Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
BobinNH's post was good to read.

Aside from those reasons there is "on the largest NA game" There is no reason to use some foreign stuff on 'merican animals....grin....

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bob was one of the saner looneys and always a gentleman, RIP.

One thing about the often quoted Scandinavian study is hunting methods and conditions are very different there. For one thing you have to be able to shoot to get a license including a simulated running moose target. A number of hunts are for control work where the shooting of yearlings is encouraged over a mature moose. In Norway Moose are frequently hunted with dogs and the Elkhunds bay the moose for a stationary shot usually at close range. JB and others who have hunted there can corroborate this.

Will the 6.5 take larger game, yes and has done so repeatedly. Does a larger caliber provide a better safety margin, yes in my book no question. Moose are not hard to kill but are massive and the bones can be four times the size of a white tails. Sheldon took all 29 species of NA game with the 6.5x54 and others have too. But I would prefer the 06 for all species and the 375 would make me even happier on any dangerious game and bigger deer and antelope.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just so apprreciated this particular jem of insight and realism (I just meant to tag it, but guess it posted also) . He was a gift. I really liked him.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358wsm
I just so apprreciated this particular jem of insight and realism (I just meant to tag it, but guess it posted also) . He was a gift. I really liked him.

I agree. Spoke on the phone with Bob many times. His knowledge and advice was very much appreciated. Bob was a true gentlemen and class all the way. RIP My friend

Mike

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
6.5X55 is a great cartridge. However, would you really feel completely secure with 160 grain bullet or 140 grain as is most commonly sold for the swede on Afognak Island in brush where you have 20 yards of visibility hunting Brown Bears.

Its not that its something that you couldn't do. It is more what would you do to feel comfortable. 200 grain Swift A-frames or 200 grain partitions aren't huge but they do give a greater measure of confidence when it comes to Brown Bears. Woodleigh has a 250 grain cup and core bullet that really might rock the house and even if it would only be chugging along at about 2250fps then I would be happier.

However, my 458 with 500 Grain Barnes tsx bullets would really make me feel better in the underbrush, alders and devil's club.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable hunting brown bear under these circumstances with a bazooka.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST
I'm just playing devil's advocate, here. I just think it's funny how times change.

In the early to middle part of the 20th century, the 7x57 was considered one of the best ELEPHANT cartridges, and in 1935 Teddy Roosevelt stopped a charging RHINO a few feet from him with the most powerful handgun in the world... the .357 magnum!

So we lose a half a millimeter in diameter and 2 millimeters of powder capacity off the venerable 7x57, and its "critters under 400" only; and the .357 is marginal for deer!

No, I wouldn't go after bb's with my Swede! Just playing devil's advocate!

Not so. Karamojo Bell used the 7mm for shooting elephants. However, the elephants were a lot easier to approach then and if a wounded one got away, he didn't care much. Nobody else used the 7mm for elephants except in a pinch and even Bell preferred his .318. He wrote that in later years the elephants had changed and he would not recommend small bores then.

the .357 Magnum was introduced long after Teddy Roosevelt was dead.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 67 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,698
Posts18,513,676
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.