-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've wanted to add a Pre-64 Model 70 to my collection for a while now but am not a knowledgeable collector of the rifles.
I'm looking at a model 70 built in 1942 and chambered in 300H&H. It's been drilled and tapped for a scope mount but looks to otherwise be all original. I'd rate the rifle between 90-95 percent condition, worn bluing on bolt nob and especially on the floor plate but otherwise strong, no cracks in the stock and nice factory checkering but numerous small scratches and dent in the wood from handling. What would you more knowledgeable fans and collectors consider to be a fair price range?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1500-2000 if it’s the original finish

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the information. I thought that it was a 1942 model but apparently it was made in 1947 would that significantly affect value?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I think $1500 would be a fair price from what you've described.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's was made in 47, it was drilled and tapped at the factory.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Per Rule pp. 132-133, “the H&H magnum actions were not drilled at first. Due to the enlarged loading port, these actions could not be adapted to existing telescope bases, so were not drilled on a routine basis until Nov. 28, 1950”.

Personally, I could never get past the extra holes and would pass on the gun. Ymmv....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mittenman
Thanks for the information. I thought that it was a 1942 model but apparently it was made in 1947 would that significantly affect value?

Yes, pre-wars are more valuable, especially in a magnum chambering.

Last edited by ismith; 11/29/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good catch, Pocono!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mittenman
I've wanted to add a Pre-64 Model 70 to my collection for a while now but am not a knowledgeable collector of the rifles.
I'm looking at a model 70 built in 1942 and chambered in 300H&H. It's been drilled and tapped for a scope mount but looks to otherwise be all original. I'd rate the rifle between 90-95 percent condition, worn bluing on bolt nob and especially on the floor plate but otherwise strong, no cracks in the stock and nice factory checkering but numerous small scratches and dent in the wood from handling. What would you more knowledgeable fans and collectors consider to be a fair price range?

My first question is, are you looking for a collector grade rifle or a "shooter"??? Keep in mind, that rifle will NOT have a recoil pad as well. I'm wondering exactly how "original" the rifle in question is? Obviously the rear bridge of the receiver has been drilled and tapped. Even If it was done properly/professionally, it would take away from the value of the rifle. However, it would add to its usefulness (if you are looking for a shooter). My next question: Is it a true H&H magnum action??? Yes, you can build an H&H chambered rifle on a standard rifle action: I've seen it done. However, That grossly reduces the value of the rifle. In the description above, I'm having a hard time believing the rifle is "90-95 percent condition". I'd also keep in mind the rifle is considered a "transition" rifle and I'd expect to see that style of safety on it as well... I hate to say this, but I for one, need a little more description on this rifle to be sure of it's exact condition. No way to place a value on the rifle, based on the ops description..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a $1,000 rifle.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
As always, BSA has added some excellent points. The drilled receiver is a value killer, with some variation on how much, depending on how and where it was drilled. Expertly drilled in the rear bridge is completely different than butchered for a side-mount.

We buy and sell hundreds of pre-64 rifles every year through our business. While BSA likes to (correctly) point out that we buy at wholesale, I do get a pretty good sense of retail pricing on everything from $400 parts rifles to impeccable $25,000 collector rifles.

For a complete and good condition "shooter" rifle in 300 H&H magnum, prices start around $900-$1000. If the rifle is nicely restored so it looks fantastic, but is not original (and therefore has lost its collector appeal), prices are likely more in the $1400-$1800 range. A neatly drilled rear bridge probably knocks $200-$300 off of the value compared to an unmodified rifle. Drilled for a side-mount could knock $300-$500 off of the value. A aftermarket recoil pad will knock another $200-$300 off of the value. Obviously, as these detractors begin to accumulate, their cumulative affect on value adds up to less than the sum of their individual impact. But suffice to say, a non-collector .300 H&H standard rifle can vary in value by nearly $1000, depending on condition and modifications.

Based on the description given in the OP, Pal probably is pretty close to a fair retail value. The rifle has noteworthy bluing wear, handling wear on the stock, and a modified receiver, which would put it at the low end of shooter value. If it has a good bore and no mechanical issues (i.e. it's a good shooter), it is probably worth in the neighborhood of $900-$1200.

Good luck, but don't overpay!

Justin

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all of the replies. I've been in talks with the owner and finally got the year straight based on serial number it's defenitly a 1957 model not 42' or 47' so the scope holes are original. The owner is an elderly man that bought it years ago and doesn't know a lot about it. I'm looking for a fair price for both of us. I'm unable to post pictures on this site. Would it be possible for me to email a few pictures of the rifle to one of you? The owner believes the bluing to be original but to me it seems to close to new compared to the stock and old scope which both show more signs of wear. Having said that the bluing looks original to me but I'm not expearenced in identifying original from unoriginal and am going off pictures.

Last edited by Mittenman; 12/02/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd be glad to take a look.

You can email me at justinpre64win.com.

If I get a chance, and if you wish, I will repost the photos here for others.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win
As always, BSA has added some excellent points. The drilled receiver is a value killer, with some variation on how much, depending on how and where it was drilled. Expertly drilled in the rear bridge is completely different than butchered for a side-mount.

We buy and sell hundreds of pre-64 rifles every year through our business. While BSA likes to (correctly) point out that we buy at wholesale, I do get a pretty good sense of retail pricing on everything from $400 parts rifles to impeccable $25,000 collector rifles.

For a complete and good condition "shooter" rifle in 300 H&H magnum, prices start around $900-$1000. If the rifle is nicely restored so it looks fantastic, but is not original (and therefore has lost its collector appeal), prices are likely more in the $1400-$1800 range. A neatly drilled rear bridge probably knocks $200-$300 off of the value compared to an unmodified rifle. Drilled for a side-mount could knock $300-$500 off of the value. A aftermarket recoil pad will knock another $200-$300 off of the value. Obviously, as these detractors begin to accumulate, their cumulative affect on value adds up to less than the sum of their individual impact. But suffice to say, a non-collector .300 H&H standard rifle can vary in value by nearly $1000, depending on condition and modifications.

Based on the description given in the OP, Pal probably is pretty close to a fair retail value. The rifle has noteworthy bluing wear, handling wear on the stock, and a modified receiver, which would put it at the low end of shooter value. If it has a good bore and no mechanical issues (i.e. it's a good shooter), it is probably worth in the neighborhood of $900-$1200.

Good luck, but don't overpay!

Justin

As with a lot of guys on this forum, I always enjoy reading Justin's posts. I was damn happy when you joined this place. You add a ton of insight, from both a collectors prospective and also from a buyers/sellers standpoint... This kind of info is extremely valuable...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks to Justin and everyone else that helped me up come with a price for the rifle.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks BSA.

For what it's worth, Mittenman sent me photos of the rifle and it is actually pretty nice. A great rifle to take out and shoot. Some honest wear, but no abuse, and no evident modifications. A Balavar scope setup with external adjustment (a good scope, but not much value). I'd be more than happy to use it as-is. A really good looking mid-grade shooter that's been left mostly original (looks like a vintage boiled linseed oil finish on the stock). Definitely not a the bottom of the value scale.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (264mag, 219 Wasp, 2five7, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 33 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,827
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.