Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey, long time lurker, first time poster - at least in this forum.

The son of a friend of mine wants to carry a Glock .45 (unsure of model except it's the full size double stack) somewhat unobtrusively while he is backpacking the Idaho back country. He carries a full size cargo pack with large waist belt and so far any shoulder holster or belt holster he tried gets in the way of the pack straps. He had rigged up some kind of strap arrangement on the pack strap for a modified high crossdraw carry but one day he slipped and fell on muddy terrain and hadn't gone on too much further before realizing his pistol had fallen out.

Seems a good drop leg holster might work, that's what comes up a lot on google searches but I don't think he wants to get all tactical about it. He just needs to carry it securely and while not totally concealed at least not look like he's headed off to a combat zone.

I figured to post here and see what you guys use or might be able to suggest.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hill people gear kit bag. If he's not going to carry anything else with it I recommend the Runners Kit Bag as it is a little slimmer.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks - I've passed these suggestions on to my friend.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kit bag for the win. It took me a while to come around but when I finally got one I was instantly sold. It is useful for so much more than backpacking. It has become my favorite piece of gear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll vote for the full sized kit bag. I can carry a 1911, some survival gear, and all the lures I need for fishing with room to spare. It isn't nearly as bulky as you would think.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am interested in this as well, but the kit bag wont work for 2 reasons....first, i carry in grizz country and this doesnt seem to quick to deploy without fumbling with a zipper. Secondly, that is where my binoc harness goes that has my rangefinder, wind powder, etc. I need something for the belt.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
To answer #1, if you leave the top corner of the pistol compartment unzipped for an inch or two, its designed to rip open easily without having to unzip, and it works. Second, it has multiple compartments and can accommodate a pistol and binoculars. The other benefit of a chest pack is, when you take your backpack off, you still have your pistol with you; not so with anything that attaches to the pack belt. If that doesn't work, go for the Safepacker. Very unobtrusive.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^this. It is very fast with a small amount of practice. Binos may be harder to solve unless you use a smaller pair.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have the "heavy recon" kit bag, and can get 10X42 ultravids and rangefinder in the front compartment along with a few smaller items.

Can carry a 4" 629 or a 329PD in the other side, although with all that crap, the cylinder isn't terribly comfortable on the sternum. An auto fixes that problem.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use an Uncle Mikes fanny pack for my Glock 36 in .45 ACP. It carries above and rests on top of the waist strap on my backpack. Works well for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This conversation has been discussed on just about every hunting forum out there. And everybody has their ideal setup. I am looking for something that I can carry my mountain guns in and also be able to use my S4 Gear with my Swarovski 12x50 binos. My pack waist strap do not allow me to use a belt holster and I have looked at chest holsters which is the direction I really want to go, but without buying one and trying it out I don't know if real world experience will show that it works.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
Kit bag for the win. It took me a while to come around but when I finally got one I was instantly sold. It is useful for so much more than backpacking. It has become my favorite piece of gear.

I couldn't agree more...

I use/carry mine all the time. Hiking, fishing, biking, anything outdoors. Very comfortable and practical. Once you get a few miles in it you forget it's there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The HPG bag would be a good choice.

I'm using El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker holsters for a couple of guns ... one for a 4-5/8" Ruger Super Blackhawk and another for the 4" S&W 329PD. Also have a Diamond-D guide holster for my Ruger Bisley .454. All are good. However, I don't think I could use them with a binoc harness so there's a choice to be made.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I am interested in this as well, but the kit bag wont work for 2 reasons....first, i carry in grizz country and this doesnt seem to quick to deploy without fumbling with a zipper. Secondly, that is where my binoc harness goes that has my rangefinder, wind powder, etc. I need something for the belt.

The zipper is a non-issue. You never touch the zipper, just grab the corner and pull.

Can't help on the bino harness.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the same issue, and have nothing but trial, error, and an idea for a fix.

Admittedly, a fix would be easier save for two requirements — must draw from right hip and must use a holster with the Safariland ALS type security design. Why? It’s what I’m used to. It will also keep the AZ horror show brush from ripping the pistol out.

A pistol is worth zero to a backpacker if it can’t be on point RFN. Right—another word—Now. I can do this only with the above gear. I don’t want a chest rig because 99% of the time pack straps, including chest strap, and binocs are already there. Too much clutter.

It sort of works to remove a pack belt buckle and mount the holster there. But it often digs into the upper thigh. So the idea is to sew a nylon strap around the right side of the padded portion of the belt. If that fails, maybe I’ll get a holster for each pack and just sew the damned thing where I want it. Pricey, I know.

It would take so much training to make another mounting system equivalent that I’m just gonna dance with her that brung me.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Some packs allow a few options. My Granite Gear pack has webbing on the outside of the waist belt that is compatible with MOLLE so if you've got a MOLLE holster option, that might work.

What I'd really like to see is a shoulder holster body that attaches to the pack straps via grim-loc or similar connectors so it becomes part of the pack. I haven't found anyone making quite the right rig yet.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by T_O_M
The HPG bag would be a good choice.

I'm using El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker holsters for a couple of guns ... one for a 4-5/8" Ruger Super Blackhawk and another for the 4" S&W 329PD. Also have a Diamond-D guide holster for my Ruger Bisley .454. All are good. However, I don't think I could use them with a binoc harness so there's a choice to be made.

Tom

I wear a harness on my 10-40 Zeiss all the time. PUt my EP Tanker on with the glock 20 in it first, rotate it a bit to the side and put the binoc harness on. Its not perfect but I've been doing it for going on 3 years now, and thats generally speaking a minimum of 15 weekends a year, 2 weeks full in the fall, and a few other trips trailing deer with our dog a year.

I don't want anything that stays on the pack ever again. Just not a good feeling.

FWIW

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Tactical Holster

Blackhawk Tactical Holsters

I don't carry a sidearm when I'm carrying a rifle. But when I return to get the meat, I don't want to carry the rifle but I do want to carry a full size backpack. A tactical holster doesn't get in the way of the hip belt. If a bear is molesting my meat, I can deal with it.

BTW I didn't buy one of these expensive tactical holsters. I made my own out of parts and pieces, straps and buckles, that I had hanging around.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.