Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
There is no downside to neck sizing for a bolt gun - especially if you have decided that's not what you believe needs to be done.

Neck sizing, along with flash hole uniforming, primer pocket reaming, neck turning, sorting cases by weight and a few others was born years ago, when competitive shooters were trying to get an edge on their opponents. Case prep was one way to reduce group size. That's because QC for ammunition components wasn't as good as it is today.

I believe that those techniques have a place, but when reloading for a hunting rifle, they aren't usually much help. Hunters cannot take advantage of the tiny gains that case prep offers. I say this because hunters do not always have a stable rest, or shoot at targets of a known distance. They may also be physically fatigued. And components - powders, primers, bullets and cases - are better made than years ago.

If you want to carry out extensive case prep, that's fine. I spent many hours uniforming brass and weighing things in order to build a better load, but personally, I never saw any reason for it in the field.

I buy regular primers, Lapua or Norma cases, powder and bullets. When I use Winchester or Remington cases, I give them a visual check for damage, but do not prep them the way I did years ago. I did not see the benefit when I'm reloading. My case prep consists of making sure the case neck is round. I do this by moving an elliptical expander through the neck far enough to round it out, then remove it. To my mind, extensive prep is a waste of time. I would rather be shooting.

This last thing isn't talked about much in shooting, but confidence and satisfaction with your equipment and ammunition - the psychological part of shooting - is important. Some would argue that confidence is more important than uniformed flash holes or runout in the field. You have to believe that prep will help you in the end. That's part of reloading too.

My long winded response can best be summed up this way: Don't bother doing prep unless you feel it's worth it. Don't think that it is necessary just because a few others are doing it. In other words, don't be shamed or pushed into doing something that you don't see any value in completing.

If you want to experiment down the road, go for it. Otherwise, reloading is a hobby. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

Much of this post is the very reason I neck size. It is the quickest and most efficient way to a loaded hunting round that works that I have found for Me. I don't sort brass, bullets, uniform flashholes, primer pockets, hell, I don't even clean primer pockets and I don't tumble brass. I don't lube cases and I don't have to wipe the lube back off

What I do when reloading is..........
Use good brass usually Norma or Lapua and do a visual inspect
I clean the neck shoulder area with 000 steel wool (A good seal is important)
Run a brush 1 pass on the inside of the neck
Run brass through lee neck die
Prime, powder and seat bullet

Last load with a 140 hornady sp produced around 3.5" at 500 yds
The load before that with 147 eld was good for average groups in the 2" range at 500 yds
3 shot groups typical results with many different cartridges and loads.
I do make sure of a few things such as OCW to eliminate verticle string and I load my ammo straight.

Just about as simple a reload procedure as it gets

Its easy to make it complicated.....but its easier if you make it easy 😁

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 11/30/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
And it's working. I wouldn't change a thing.

The reason some people go on about case prep is because they have their own routines. They read magazines that had articles like "Learn the secrets of handloading from top competitors", "Shoot Tiny Groups!" etc. While the techniques discussed certainly did no harm, they didn't really yield much for the amount of time invested.

Years ago, when benchresters were seen doing strange things to their components, some of the hunting crowd copied them. It's perfectly fine, but it's not for everyone. And not absolutely needed.

You're right. Reloading doesn't have to be complicated. On this site though, you have some folks that enjoy fussing with their loads.

Chacun à son goût - each to his own taste. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers

the action will indeed stretch and cases will indeed be short lived because shoulder setback is indeed necessary to rechamber in the same chamber.

This, I’m afraid, is bollocks. The problems you get with case life in SMLEs and other Lee-Enfields are associated with the fact that they typically have generously-cut chambers and fairly generous headspace specs. They weren’t designed with reloading in mind after all, but performance under all conditions. People also get themselves caught up in the fact that the later No 4 action was designed to have interchangeable bolt heads in various lengths, wrongly believing that these were needed because these actions “stretch” and so you need a longer one every now and again to take up the headspace. This is not in fact why the bolt heads were designed that way. They were instead to save time in manufacturing: rather than needing to fit up each barrel to get the headspace right, you could simply screw in a mass-produced barrel and then draw from a stack of boltheads to get one which will allow the rifle to pass headspace testing. It also had the side benefit that an armourer, in replacing a barrel in the field, could do the same thing. It really had nothing to do with the action “stretching”, ie undergoing some sort of progressive plastic deformation.

Of course, that is not to say that there isn’t some elastic deformation on firing, but that is a rather different thing. Every action, and chamber, and barrel, undergoes some degree of elastic deformation on firing, due to the pressure in the chamber. In the case of a Lee Enfield you will get some degree of compression of the bolt, and some degree of extension of the action rails, as the backthrust from the case head is exerted on the boltface and transferred to the locking lug surfaces. The thing is though that this compression, which is in the thousands of an inch, is fully recovered when the pressure passes. So too is the elastic strain of the case itself. If the case was to end up too long to fit the chamber after firing either you wouldn’t be able to get the bolt open, because it would still be under compression, or you’d have failure of the action or chamber. In practice however, this is of course not what happens, unless something has gone seriously wrong. The case simply has to fit the chamber after firing.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is no downside to neck sizing for a bolt gun - especially if you have decided that's not what you believe needs to be done.

Neck sizing, along with flash hole uniforming, primer pocket reaming, neck turning, sorting cases by weight and a few others was born years ago, when competitive shooters were trying to get an edge on their opponents. Case prep was one way to reduce group size. That's because QC for ammunition components wasn't as good as it is today.

I believe that those techniques have a place, but when reloading for a hunting rifle, they aren't usually much help. Hunters cannot take advantage of the tiny gains that case prep offers. I say this because hunters do not always have a stable rest, or shoot at targets of a known distance. They may also be physically fatigued. And components - powders, primers, bullets and cases - are better made than years ago.

If you want to carry out extensive case prep, that's fine. I spent many hours uniforming brass and weighing things in order to build a better load, but personally, I never saw any reason for it in the field.

I buy regular primers, Lapua or Norma cases, powder and bullets. When I use Winchester or Remington cases, I give them a visual check for damage, but do not prep them the way I did years ago. I did not see the benefit when I'm reloading. My case prep consists of making sure the case neck is round. I do this by moving an elliptical expander through the neck far enough to round it out, then remove it. To my mind, extensive prep is a waste of time. I would rather be shooting.

This last thing isn't talked about much in shooting, but confidence and satisfaction with your equipment and ammunition - the psychological part of shooting - is important. Some would argue that confidence is more important than uniformed flash holes or runout in the field. You have to believe that prep will help you in the end. That's part of reloading too.

My long winded response can best be summed up this way: Don't bother doing prep unless you feel it's worth it. Don't think that it is necessary just because a few others are doing it. In other words, don't be shamed or pushed into doing something that you don't see any value in completing.

If you want to experiment down the road, go for it. Otherwise, reloading is a hobby. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

A good post, and I agree, save that neck sizing wasn't born out of competitive rifle shooting. it has been around since the first reloadable centrefire cases.

I particularly agree with this: "Don't bother doing prep unless you feel it's worth it. Don't think that it is necessary just because a few others are doing it. In other words, don't be shamed or pushed into doing something that you don't see any value in completing" and would add: consider why you are doing each step, and what effect it may have, and don't be afraid to test the stuff you hear or read, because some may be helpful, but some may also be a waste of time, or untrue.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Here's where all of this "bumping shoulders back, etc" loses on me, and admittedly I'm no expert. I will attempt to ask a question if my feeble brain can translate things to my fingers.....

Given you have a proven load, and given you have fireformed brass, and given you use neck sizing dies (Lee specifically). If when you fire that round and eject it normally, how is it that you guys find a reloaded round with that exact same piece of brass, difficult to chamber? It comes out of the chamber normally, it should go right back in normally, right? I've obviously never had any issues.

Well, my best explanation of "bumping shoulders" is to bring the headspace nearly back to its "original" distance. If the shoulder on a fired case expands, lets say, .004", your chamber may accept a reloaded case to be bumped back .002" - not the original SAMMI specs. My experience shows that some chambers will not accept a "fire formed" case that hasn't been bumped back. In a field situation you want the round to chamber easily. An exercise I've done is to get a fired headspace number and write it down. Start with a full length sizer so as to only contact about 1/2 of the neck length. Test that cartridge in the chamber. If it needs a little oomph to chamber, I'll screw the sizer down 1/5 turn and
try it again. This will continue until I get easy chambering. Measure it and routinely you will discover you've bumped back the neck to near pre-shot headspace.

Don't forget to test for the fateful head separation with a bent paper clip. Some case configurations need more attention than others, I would say.

Others may explain it differently.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/30/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CJC73
I'm relatively new to reloading and have only used FL sizing dies but as I read more and more, it sounds like I only need to neck size. Is this preferred for brass life and accuracy? Do you get better accuracy from only neck sizing since the brass is formed to that chamber?

I only have one rifle per caliber so the brass is only shot from one rifle.

Should I start getting neck sizing dies and not use the FL dies? All of my die sets are FL right now

Also, I have a 25-270wsm that I shoot. Once the brass if FL sized from 270wsm and shot from the rifle, I can neck size then, correct? Would this require a custom neck sizing die? or would any 25 cal neck sizing die work?

Thanks all!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/factors_in_accuracy_two.html

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz

the action will indeed stretch and cases will indeed be short lived because shoulder setback is indeed necessary to rechamber in the same chamber.

This, I’m afraid, is bollocks...They were instead to save time in manufacturing: rather than needing to fit up each barrel to get the headspace right, you could simply screw in a mass-produced barrel and then draw from a stack of boltheads to get one which will allow the rifle to pass headspace testing. It also had the side benefit that an armourer, in replacing a barrel in the field, could do the same thing...

The Lee Enfield has been misunderstood and stories told about it for years. In 40 odd years around small arms, I do not know of a single instance where a bolt head was replaced in the field. Depot level maintenance pers would have replaced them. It would have happened, in Canada at least, as the result of a major inspection.

The bolt head stories started, I believe, when surplus stocks were purchased and shipped to their new civilian owners. Bolts were not kept with the rifle, when in transport. They were shipped in separate containers. When they reached their new civilian owners - a large warehouse or shop - bolts were mismatched, and I've no doubt that the odd rifle had headspace issues. But that was simply because, upon reassembly, no one thought to match them up. They were unaware of the military practice and just started sliding bolts into rifles without checking.

A good post, and I agree, save that neck sizing wasn't born out of competitive rifle shooting. it has been around since the first reloadable centrefire cases.''

WRT the tricks that competitive shooters employed to gain an advantage over others, those techniques became popular in the hunting world because of magazines. It spawned a whole new accessories industry.

A few gun writers of the day would pen an article about tightening up loads. That was before the Internet, when news traveled slower. In North America, we waited for a monthly magazine for the news. Years ago, it was reasonable for shooters to think that following those procedures would result in vastly improved groups. Of course, few people understood the differences between a factory rifle and a custom made, competition one. And few found much of an improvement using the techniques that competitive shooters routinely employed.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most likely Mule Deer is monitoring this thread and will soon chime in to set the record straight.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by LJB

Simply, not true. Each time a cartridge case is fired, it loses some elasticity.

No, that is not the case. It doesn't "lose elasticity". Cold working doesn't have that effect. What does occur with cold working is a rise in yield stress and hardness, and a reduction in ductility. The Modulus of Elasticity (Young's Modulus) is unaffected, but the increase in YS actually extends the elastic range..

What in fact typically happens when the case is first fired is that it expands elastically, obeying Hooke's law, until the stress is enough (in the area forward of the case web) to exceed the yield stress. You get some plastic deformation, filling the case out to seal against the chamber walls during the pressure peak. As the pressure reduces the elastic component of the strain is recovered, and the case reduces in size accordingly, leaving a clearance between it and the chamber walls.

Now, if you only neck size, the next time the case is fired it expands elastically until it meets the chamber walls. There's no room for any plastic deformation, and after firing the elastic strain is again recovered. No more cold working is taking place, other than in the case neck itself (as a result of neck sizing). Each time you fire it you'll get the same elastic recovery, the same as you'll get the same elastic recovery of a spring (provided you don't over stress it) over and over again.

If instead you FL resize to minimum, then on the next firing there is again both elastic strain (which is recovered) and plastic strain, the latter leading to strain hardening (work hardening) of the case body in the area ahead of the web, and more plastic deformation and of course work hardening when you size it back down again, and the more you do this the more work hardening you'll get.

Originally Posted by LJB
Eventually, after several firings/loadings neck sizing only, it WILL become difficult to chamber even in the best made guns on the planet.

Once again,if this is occurring it is likely to be a product either of a case which is bulged or otherwise made unsymmetrical by reason of the way it was fireformed, or as a result of something you've done in the reloading process. A case which is evenly fireformed, and which has nothing done to it, will always fit into the chamber it came from, and will have clearance arising from elastic recovery. I don't just base that on theory either, as I said: I have batches of brass which has been fired 30 or more times without full-length sizing, in a range of case types and in a range of firearm types. The point is that if you are having difficulty chambering your loaded rounds after your reloading process, it might be worth considering why that is happening, rather than simply saying "because it loses elasticity" or some such nonsense.

Hooke's Law? Had to look that one up: f=Kx. Elasticity is NOT the same as ductility, YS, WH, etal. I get it. Thanks for clearing it up.

However, the context of my post was with respect to easy (not to be confused with "won't") to chamber/eject full power hand-loads for safe, reliable field use. My assumption being, this is where many of us operate. It's been my experience, operating in this space brass needs to be resized periodically to chamber/extract easily. That said, I don't "hot rod" my loads looking for velocities above well established norms. Quite the opposite, my loads are constructed to work in the field and would be considered slow by many.

Your example assumes/asserts no plastic deformation of the cartridge case wall during the firing process. Is this valid for all brass cartridges operating at max pressures (time and temp too) in the 60-65 kpsi range? Dunno, but doubt it.

If primer pockets stay tight for 10 or so loadings, and the case shoulder gets bumped back periodically, all is good.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by LJB

the context of my post was with respect to easy (not to be confused with "won't") to chamber/eject full power hand-loads for safe, reliable field use. My assumption being, this is where many of us operate.

My assumption too. FWIW I am primarily a hunter, at least nowadays. While I have done a fair bit of slow-fire competition, most of my competition shooting over recent years has been in competitions where complete reliability of feeding and function of ammunition is paramount, and these include rapid-fire stages and rapid reloads.

The point I’ve made is that if you are having issues with chambering rounds after you’ve reloaded them, look to the cause. It isn’t happening because they somehow got too big to fit in the chamber as a result of firing: unless something has gone very seriously wrong they come out of that chamber not only able to fit right back in but with clearance, due to the recovery of the elastic portion of the strain they've undergone.

I’ve already canvassed the likely causes of them not going back in, and it is up to you whether you accept that or not, but as I said I only neck size, I never “bump shoulders back” and yet my loads chamber easily and reliably, even after the brass has been reloaded repeatedly many times. I wouldn’t do what I do if they didn’t.

Originally Posted by LJB
Your example assumes/asserts no plastic deformation of the cartridge case wall during the firing process. Is this valid for all brass cartridges operating at max pressures (time and temp too) in the 60-65 kpsi range? Dunno, but doubt it.

Actually that is not what I assumed or asserted. I don’t know whether yours was a deliberate attempt to play the straw man, but I’ll pretend for a moment that it was an accident.

What I said was in fact more or less the opposite. On the first firing of a case typically the case does undergo plastic deformation, unless your chamber is a very close fit to the case. Typically it expands to meet the chamber walls in the area forward of the case web, and while the elastic portion of that strain is recovered the plastic strain is of course permanent. That leaves the case “filled out” if you like, to the shape of the chamber, with a bit of clearance as a result of the recovery of the elastic strain.

If the case is fireformed, and only neck-sized with no other change, then the next time you fire it, the degree of strain it can undergo (ie expansion), in this part of the case forward of the web, other than in the neck, is limited to the same strain as had been recovered elastically the last time the case was fired. That is because it expands elastically, but it then meets the chamber walls, which support it of course and prevent further plastic strain, other than in that part of the neck which had been sized.

Now I did use the word “typically”, and I referred to that part of the case forward of the web, because it is in this thinner section that the significant plastic strain occurs on the first firing, and because it is this part of the case which is relevant to the question of neck sizing vs FL sizing.

While not really relevant to the question of neck sizing vs FL, the web area can also undergo a degree of plastic strain, though typically it is very small, and much less than that typically seen in the area forward of the web on fireforming. A significant degree of plastic strain in the area near the case head area may be indicative of a problem or potential problem: either you are pushing the pressures (or you have brass too soft or thin in the web/head area for the application), which may show up as primer pockets becoming loose; you have a case heading down the road to head separation, which you’ll usually pick up as necking at about the junction between web and case wall; or of course something really bad has happened and you have a failure. If this part of the case is unsupported (as it is in many firearms) expansion due to high pressure and/or soft/thin case head may progress, rendering the case unusable. It is hard to see how this has anything to do with the difference between neck sizing and FL sizing though.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

This, I’m afraid, is bollocks...They were instead to save time in manufacturing: rather than needing to fit up each barrel to get the headspace right, you could simply screw in a mass-produced barrel and then draw from a stack of boltheads to get one which will allow the rifle to pass headspace testing. It also had the side benefit that an armourer, in replacing a barrel in the field, could do the same thing...

The Lee Enfield has been misunderstood and stories told about it for years. In 40 odd years around small arms, I do not know of a single instance where a bolt head was replaced in the field. Depot level maintenance pers would have replaced them. It would have happened, in Canada at least, as the result of a major inspection.

The bolt head stories started, I believe, when surplus stocks were purchased and shipped to their new civilian owners. Bolts were not kept with the rifle, when in transport. They were shipped in separate containers. When they reached their new civilian owners - a large warehouse or shop - bolts were mismatched, and I've no doubt that the odd rifle had headspace issues. But that was simply because, upon reassembly, no one thought to match them up. They were unaware of the military practice and just started sliding bolts into rifles without checking.

A good post, and I agree, save that neck sizing wasn't born out of competitive rifle shooting. it has been around since the first reloadable centrefire cases.''

WRT the tricks that competitive shooters employed to gain an advantage over others, those techniques became popular in the hunting world because of magazines. It spawned a whole new accessories industry.

A few gun writers of the day would pen an article about tightening up loads. That was before the Internet, when news traveled slower. In North America, we waited for a monthly magazine for the news. Years ago, it was reasonable for shooters to think that following those procedures would result in vastly improved groups. Of course, few people understood the differences between a factory rifle and a custom made, competition one. And few found much of an improvement using the techniques that competitive shooters routinely employed.

Yes, I think that a lot of what people think they know, and often what people repeat, is based on something they heard or read once. Some of it may of course be true, but some of it may not, or may not be applicable to your own fact situation. Misunderstood, half-remembered stories, or even flat out lies, can become widely circulated as fact. There's any number of things I've heard and read which have turned out not to be true. I remember taking a semester on the philosophy of science, years ago, which went into some detail about this, and the extent to which it pervades all sorts of fields including science itself.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is true. Often, they repeat what they've read because they want to sound knowledgeable. Some is even made up, on the fly.

Having worked on Lee Enfields as part of my job, I know that headspace was only checked at depot level (third line). First line maintenance had gauges, but they were rarely used. The armourers on 1st line were too busy fixing sights, stocks and quick fixing minor damage. The rest of the time was spent working ranges or performing minor repairs to other firearms.

When I started going to university, I was still working as an other ranks technician and brought that with me. Uni gave me an understanding of why the officers I was working around sounded so foolish. Most were young and could not speak the words, "I don't know." BS flowed out of them like water from the Trevi Fountain. Years later, I would say the only thing worse than the armament officer nosing around was having two of them nosing around.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by LJB

the context of my post was with respect to easy (not to be confused with "won't") to chamber/eject full power hand-loads for safe, reliable field use. My assumption being, this is where many of us operate.

My assumption too. FWIW I am primarily a hunter, at least nowadays. While I have done a fair bit of slow-fire competition, most of my competition shooting over recent years has been in competitions where complete reliability of feeding and function of ammunition is paramount, and these include rapid-fire stages and rapid reloads.

The point I’ve made is that if you are having issues with chambering rounds after you’ve reloaded them, look to the cause. It isn’t happening because they somehow got to big to fit in the chamber as a result of firing: unless something has gone very seriously wrong they come out of that chamber not only able to fit right back in but with clearance, due to the recovery of the elastic portion of the strain they've undergone.

I’ve already canvassed the likely causes of them not going back in, and it is up to you whether you accept that or not, but as I said I only neck size, I never “bump shoulders back” and yet my loads chamber easily and reliably, even after the brass has been reloaded repeatedly many times. I wouldn’t do what I do if they didn’t.

Originally Posted by LJB

Actually that is not what I assumed or asserted. I don’t know whether yours was a deliberate attempt to play the straw man, but I’ll pretend for a moment that it was an accident.

What I said was in fact more or less the opposite. On the first firing of a case typically the case does undergo plastic deformation, unless your chamber is a very close fit to the case. Typically it expands to meet the chamber walls in the area forward of the case web, and while the elastic portion of that strain is recovered the plastic strain is of course permanent. That leaves the case “filled out” if you like, to the shape of the chamber, with a bit of clearance as a result of the recovery of the elastic strain.

If the case is fireformed, and only neck-sized with no other change, then the next time you fire it, the degree of strain it can undergo (ie expansion), in this part of the case forward of the web, other than in the neck, is limited to the same strain as had been recovered elastically the last time the case was fired. That is because it expands elastically, but it then meets the chamber walls, which support it of course and prevent further plastic strain, other than in that part of the neck which had been sized.

Now I did use the word “typically”, and refer to that part of the case forward of the web, because it is in this thinner section that the significant plastic strain occurs on the first firing, and because it is this part of the case which is relevant to the question of neck sizing vs FL sizing.

While not really relevant to the question of neck sizing vs FL, the web area can also undergo a degree of plastic strain, though typically it is very small, and much less than that typically seen in the area forward of the web on fireforming. A significant degree of plastic strain in the area near the case head area may be indicative of a problem or potential problem: either you are pushing the pressures (or you have brass too soft or thin in the web/head area for the application), which may show up as primer pockets becoming loose; you have a case heading down the road to head separation, which you’ll usually pick up as necking at about the junction between web and case wall; or of course something really bad has happened and you have a failure. If this part of the case is unsupported (as it is in many firearms) expansion due to high pressure and/or soft/thin case head may progress, rendering the case unusable. It is hard to see how this has anything to do with the difference between neck sizing and FL sizing though.

Are you saying that a piece of brass that is only neck sized will never need the shoulder bumped regardless of the number of firings?...............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Your question is easily answered, take the piece of brass you just extracted and carefully rechamber it.
If it chambers and extracts with little effort you know that your resizing process is the problem.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Lee also sells just sells the collet die alone.........

or in a 2 pc set w/seater.........good stuff.......

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011198814/lee-collet-neck-sizer-die

Lee will also make you a custom neck sizing die to meet your rifle's chamber for a reasonable price. This is helpful if you want to load for a caliber other than their standard sizes.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This last thing isn't talked about much in shooting, but confidence and satisfaction with your equipment and ammunition - the psychological part of shooting - is important.

This whole thread has been useful and informative to me, and among things learned and appreciated, the line above stood out. I've been reloading since 1976, purely for hunting. That's when I first heard of MOA and mostly by dumb luck, developed a œ MOA load for my 30-06 using neck sizing only. It did not kill big game any better than a nearly 2 inch MOA load I hunted with for one season many years later --- BUT I SHOOT BETTER ON GAME DUE TO CONFIDENCE IN A SUB-MOA LOAD AND RIFLE.

It may not affect anyone else as it does me but there is no question that I shoot significantly better when I KNOW that the rifle will put that bullet exactly where I aim it. It influences my mind more than any one inch variation of group size warrants – but it is real.

So I reload. I do minimal steps, some learned here, with a goal of sub-MOA custom cartridges that feed easy and work without fail in the field.

Call it reloading for the mind. laugh

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/02/17. Reason: clarity
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What happens when you fire a cold piece of brass in a hot chamber. Likewise what happens if your hunting and your chamber is at zero° and you pull a warm round out of your pocket and try to chamber it and headspace is at an absolute minimum. Likewise just because it will chamber I've found accuracy to decrease sometimes rather noticeably when the round has zero room to settle into the chamber. Just because it will chamber doesn't mean setting the shoulder back will not reap benefits.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In my experience, and I have some cases that I've fired well over 20 times in bolt guns, if I anneal about every 5 firings, I can get away with using a Lee collet sizer only, and never have to worry about bumping back the shoulder to allow cases to easily go into the chamber upon bolt closing. Before I began to anneal, it was common to have to bump the shoulder back eventually on cases that were fired at high-pressure, like the WSM, or 243, or 270. So I believe that what occurs is that the brass on and near the shoulder gets work-hardened during repeated firings (case stretch under high pressure) and won't "give" under the force of the bolt closing. Annealing the neck and shoulder and a small ways down the case (maybe 20% of the case body) solves this problem. Since I began annealing, I've lost ONE case to head separation, and it was a leftover from the days of bumping the shoulder during sizing. I don't even keep track of the number of firings my cases have now, just a rough estimate of the last anneal per box, and when they start to feel stiff upon neck-size or bullet-seat, I know it is time for annealing again. I rarely find the need to trim anymore either, except on cases with a bit of taper that I lean on pressure-wise, like 223 that I run in the low 60's in bolt guns, and 243 that run up to the mid-60's.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Lee will also make you a custom neck sizing die to meet your rifle's chamber for a reasonable price. This is helpful if you want to load for a caliber other than their standard sizes.

That's what I did for my 6x45mms and 30-303. You just send them a resized case. I believe Hornady started doing that as well, but they will not take an international order. US only. I wanted to try their special order stuff because I like the floating sleeve they use in their seating dies. I think they are concerned with shipping cases through the mail across a border.

Originally Posted by Okanagan

This last thing isn't talked about much in shooting, but confidence and satisfaction with your equipment and ammunition - the psychological part of shooting - is important.

This whole thread has been useful and informative to me, and among things learned and appreciated, the line above stood out. I've been reloading since 1976, purely for hunting. That's when I first heard of MOA and mostly by dumb luck, developed a œ MOA load for my 30-06 using neck sizing only. It did not kill big game any better than a nearly 2 inch MOA load I hunted with for one season many years later --- BUT I SHOOT BETTER ON GAME DUE TO CONFIDENCE IN A SUB-MOA LOAD AND RIFLE

It may not affect anyone else as it does me but there is no question that I shoot significantly better when I KNOW that the rifle will put that bullet exactly where I aim it. It influences my mind more than any one inch variation of group size warrants – but it is real.

So I reload. I do minimal steps, some learned here, with a goal of sub-MOA custom cartridges that feed easy and work without fail in the field.

Call it reloading for the mind. laugh

Thanks.I wish that I could say it was my idea, but when I taught shooting, confidence building was considered more important than the physical act of pulling the trigger. As an old military instructor told me, "Any jerk can jerk a trigger!" You have to be confident when you pick up a rifle, all the way through. It's along the lines of the Little Engine that Could.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
What happens when you fire a cold piece of brass in a hot chamber. Likewise what happens if your hunting and your chamber is at zero° and you pull a warm round out of your pocket and try to chamber it and headspace is at an absolute minimum. Likewise just because it will chamber I've found accuracy to decrease sometimes rather noticeably when the round has zero room to settle into the chamber. Just because it will chamber doesn't mean setting the shoulder back will not reap benefits.

Trystan

Me too. In a particular .308 where zero headspace opens groups.

0.0015" headspace (shoulder setback) brings this rifle back to a 1/4 minute gun. F-TR rifle.

GOA
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.