Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
One of these for a north big woods gun. Bears, big deer and moose. Pros and cons from those who own/used either.

I like the "no battery" of the Trijicon, and it is a little lighter in weight. But, it costs more. Glass on par with Leupold?

Leupold is a 30mm maintube, Trijicon is the 1" standard. Benefits? Negatives?

Leupold warranty is a given, would hope that service would not be needed with either.

Thoughts?

Last edited by WTM45; 11/29/17.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Originally Posted by WTM45
One of these for a .35 Whelen north big woods gun. Bears, big deer and moose. Pros and cons from those who own/used either.

I like the "no battery" of the Trijicon, and it is a little lighter in weight. But, it costs more. Glass on par with Leupold?

Better Glass

Leupold is a 30mm maintube, Trijicon is the 1" standard. Benefits? Negatives?

Trijicon is more compact and IMHO more robustly built

Leupold warranty is a given, would hope that service would not be needed with either.

The lamp on the Trijicon will have to be replaced , I think I an 8-10 year interval
Dot on Trijicon makes Leupold dot look silly, just great in lowlight

Thoughts?

I have owned/own both scopes

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks Elks!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've the Trijicon on my go to hunting rifle, a 77 mk2 AW in 308. It's been an excellent scope over the years. The optics are quite fine, adjustments track like they should, and the little bright dot helps rather a lot in the woods.

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice! Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned both (still own the Trijicon Accupoint) and both are great. I think I've had 5 or 6 VXR's and 4 Trijicon Accupoint's. The Trijicon has better optics imho but not by much. The colors/contrast are true on the Trijicon and it's brighter. The Trijicon is lighter and tritium is always on (I prefer the green triangle). The Trijicon is also more expensive but it is a better scope I think but not by much. I like them both and would be happy with either. If I have more money in my pocket I get the Trijicon but if money is tight I get the VXR. Both are solid and easy to get behind. The Leupold's eye relief is a little more forgiving but not much. The Trijicon is so quick to get behind with the Tritium always ready. If I were using it for dangerous game or the big critters there is no doubt I would go with the Trijicon. I use them on my big bore guns as my primary go to scope. They are tough scopes that are small and balance extremely well. Good luck!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 257Bobs
I have owned both (still own the Trijicon Accupoint) and both are great. I think I've had 5 or 6 VXR's and 4 Trijicon Accupoint's. The Trijicon has better optics imho but not by much. The colors/contrast are true on the Trijicon and it's brighter. The Trijicon is lighter and tritium is always on (I prefer the green triangle). The Trijicon is also more expensive but it is a better scope I think but not by much. I like them both and would be happy with either. If I have more money in my pocket I get the Trijicon but if money is tight I get the VXR. Both are solid and easy to get behind. The Leupold's eye relief is a little more forgiving but not much. The Trijicon is so quick to get behind with the Tritium always ready. If I were using it for dangerous game or the big critters there is no doubt I would go with the Trijicon. I use them on my big bore guns as my primary go to scope. They are tough scopes that are small and balance extremely well. Good luck!

I've been interested in the 3-9X40 Trijicon as well. I was hoping build quality would be a bit better than Leupold. I'm glad to hear you have been using them on big bore guns. The specs on eye relief at high power have made me question if it would have enough eye relief,especially if shooting prone. You haven't had any issues with eye relief? Have they been on your big bore rifles for a while,at least long enough that you have shot enough rounds to be confident in it holding up to the recoil?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The eye relief is not an issue at all and I'm short (5'6). Guns I've used or currently use them on: 376 Steyr, Steyr 308 scout, 350 Remington Magnum, 35 Whelen, 7mm-08. Great little hunting scopes for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a half dozen Trijicons with zero problems.

Even when tritium loses it's pizazz, the fibre optic keeps the reticle
illuminated unless it's pitch dark.

I've used the 3x-9x with success on night coyotes on snow......works great!

I bought a Trijicon 5x-20X on a close out and the outfit has won bench matches.....
Nothing to not like especially for $700.

For low powered big game scopes, I consider the illuminated triangle on the post/picket
to be my first choice in reticles.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Zero complaints with a VX-R 3-9x40 FireDot Duplex. I have an early one and believe that I have replaced the battery once. Not interested in diamonds for aiming points based on a SWFA 1-4 but haven't used a Trijicon.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Are they Japanese made?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes the Trijicon Accupoint is

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 257Bobs
Yes the Trijicon Accupoint is

Thanks. I haven't even considered Leupold in this thread. Actually forgot we were talking about two scopes until I read how you phrased the answer.LOL

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have 4 Trijicon Accupoints - three are 3-9s, one is a 1-4. Three are amber dot, one of the 3-9s is a green dot. Obviously, I like them. I'll echo what others have said. All have been solid, reliable, scopes for the type of hunting we use them for, ie, not turret twisting in the field.

The other evening we were comparing a 2-12 VX-6, a 2-10 Conquest HD5, a 3.5-10 VX-3i, and three Trijicon 3-9s at about 1 1/2 hrs after sunset for light gathering. Sitting on our deck and focusing on a tree about 100 yds away. This was way past legal shooting hours here, but the illuminated VX-6 was clearly the winner in being able to discern details and picking out the crosshair. The Trijicons all sort of washed out and we would lose the reticle cross hairs. The non-illuminated Zeiss and VX-3i (both standard duplex) were very similar to the Trijicons as far as overall details - and we couldn't really pick out the crosshairs on them either. Again, at night (cloudy at that).

We don't hunt at night, but we have both killed some of our nicer bucks right close to the legal limit - that's just how the older buck behave - at least around here. All seem to have enough light gathering to work very well under legal conditions. The Trijicon is overall a very nice package for how we use scopes.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bludog
I have 4 Trijicon Accupoints - three are 3-9s, one is a 1-4. Three are amber dot, one of the 3-9s is a green dot. Obviously, I like them. I'll echo what others have said. All have been solid, reliable, scopes for the type of hunting we use them for, ie, not turret twisting in the field.

The other evening we were comparing a 2-12 VX-6, a 2-10 Conquest HD5, a 3.5-10 VX-3i, and three Trijicon 3-9s at about 1 1/2 hrs after sunset for light gathering. Sitting on our deck and focusing on a tree about 100 yds away. This was way past legal shooting hours here, but the illuminated VX-6 was clearly the winner in being able to discern details and picking out the crosshair. The Trijicons all sort of washed out and we would lose the reticle cross hairs. The non-illuminated Zeiss and VX-3i (both standard duplex) were very similar to the Trijicons as far as overall details - and we couldn't really pick out the crosshairs on them either. Again, at night (cloudy at that).

We don't hunt at night, but we have both killed some of our nicer bucks right close to the legal limit - that's just how the older buck behave - at least around here. All seem to have enough light gathering to work very well under legal conditions. The Trijicon is overall a very nice package for how we use scopes.

Are you saying that you couldn't even see the tritium in that low light situation? I would understand not being able to see the target image,but I would have thought that you could still see the tritium dot,unless it is dead.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Washed out Tritium bulb? I can take mine out of the house on the darkest night, I might not be able to see the crosshair but that dot is always there. As long as I can see the shape of the animal and have made sure it is legal(Zeiss Victory FL 8x56) and the aiming area I can kill it with my accupoint.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Are they Japanese made?

"The vast majority of Trijicon products, including all ACOG®, RMR®, Reflex, MRO®, Night Sights, SRS®, VCOG®, TARS®, CCAS® and Archery Sights are designed, engineered, machined and assembled at our facility in Wixom, Michigan and are therefore 100% Made in the USA. A few of our products, including AccuPoint®, AccuPower®, and our observation products are assembled here in the USA, but have significant components which are purchased in either Japan or the Czech Republic. All Trijicon products are designed here in Michigan and have the same stringent quality processes applied to them. All of our products are backed by our limited lifetime warranty. Each product is marked according to its origin."

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/support/faq_general.php

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both, Trijicon - and VX-R. It's a half dozen in one, six in the other. I prefer the Trijicon simply for the "no battery" part.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Washed out Tritium bulb? I can take mine out of the house on the darkest night, I might not be able to see the crosshair but that dot is always there. As long as I can see the shape of the animal and have made sure it is legal(Zeiss Victory FL 8x56) and the aiming area I can kill it with my accupoint.

This was with 3 different Accupoints so I guess they could all be washed out. You can see the amber or green dot in most conditions, but neither of us could see the dot or the crosshair that evening as I said.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

This was with 3 different Accupoints so I guess they could all be washed out. You can see the amber or green dot in most conditions, but neither of us could see the dot or the crosshair that evening as I said.

I think they are supposed to last somewhere around 10 years. It seems to me that you could see with the aid of the fiber optic but as soon as there was no light for that you couldn't see the reticle. I would have to assume the tritium wasn't working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

337 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 30 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,362
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.