending $400 for a break open H&R shotgun, when you can get a Browning BPS for $499.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I agree the TW is todays rokon , great little bike for single track areas .

In my youth I always wondered how the front wheel drive worked , never saw anything more than a small picture in outdoor magazines .
Pretty simple and easy to see with the www.
The price of the ''PREPPER'' model is crazy !

Posted by Bristoe
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had one for 20 years. Had lots of issues as it came, and the owner of Rokon was a total ass to deal with. Figured I could get to where the 4-wheelers couldn't, which to some extent is true, but overall, a waste of money. After I bought a 4-wheeler, the Rokon very, very, rarely is used. New price now is close to what I paid for my Grizzly 550. No question which one is the better choice, value and quality. Bottom line, they're a tiny-niche vehichle for use in unusual conditions, compared to a 4-wheeler, and don't have anywhere near the utility of a 4-wheeler 99% of the time. Now, if another company would come out with one for around 4K, they'd be worth taking a close look at.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had three of them and there is a Rokon thread running right now down in the ATV section. They are pretty crude compared to a four wheeler and I can't disagree with anything that fburgtx has already written. Mine always attracts attention if I park it somewhere on the trailer. I've had lots of rear wheel knobby tired dirt bikes and a buddy with one of those TW200 Yamaha bikes and there is no way that any of them will go where a Rokon can when the going gets tough.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These Russian Taurus 2x2s always intrigued me. $1700 USD in Russia. Would sell pretty good if they could get them here and not be marked up too much.

http://www.moto2x2.com/en/

Last edited by Ptarmigan; 11/25/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
I've had three of them and there is a Rokon thread running right now down in the ATV section. They are pretty crude compared to a four wheeler and I can't disagree with anything that fburgtx has already written. Mine always attracts attention if I park it somewhere on the trailer. I've had lots of rear wheel knobby tired dirt bikes and a buddy with one of those TW200 Yamaha bikes and there is no way that any of them will go where a Rokon can when the going gets tough.
When the TW200 comes up against a big rock or log, it stops and if you goose it, the back wheel will either spin or you do a wheely. The Rokon's front tire will just climb over it and keep going.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[Linked Image]

Nice ride!

GOA
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
These Russian Taurus 2x2s always intrigued me. $1700 USD in Russia. Would sell pretty good if they could get them here and not be marked up too much.

http://www.moto2x2.com/en/

Wow

Posted by Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (007FJ, 16gage, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 3,011 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,349
Posts18,487,864
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.