Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
Mule Deer, yes there is a wide adjustment range of the 36mm tube across the Victory line but based on your own interpretation, there is no benefit to that inside a 1-8 close range scope and I'm sure that Zeiss would choose a much smaller tube size for this scope specifically if there was no benefit to 36mm tube over one-inch tube other than the elevation adjustment benefits.

Additionally, again with all due respect, you were the one trying to convince me and others that it is not easier to "get behind" larger tube in comparable size scopes so I would suggest to stop adding wood to this campfire because your own credibility is being diminished.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If tube outside diameter made a difference then it would be demonstrable. I compared a 34mm VX-6, a 30mm 6500, and a 1" z5 for low light performance. All three went down at the same time. Outside diameter doesn't make any difference.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want to thank Mr Shaky. For those of us who want to learn, he is providing some incredible teaching moments.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Let's summarize the vast forum knowledge and provide an answer for the original poster.

Assuming that we are comparing the same size 1" and 30mm scopes made by the same manufacturer using the same quality optics, same magnification, same eye relief, same objective size etc.

Glass Clarity
By using identical optics, there is no benefit to larger diameter scopes

Light Transmission
Light transmission is always identical as long you maintain the same exit pupil and 30mm, 34mm, 36mm or any larger tube will not transmit more light through the scope.

Weight
Obviously, the smaller diameter one-inch scope should provide weight savings and you would be foolish to carry anything heavier around.

Target Acquisition / Getting Behind Scope
While I disagree, the forum agrees that one-inch scope will be as fast and easy to get behind as any larger tube. MuleDeer can explain and we all agree that one-inch Loopy 6x fixed scope is the easiest scope to get behind ever produced.

Exit Pupil Size
This one is the kicker. As long you maintain the proper pupil size, you will be able to shoot wild hogs under very limited moonlight or even in complete darkness and there is no benefit to larger tube scopes and it is all about exit pupil size.

Elevation/Windage Adjustments
Larger diameter tubes may (not always) provide more elevation/windage adjuments and we all agree that this is the only reason why one should consider larger scopes. That being said, even a one-inch scope can get you very far and you should only consider anything larger than one-inch scope if you are planning on shooting way past 1000 yards. It has been done with one-inch scopes and even with iron sights, so don't waste your time/money on bigger scopes.

Durability
Some members were arguing that larger diameter tube may provide an increased durability but we all know that even one-inch scopes can be made very durable so I would say there is no benefit to larger tubes.

Summary
Other than the extreme elevation/windage adjustments for long range shooting, the only reason why manufacturers make larger diameter scopes is because that is what consumer demands(@smokepole) and any benefits to larger glass is a myth and marketing scam produced by an advertising agency back int he 90's (@Mule Deer).

Clearly, only long-range shooters should consider a scope with a tube larger than one-inch and anyone else owning anything bigger is a fool that fell for a marketing scam.

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/27/17.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Your summary is BS. You've twisted the meaning of what others have said, and you still cling to the belief that it's the tube size by itself that governs.

Summary: Either you know better and you're being a douchebag, or you don't know better but keep on anyway and you're an idiot.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Naw, he's just another Internet troll.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That's funny. I'm an internet troll huh?

I have at least provided a response to the original poster that has been challenged by you and some others. While you have challenged my opinion/response, you have not even responded to the OP and provided zero value to this topic other than your "advertising agency myth" quote and the BS that light transmission is based on the exit pupil size non-sense.

So who is an internet troll here huh?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you really have done nothing other than convince everyone that your either a moron or a troll.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Most of us here on the forums had this figured out in second grade and we didn't even know it. No matter what diameter magnifying glass we used we were able to adjust the distance from the ant to focus the suns rays into a concentrated beam to cook 'm. You could put that same beam of light through a cardboard tube 1", 2" or if you were burning German ants, 30mm diameter. It didn't matter, you could still get all that light focused on those little boogers and not burn the tube, or your hands if you were careful. Amazing.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That's funny. I'm an internet troll huh?

I have at least provided a response to the original poster that has been challenged by you and some others. While you have challenged my opinion/response, you have not even responded to the OP and provided zero value to this topic other than your "advertising agency myth" quote and the BS that light transmission is based on the exit pupil size non-sense.

Say again where that lost light goes in a 1" tube?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
or maybe the sockpuppet of someone else here that knows better.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You seem to be deliberately ignoring the post about calculated vs measured exit pupil size showing whether or not the light passing through the scope is being affected by the tube size.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the BS that light transmission is based on the exit pupil size non-sense.

Calling the exit pupil scientific FACT "non-sense" (hint: one word (nonsense) STUPID), clearly puts you in clearly the IDIOT or TROLL category...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a hunch we are going to see some doubling down shortly.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI
the BS that light transmission is based on the exit pupil size non-sense.

Calling the exit pupil scientific FACT "non-sense" (hint: one word (nonsense) STUPID), clearly puts you in clearly the IDIOT or TROLL category...

Another internet classic.

When you run out of valid facts/arguments, always switch to name calling insults or call in the Grammar Nazi police.

Now go buy more of those small penis enlargement pills that you have been using unsuccessfully for so long because clearly, you are still suffering from the small-dicka syndrome you were born with.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/28/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shaky, you really need to quit while our behind.....way behind.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

When you run out of valid facts/arguments,

We'll have to add reading comprehension to the rest of your resume. Exit pupil as it refers to light transmission IS a FACT....STUPID...

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Shaky, you really need to quit while our behind.....way behind.

Hey, I was done with this thread until personal insults start coming my way.

We can argue and disagree about stuff, but I'm never the first one calling names or insulting others. You should talk to those losers that are doing that.

That being said, if you want to call me names or insult me in any way I have the right to respond to those insults.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by jorgeI

When you run out of valid facts/arguments,

We'll have to add reading comprehension to the rest of your resume. Exit pupil as it refers to light transmission IS a FACT....STUPID...

So here you have it @JGRaider.

Another small dick syndrome loser calling names for no reason. Hey, it is not my fault that there is so many guys with tiny dicks on this forum. Maybe there is a pattern?

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/28/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have a hunch we are going to see some doubling down shortly.

LOL, prescient!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,170
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.