Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Few years back I hunted in a strange spot I hadn’t had time to scout. Sat down before dark, and when it got light, I found a bett spot about 30 yards away. Stood up, pissed and moved. 40 minutes later, a big spike came in and sniffed the wet spot, and promptly received a load of 00 buck. Doesn’t seem to bug them.

Old70

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I gotta pee about every two hours. When nature calls, I answer

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
. . . He got hit by my "stream" and jumped . I jumped because I had zero idea he was there! He ran out about 20 yards and stood there....I was scrambling for my gun, with my tallywackle hanging out, managing to shoot him as he was trotting away. I was kneeling at the time off the edge of the stand and took a moment to process what I had just done. Tucked It back in, zipped up, climbed down to get my buck.

Dang! I do like it when a plan comes together.

The first deer I killed was in a herd that I spooked while draining it. I almost got trampled. You were lucky. You were up a tree.

BTW: Guys, in case you're interested in putting a relief tube in your blind, let me show you mine:

[Linked Image]

There are more pics here:
Hunting Funnels

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My biggest fear about shooting a big buck while peeing is getting it caught in the zipper.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My biggest fear about shooting a big buck while peeing is getting it caught in the zipper.

I worry about stepping on it! 😜

IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
" . . . and how that buck got into my zipper, I'll never understand."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by basdjs
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I worry about stepping on it! 😜

Once, I had a buck trip over mine.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've had similar experiences with deer showing up at inopportune moments. The urine smell did not seem to scare the deer I saw nearly as much as me tryin' to get things back into battery to take a shot.

I recall an article in Outdoor Life or some such publication discussing this very topic. I can't remember what their conclusion was.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've not sen where human urine- at least fairly fresh urine, alerts an animal.

Once had a young bull moose come right in and stand for several minutes looking around under a 30' high tree stand shortly after I peed. I suspect he came to the sound, but it could have been incidental. Made no reaction to the scent that I could see, then moved off about 50 yards to spend over an hour scraping velvet from his antlers.

Also once watched a cow a half mile up the meadow cross my trail, then follow it, nose down, right in under my stand, then stand there with a puzzled look on her face, wondering where I'd gone, I guess. Her head was maybe 6 feet under my boots.

As a teen, hunting with buddies and having to cross fences, we learned to keep one guy always "on guard" until everyone was across Birds and deer always seemed to always flush right when someone was crotched on the barbed wire. smile.

That was pretty understandable, tho. Nervous nellies......

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I peed all day long today. My buddy killed a deer.....

No, he was not in the stand with me....

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I pissed off the top of my stand last Saturday 5 minutes later I was looking Right when out of the corner of my eye a small buck came out of laurels in front of me. I was absolutely still . he came over to where I pissed smelt it then starts going around my stand with is tail up piss in and [bleep] then walks back down into laurels. Think he was 1 of the smallest 4 pointers I have seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pissing does not alert deer to my experience. I have had them come lick the drips off the stand rungs. (It all breaks down to the same basics) but crap in the woods, and you had best bury it. They can tell you eat meat, and most deer seem to know they are meat.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always carry a water bottle to squirt on the leaves to mimic the sound of falling acorns just in case I don’t have to pee, and an acorn muncher- that sounds like deer eating acorns. Way better than than ratttling. Way better.

I had a call for a while that I would work in conjunction with a grunt call that sounded like deer humping on fallen acorns- like when they’re thick like ball bearings- but that call was freaking dangerous- you were in self defense mode after a couple call sequences

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/04/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to be cautious about peeing at my blind,but after peeing in an active scrape and a buck came along a couple hours later and refreshed the scrape,I have never feared peeing while hunting again.Just watch you back...........

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by shaman
Look, I know I've got a reputation. With the headdress and rattle, and all you know it's coming. Just bear with me for a moment.

Did you ever notice how deer always seem to show up when you're answering nature's call? #1? #2? I went through a five year period early on, where I'd cop a squat in in the woods and a big buck would show up. Over the years, I've had some crazy encounters with deer when my zipper was open or my pants were down. I always figured deer were curious like small children. They want to see how adults get the job done.

About 10 years ago, I invited SuperCore out to hunt. He's one of my old bosses, and a good friend, and SuperCore wanted to learn how to hunt deer and turkey. As an accomodation to SuperCore, who is several years older than me, I installed relief tubes in all the blinds, and the upstairs bathroom. It's just a funnel held onto a garden hose with a clamp. The hose runs out into the grass. From the that time on, we did not have to leave the blind to pay the rent on the coffee.

That left the treestands. I, like many bowhunters, used to do the thing with packing my urine out. Either that, or I'd get down from the stand and walk some ways away. Along about 2006 that changed. #3 son, Angus, was just getting in the stand with me, and getting the child up and down the ladder was just too much work. I let him take a whiz off the stand. Bingo! five deer showed up. They didn't all run over to the puddle. They just came and browsed acorns by the stand. However, I noticed how unaffected they were by what Angus had just done.

That stimulated some curiosity in my head. Pretty soon, I was experimenting with letting fly off the stand. More times than not, deer made an appearance. It was so marked, that I began to mention it on the Deer & Deer Hunting Forum. I even suggested, just before the forum went toes-up, that folks try bringing a squeeze bottle of water out and give an ersatz whiz off the stand to see if it might be just the sound that attracts them. We would compare that against the results of the actual whizzers. My hypothesis was that the act of #1 from a height might mimick the sound of acorns falling.
D&DH became defunct, and I never got a chance to really explore this avenue. However, let me give you this year's observations:

1) On the Muzzleloader Opener, I had a doe come right up to the stand stare at me (more like stared right through me) and spend a considerable amount of time within 5 yards of the stand on my downwind side. This was within a few minutes of my second whizz off the stand.

2) Rifle Season: on my first morning sit at my new tower blind at Hollywood. A herd of deer came out into the field and one doe came directly towards the stand on my downwind side. I was still zipping up from relieving myself.

3) On my first morning sit at Midway during Rifle Season, I used the relief tube early in the 8 o'clock hour. Just before 0900, I had to go again, but this time, I just whizzed out the window. A young doe came out from my downwind side and walked up to the blind and put her head in, before sauntering off. There was shortly a lot of raking back in the cedars and within 5 minutes, a large 10 point buck walked out of the cedars on my downwind side and passed within 20 yards of the blind. I'm picking up the venison today from the processor.

4) On my last sit at Hollywood this year, I whizzed off the downwind side and promptly got busted by a doe directly downwind. However, within 5 minutes, another doe came up to the blind found the gap in the burlap at the ladder and stood transfixed peering at me through the hole. A few minutes later a herd of 4 deer, including a good 8-point buck came out into the field on my upwind side less than 80 yards out.

5) I had just whizzed out the downwind side of Midway at 1653 when a herd of deer came out into the pasture. I ended up shooting one of the deer. There was a monstrous 10 pointer amongst them.

I'm 59, so I figure I'm enterering that golden phase of my life where I am able to explore this phenomena to the fullest. I'm interested in y'all's thoughts and experiences.

I see what you did there.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Also, never drop your waders duck hunting without gun in hand; they always come in.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How many have seen human piss not bother a 6.5 year old or older deer? Just curious.

We try to avoid the issue as best we can.

I know bowhunting, we would not pee, and tried to stay as clean and clean clothes as we could but still at times when the wind shifted etc.... you rarely were not smelled by a deer and they rarely didn't alarm...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not going to add any smells, that just goes against everything we try to do as a Deer hunter.

I carry a QT Gatorade jug in the side compartment of my Pack. Gatorade jug has a big opening to pee in.

In Woodville, MS with all the hills and bottoms, the wind swirls all the time.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,048
Posts18,500,939
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.