Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm really leaning towards ordering one of these Big Bore 3x, but thinking of trying the German #4 reticle.
I have many Leups with Heavy Duplex, normal Duplex, and even one with Post & Duplex. Their 'reticle charts' are not real representative of what you'll actually see when looking down the tube it seems...

Does anyone have a 3x with German #4 that could take a picture looking down the tube?

I posted this comparison many years ago showing a few of the Leup reticles I had. I know seeing pics greatly helps, but I'd like to see pics of a German #4 in a 3x Big Bore.....
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ticle-retro-fitted-to-a-vx3-#Post4168169

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/29/17.
GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd like to see that, too. The 3X Leupold with a heavy duplex is one of my favorites. A look-see of the #4 would help in the next 3X purchase.
Bob

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the post and duplex, I like the old Redfield post and crosshair scope

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I like the P&D as well, but I notice it is not listed any longer on the Leup website.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was in the same position and gave up along time ago. The only thing "close" is their german #1. I have it on a 2x7 ultralight.
I do have a 3x with regular duplex laying around, never did anything with it.
I think a german #1 on 3x might be too "thick"
good luck

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I also have a German No. 1 on a 1.5-5 VariX III. I like it better than the Leupold version of the No. 4 but it isn't great in low light and dark backgrounds. The No. 4 was too thick in the crosshairs for me. I was comparing it to a Kahles which I liked a lot.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Can you take a pic of your German #1 in the 1.5-5x? I have several of those 1.5-5's with Heavy Duplex which I really like.
I'd like to see a #1 as well!
So if the Leup German #4 is thick in the crosshairs, that may be ok with me.
I could roll the dice and order one without seeing it first, but a picture or two sure would help....

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/29/17.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
I like the P&D as well, but I notice it is not listed any longer on the Leup website.

I looked at the Leupold reticles and the #1 is also missing. I emailed them asking if the custom shop has dropped them?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one of the recent 3x with some sort of very heavy German reticle....not sure which.

It works but is way thicker than needed.....especially the horizontals......block out
running critters i.e. wolves.......much rather have the old post/picket reticle but not offered any longer.

Having said that, I had no problem of making a near 400 yard shot on a cripple bull moose with 9.3x62.

I just don't see a need to clutter up a hunting scope with all that Christmas Tree trimming!

I still have two scopes that I had Precision Reticle install posts......my favorite big game reticle...
Precision Reticle is long gone.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I contacted the Leup custom shop, the 3X Big Bore can be ordered with the Post & Duplex reticle!
....I think I may go that route.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have the FX-II 3x in both #4 and P&D. I'll try to get some pictures up tonight.

Last edited by whitebread; 11/30/17.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Fantastic! THANK YOU!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
#4 left, Post & Duplex right.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This kind of informative post with pics Is what this forum needs more of

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wow, fantastic thank you!
Which do you prefer? Those German posts are pretty thick! I might like that.
From trying to take pics of reticles before, it seems the reticles are a bit thinner in pics than they seem in real life.
Do you have a Leup heavy duplex that you could capture with the same camera for comparison?
I thought seeing pics would make my decision easier, I was wrong...

Last edited by BlackFrog; 11/30/17.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I normally hunt with German made optics in the #4, #8, and one #7 reticle. The subtensions of the wide portions are generally between 1.5 and 1.7 mils and the thin portions between 0.15 and 0.17 mils (depending if its S&B or Zeiss). I can’t find the subtensions for the Leupold scope and the Custom Shop referred me to a generic picture on their website with no dimensions, saying that is the only thing available. The German #4 is much, much heavier than what I was expecting for a “#4” and reminds me of what Trijicon calls a #4. Despite it being different than I expected, it is decent for woods hunting, which is what I bought it for. I like it well enough that I would have bought a second one, but when I ordered again they weren’t offering the German #4 due to a “parts shortage.” The P&D was much thinner than I was expecting and to my eyes it resembles a Duplex and I was hoping for a Heavy Duplex look. I haven’t used the P&D yet because it doesn’t suit my needs for the application I purchased it for, but I’ll likely put it on a general purpose rifle one of these days.

Last edited by whitebread; 12/01/17.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks again-
I have the Heavy Duplex in many 1.5-5x and fixed 4x Leups, and regular Duplex and Post & Duplex in 2.5-8's. So I'm not sure if it is a fair comparison but the P&D heavy legs are thicker than the normal Duplex, but not as heavy as the Heavy Duplex with what I have to compare. I believe reticle specs are different depending on what model of scope.

Do you agree that the pictures of reticles looking down the tube like you showed seem a bit thinner in pics vs real life too your eye?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I got a reply from Leupold about the availability of the #1 and the post & duplex reticles from the custom shop.

Here's the reply: To the best of my knowledge, they are still available. It would depend on which scope. Give them a call at 1-800-Leupold to discuss the particulars.

It used to be you could get a straight and definite answer from Leupold techs and the custom shop. I guess Leupold is going to go by the way of Reminton.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
Do you agree that the pictures of reticles looking down the tube like you showed seem a bit thinner in pics vs real life too your eye?

To my eyes, the size is consistent with the pictures.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Great, good to know. #4 looks thick, glad that is representative of what you see.
On my pictures in the other thread, it may have been the camera used and how it focuses, but the reticles seemed a bit thinner and less bold in those pics compared to actually looking through the scope with your eye.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 5 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.