Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
More and more, hunting is portrayed as being socially unacceptable as well.

Kids can't really go to school and brag about the buck they got last weekend like they used to. At least without facing the peer consequences.

My brother is a lawyer in Austin. He owns his own firm.

We talked about that. His kids hunt and kill deer and hogs. But, they won't talk about it. They sure don't post about it on any sort of social media.

It's almost like it's a "dirty little secret" now. frown

Thankfully it's not like that here. My kid couldn't wait to go to school and tell everybody about his caribou this fall.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I didn't see another hunter all this week either. Restless hunters wandering the woods help take the deer out of their nocturnal routine where I hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd
Season ended yesterday here.
Thankful for it, too; tired of seeing road hunters from surrounding states. It's maddening witnessing how lazy some are.

Overall it was a quiet season here, literally,..... very few gun shots heard compared to most years. The oft-rainy, windy weather was likely good for the survival of the deer.

Same here too. Very few shots heard when I was out, which was quite a bit. The roads got used heavily though.

Even though hunting is still very acceptable here to the general public, I don't think as many young people hunt anymore. Oh, they will claim they hunt, but its mostly a road adventure that starts at 10 AM and being back well before dark. I work with a bunch of young guys and very few of them really hunt.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Rifle deer season just ended... no shots the last few days. Very few hunters all season. We live right out in the middle of the deer woods and last year and this year have shown a dramatic decrease in hunters. I spent quite a bit of time in my blind this year and the deer were never spooked like they used to get in early season.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's gotta be tough to get some folks going when deer seasons are only 2 weeks long, factor in Thanksgiving during that 2 weeks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1st Day of Rifle has always been a national holiday here, heck they used to close all the schools 1st Monday after Thanksgiving. Times have changed, I heard 4 shots on first day...within a couple miles I'd guess. I passed 4 legal buck and 5 doe first day...and have seen many more since.

In 2B season is far too long, hi-powers thru January...then Muzzle loader and late archery. The herd seems to survive it, mainly due to lower hunter numbers...of course the deer ticks are thriving, make sure to check yourself carefully.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah Steelie, and Bow season eats into the guys that rifle deer hunt.. it's six weeks long before rifle

Back when, archery season was longbows and recurves. Compounds and crossbows are now legal and can make anyone lethal.

Lots of reason for the decline in rifle season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PA hunter are down considerably. I'm hearing estimates of 550,000 deer hunters out last Monday. That's half what it was when I started hunting. The northern tier has been the hardest hit. More and more, guys are staying home. I shot my buck upstate on Monday but now I'm home trying to get a good Doe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
PA hunter are down considerably. I'm hearing estimates of 550,000 deer hunters out last Monday. That's half what it was when I started hunting. The northern tier has been the hardest hit. More and more, guys are staying home. I shot my buck upstate on Monday but now I'm home trying to get a good Doe.

The buck are back running does now, so stay ready smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At one time there was 1.1 million hunters in PA, 550K seems about right. Here in the center of the state most of the land is open to hunters. I told my friend that Monday was the least number of shots I ever heard on opening day. The average age is probably the oldest it has ever been. Camps are empty up here.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Diesel, I’m just closing up camp here in north/western PA. I’ve been here for two weeks and just built one last fire.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kingston
Diesel, I’m just closing up camp here in north/western PA. I’ve been here for two weeks and just built one last fire.

Does a guy a lot of good. I remember when it was time to go home and squeezing every little bit out of camp, Thankfully I live up here full time now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No good place to hunt. Georgia is covered up with deer, but there are 2 options. Hunt public land which mostly mountains with very little deer habitat or pay a fortune to join a hunt club. Years ago it was easy enough to get permission from land owners. Pulpwood land was open to anyone who wanted to come, but now they lease it. I still see a lot of shooters. Our local range has a lot of people who come and shoot. But there are far fewer hunters.

And most of them are crowded onto the leases where they drive their ATV directly to their stand placed in front of a feeder. The public land is empty. The Cohutta Wilderness Area in N central GA is a 95,000 acre WMA in some of the steepest, most rugged country in GA. I started hunting there in the late 70's and there would be 2000 hunters sign in for a week long hunt. The place was full of big bucks real wild hogs, not domestic hogs gone feral, and black bear. Today a deer there is a rare sight, but it is one of the best places in GA for hog or bear. Today when i go there there may be 200 hunters sign in and most all of them are in their 50's-70's. There are 3 brothers well into their 70's I see every year that backpack 4-5 miles into the same area where I hunt. I've taken younger hunters there several times. None have wanted to go back.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMR40
No good place to hunt. Georgia is covered up with deer, but there are 2 options. Hunt public land which mostly mountains with very little deer habitat or pay a fortune to join a hunt club. Years ago it was easy enough to get permission from land owners. Pulpwood land was open to anyone who wanted to come, but now they lease it. I still see a lot of shooters. Our local range has a lot of people who come and shoot. But there are far fewer hunters.

And most of them are crowded onto the leases where they drive their ATV directly to their stand placed in front of a feeder. The public land is empty. The Cohutta Wilderness Area in N central GA is a 95,000 acre WMA in some of the steepest, most rugged country in GA. I started hunting there in the late 70's and there would be 2000 hunters sign in for a week long hunt. The place was full of big bucks real wild hogs, not domestic hogs gone feral, and black bear. Today a deer there is a rare sight, but it is one of the best places in GA for hog or bear. Today when i go there there may be 200 hunters sign in and most all of them are in their 50's-70's. There are 3 brothers well into their 70's I see every year that backpack 4-5 miles into the same area where I hunt. I've taken younger hunters there several times. None have wanted to go back.

Good post.

LOL
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I read about that place last year, very interesting:

http://www.gon.com/hunting/big-mountain-bucks

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Today is the next to last day of the Indiana firearms season, I hunted all morning and didn't hear a single shot. I hunted northern Indiana opening day and out of 15 hunters in camp only two deer were taken, granted it rained all day but the deer were still moving.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
More and more, hunting is portrayed as being socially unacceptable as well.

Kids can't really go to school and brag about the buck they got last weekend like they used to. At least without facing the peer consequences.

My brother is a lawyer in Austin. He owns his own firm.

We talked about that. His kids hunt and kill deer and hogs. But, they won't talk about it. They sure don't post about it on any sort of social media.

It's almost like it's a "dirty little secret" now. frown

Not around here. Hell, the newspaper has pics of kids with deer in it every week and turkey in the spring.

And that's the way it should be!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I read about that place last year, very interesting:

http://www.gon.com/hunting/big-mountain-bucks

Good read on hunting mountain bucks.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Kids would rather sit on their ass texting.

+1

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
DIL is math teacher at high school in a little rural district about 35 miles north of me. It's still talked about there. Matter of fact, students ask her if shes got her buck yet!

As for mentoring, Im still doing it. Latest was a young man over here to my shop week before last with rifle his grand dad had given him. We went over it. Showed him how to make a chamber casting. He'll be back with more questions and things to work on. Then there's always the grandkids!!! They like time in the woods with gramps!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.