Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
jcolby Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yep, midway actually has a pretty good selection. Also found these on ebay, $20 and $25, they look decent, thinking I may go that route.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jared
GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Poconojack
In one of my pockets....

Same here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Count me in the plastic Federal thingy group.

Dale

This space for rent

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
https://imgur.com/sXYU3Fd
https://imgur.com/1vBfpcy
How I carry my cartridges, and how I carry my Savage ( sometimes!)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks nice, but I actually just put 1 in the chamber and 4 in the rotor and leave leather at home. laugh

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KeithNyst; 11/30/17.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tried a buttstock holder like that back in mMy youth. After 5 rounds lost somewhere in the grass, decided to find another solution. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
Count me in the plastic Federal thingy group.

Dale

I have 5 to put in the gun and then I cut one of those plastic things in half that hold 10 rounds and it fits nicely in your pocket. Then you have your spares handy but they ain't janglin around scarin all the deer.
Sounds like a couple of other of you guys has figured that out as well.

grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used to carry ammo when I was young. With age comes wisdom, and tired legs.. Began to notice if I only carried 6, I always came home with 6 or 5. Never saw a need to bring more'n 6.

Last edited by RAM; 12/02/17.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I know a guy who had to beat a Dall sheep to death with a rock. He sure wished he had one more round.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I carry mine in my deer, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One up, two or three down, inside the gun. Another three or four loose in my pocket. I once tried those silly slip on butt stock carriers and didn't like the way a full one threw off the balance of the rifle. Plus it is kind of awkward to retrieve cartridges from one- it's really no harder/time consuming to just dive into the pocket and grab one. As for a belt wallet- again it's just as easy (and faster if it has a cover fastened over the ammo) to dive into a pocket. I view all such contrivances as an affectation at best and a hindrance at worst. Using a holder of any kind inside a pocket is a double whammy- more often than not such things require two hands to manipulate. Keeps ammo from rattling/clinking you say? Is that really, really a problem I say.

The best solution ever devised by mankind for carrying a quick reload in one's pocket is a stripper clip holding five cartridges, for Mausers and Springfields (including Model 1920's by the way). Whenever I carry a Springfield or Mauser sporter that is exactly how I carry my spares. (Obviously doesn't work with a scope on the gun, but who resorts to that?) I often wished Arthur had incorporated a stripper clip system for reloading, in the M1899.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
One up, two or three down, inside the gun. Another three or four loose in my pocket. I once tried those silly slip on butt stock carriers and didn't like the way a full one threw off the balance of the rifle. Plus it is kind of awkward to retrieve cartridges from one- it's really no harder/time consuming to just dive into the pocket and grab one. As for a belt wallet- again it's just as easy (and faster if it has a cover fastened over the ammo) to dive into a pocket. I view all such contrivances as an affectation at best and a hindrance at worst. Using a holder of any kind inside a pocket is a double whammy- more often than not such things require two hands to manipulate. Keeps ammo from rattling/clinking you say? Is that really, really a problem I say.

The best solution ever devised by mankind for carrying a quick reload in one's pocket is a stripper clip holding five cartridges, for Mausers and Springfields (including Model 1920's by the way). Whenever I carry a Springfield or Mauser sporter that is exactly how I carry my spares. (Obviously doesn't work with a scope on the gun, but who resorts to that?) I often wished Arthur had incorporated a stripper clip system for reloading, in the M1899.

This is why I like you so well. ^^^^^^^^

LOL
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW ! Tolt, that one was from way back in the memory banks!

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I often wished Arthur had incorporated a stripper clip system for reloading, in the M1899.

Not until the 1920's came out

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
In my pocket, can carry a dozen easy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenster99
https://imgur.com/sXYU3Fd
https://imgur.com/1vBfpcy
How I carry my cartridges, and how I carry my Savage ( sometimes!)

You're a riot looking for a place to happen. grin BTW, I got your 9mm stuff all boxed and should go out tomorrow.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

Yeah, with all the "crap" we strap on to go hunting nowadays, the pocket is by far the least problem of anywhere. Jeezus, do you guys ever watch hunting videos and laugh your ass off at those clowns with 600 pounds of sheit strapped on? GMAFB, it's ridiculous. Give me a PBJ sammich and a wool coat and I'm gunna go kill some sheit!

LOL
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by hanco

Yeah, with all the "crap" we strap on to go hunting nowadays, the pocket is by far the least problem of anywhere. Jeezus, do you guys ever watch hunting videos and laugh your ass off at those clowns with 600 pounds of sheit strapped on? GMAFB, it's ridiculous. Give me a PBJ sammich and a wool coat and I'm gunna go kill some sheit!

+1 here too. I probably look like I'm not even trying sometimes. The older I get the more ridiculous more gear sounds, it just adds weight. Shoot it, gut it, drag it. Any more gear for those tasks is a waste.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sometimes carry extra rounds in a pants pocket, but have fumbled before trying to dig them out. Sorting through my pocket knife, chapstick and the magnum condoms that I always have in my pocket can be troublesome when I am in a hurry and have freezing hands.

I keep extra rounds in a bullet wallet strapped to the outside of my pack. With long, mag rounds the velcro barely closes and I have lost a couple rounds before due to it coming open, but normal rounds have always stayed secure and easy to get to, especially since 99% of the time my pack is either on me or next to me when I shoot. I also sometimes keep it on my belt, which usually works unless I am wondering around with my pants off. Sometimes I drink too much OK?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=T_Inman Sometimes I drink too much OK?[/quote]

I'm down with that.

LOL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.