Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by postoak
Dan_Oz - so you admit that there can be a problem with regular neck sizing dies possibly pulling the shoulder forward.

It isn’t a matter of admitting anything, it is what I have said from the start:

Originally Posted by dan_oz

The only two likely ways I can see why a case you fired in a chamber won't go back in again easily are either you did something to it which altered its dimensions, in the reloading process, or the chamber was loose or out of round, so the case is no longer symmetrical, and won't fit back in unless oriented the same way as it was when fired. I've only seen evidence for the second one in very loose chambers. I suspect that more often than not it is a result of the sizing method, and that the need to push the shoulder back every now and again is because you were inadvertently pushing it forward due to your reloading process, such as by the effect of partial sizing or by dragging from an expander.

That seems to me a good reason why I might have had a problem EXCEPT I was using the Lee collet die on the 300 WM.

Well in that case I’d be looking for another cause. I haven’t experienced that problem with Lee Collet dies, and can’t see how it would occur as a result of using them, but there may have been some other issue at play. There are several possibilities I can think of, and I have little doubt there are others I haven’t thought of too.

Anyway, I am going to stick with PFL -- it works.

And if it works for you, then stay with it. As I’ve said, I have simply outlined what works for me, and why.

You obviously know a lot about metallurgy but gun writers have been talking about cases losing elasticity for as long as I can remember, so please excuse us for repeating things that so-called experts have written.

As I said earlier:

... a lot of what people think they know, and often what people repeat, is based on something they heard or read once. Some of it may of course be true, but some of it may not, or may not be applicable to your own fact situation. Misunderstood, half-remembered stories, or even flat out lies, can become widely circulated as fact. There's any number of things I've heard and read which have turned out not to be true.

Regardless of whether it is reduced elasticity or ductility or something else, do cases become less likely to snap back into position after repeated firings?

Elasticity and ductility are two different things, and I think that confusing the two is part of the problem people have with this stuff.

[Linked Image]

Perhaps I can illustrate it with the above, which is a sort of simplified example of what happens as we apply stress to a metal like cartridge brass. I have taken the diagram from Wikipedia, which actually has a pretty good and simple explanation of this.

What you have in the area between 1 and 2 is elastic behaviour. The strain (ie deformation of the material) is proportional to the applied stress, obeying Hooke’s law. The gradient of the slope is a the modulus of elasticity, aka Young’s modulus, a measure of stiffness. If you release the stress before reaching point 2, the piece will return to its original dimensions. That is elastic behaviour. If there’s no stress raisers or defects you could do this over and over again, and the result will be the same. The item does not “lose elasticity”. That fact is what makes springs work.

Now if instead you continue to apply stress past point 2, the metal starts to undergo permanent (plastic) deformation. In the case of brass this is typically fairly obvious when you are testing it. You reach what is usually called the “yield stress” or “proportional limit”: stress is no longer proportional to strain. If you take it up to point 3, then release the stress, it will recover the elastic portion of the deformation, returning down the dotted orange line shown.

As you can see, this line is parallel to the line from 1 to 2. This means that modulus of elasticity is the same. This is called “elastic recovery. In other words, the elastic part of the defomation is fully recovered, and the permanent deformation is only that part left over, that part attributable to the strain incurred past the yield. and if you take that piece and stress it again to a level less than 3, it will still recover down that dotted orange line, over and over. You’ll also note now that you can stress it to a higher level than you could originally, without it yielding. That is because of the work hardening it has undergone.

Does that help?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Then I'm glad to know we will never have to anneal the necks of our brass again.........

You are still going to have to anneal case necks, even with neck sizing only. Of course the more cold working you do the more often you'll need to do it. Go back to my first post in this thread, and you'll see I mentioned it. Perhaps you missed that?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

JF,

Each time our brass is worked--in a die or in the chamber of our firearms--it loses a certain amount of it's ability to springback. That's elasticity as it applies to our brass.

It doesn't matter how often you say it, it is still arrant nonsense.

Essentially oz is suggesting we will never have to do anything but neck size brass regardless if we shoot it a bazillion times. I'm not aware of anybody demonstrating that, and given handloaders willingness to tinker it should have been demonstrated a long time ago--if it was true.

What is a "bazillion"?

I stopped counting after about 30-odd loading cycles on a number of batches of brass, which had only ever been neck sized, never full length. Eventually you'll probably lose cases in the field, or leave it too long before annealing and split them, or have primer pockets get a bit big from pushing pressures or simply from wear (i have had pistol brass that went so many cycles that the headstamps became hard to read, and the primer pockets on some of those were pretty loose in the end).

As for people demonstrating this a long time ago, there in fact have been such demonstrations, since long before either of us was born. Reloading has been around since the first reloadable cases, not long after centrefire designs came out, and if you look at old reloading gear it is, more often than not, designed only to neck size. Any number of tong tools and straightline tools and Lee kits and our own Simplex presses here are witness to the fact that neck sizing was the norm.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is epic. Giants of the industry.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

[Linked Image]

Perhaps I can illustrate it with the above, which is a sort of simplified example of what happens as we apply stress to a metal like cartridge brass. I have taken the diagram from Wikipedia, which actually has a pretty good and simple explanation of this.

What you have in the area between 1 and 2 is elastic behaviour. The strain (ie deformation of the material) is proportional to the applied stress, obeying Hooke’s law. The gradient of the slope is a the modulus of elasticity, aka Young’s modulus, a measure of stiffness. If you release the stress before reaching point 2, the piece will return to its original dimensions. That is elastic behaviour. If there’s no stress raisers or defects you could do this over and over again, and the result will be the same. The item does not “lose elasticity”. That fact is what makes springs work.

Now if instead you continue to apply stress past point 2, the metal starts to undergo permanent (plastic) deformation. In the case of brass this is typically fairly obvious when you are testing it. You reach what is usually called the “yield stress” or “proportional limit”: stress is no longer proportional to strain. If you take it up to point 3, then release the stress, it will recover the elastic portion of the deformation, returning down the dotted line shown.

As you can see, this line is parallel to the line from 1 to 2. This is called “elastic recovery. In other words, the elastic part of the defomation is fully recovered, and the permanent deformation is only that part left over, that part attributable to the strain incurred past the yield. and if you take that piece and stress it again to a level less than 3, it will still recover down that dotted line, over and over. You’ll also note now that you can stress it to a higher level than you could originally, without it yielding. That is because of the work hardening it has undergone.

Does that help?

No one said there'd be math. grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I think what Dan is saying (without looking at that graph) is that if you don't load too hot then you need never do anything but neck size. Perhaps he said that many pages previous.

JGRaider - (BTW, I deer hunted this season with a fellow who says he knows you, named Buzz). I am not claiming that collet neck sizing dies pull the shoulder forward. I'm just claiming that I couldn't rechamber some brass after neck sizing and that PFL sizing fixed it so that I could.

Last edited by postoak; 12/04/17.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think what Dan is saying (without looking at that graph) is that if you don't load too hot then you need never do anything but neck size. Perhaps he said that many pages previous.

And still trim when needed, I assume?

BTW, for the most part this has been one of the best threads in quite a while.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RevMike

And still trim when needed, I assume?

BTW, for the most part this has been one of the best threads in quite a while.

RM

And anneal cases!

Huntnshoot basically made the same statement without an explanation as Dan Oz was trying to explain . He necksizes annealing every 4 times or so and never has to push the shoulder back.

My thoughts were that the annealing process is allowing the case to then spring back after it is fired creating a bit more room that you otherwise run out of before the annealing process?!?!

I don't know but after annealing my next batch of brass I'm going to skip pushing the shoulder back and see what happens 😀

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/04/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,473
Posts18,529,410
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.