Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone used one of the services where they use beetles to clean a skull? Who to you recommend? How much does it cost? Do you just cut off the head and send it or is there more preparation needed?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yes, find a local taxidermist that has them. Just cut off the head and take it to them, they should do the rest. My local guy charges $100 to clean, bleach, and seal the skull and put a wire hanger on the back, $125 if he mounts it on a plaque.

I usually have him do the skull then I mount them on a plaque I get from Walnut Hollow, I save a few bucks and it's a much nicer plaque than he provides.

https://www.walnuthollowcountry.com/panels/euro-plaques/

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Local guy charges $85 if you remove the hide, $100 if you don't.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just use a bucket of water. I have too many mounts to trust someone cleaned and killed all those bugs out of all the nooks and cranies. Get those bugs in your house and kiss your mounts good-bye.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Yes, find a local taxidermist that has them. Just cut off the head and take it to them, they should do the rest. My local guy charges $100 to clean, bleach, and seal the skull and put a wire hanger on the back, $125 if he mounts it on a plaque.

I usually have him do the skull then I mount them on a plaque I get from Walnut Hollow, I save a few bucks and it's a much nicer plaque than he provides.

https://www.walnuthollowcountry.com/panels/euro-plaques/

Thanks for the link to the plaques.

IC B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rob96
Local guy charges $85 if you remove the hide, $100 if you don't.

Sounds reasonable.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bbassi
I just use a bucket of water. I have too many mounts to trust someone cleaned and killed all those bugs out of all the nooks and cranies. Get those bugs in your house and kiss your mounts good-bye.

How do you use a bucket of water to get a euro mount?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just finished two heads last week.

Had a 8 pointer and a spoon rack 9 pointer, neither were super large trophies.

The technique I use is as follows:

1. Cut the head off at the base of the skull and as close to the C-1 vertebra as possible.

2. Skin the hide off the skull. Cut the lower jaw bone out, it can be tricky. Some time I'll just cut the jaw bone with lopping shears to speed up the process.

3. I use a propane gas Turkey fryer or a single eye burner in my shop.

4. Slow boil or simmer the head in Oxyclean. (one scope for couple of gallons of water).
Do not over boil it will loosen the skull joints and the skull will collapse.
I'll simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hrs then remove and cut away as much soft tissue as possible. Then re-cook another 2 hrs and repeat the process.

You have to spend a little time digging away as much tissue as possible. Using needle nose pliers, screw drivers and small scrape blade.

5.Once I've remove all soft tissue, I'll slow boil in hydrogen peroxide added to clean water for an hour. This is a whitener and bleaches the skull. Make sure you use cellophane wrap the horns (rack) or they will turn white.

I'm a do it your self guy but sometimes the time involved just isn't worth the process. This is not a quick job. I'll wait and do two at a time just to make it more efficient.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chrome
Just finished two heads last week.

Had a 8 pointer and a spoon rack 9 pointer, neither were super large trophies.

The technique I use is as follows:

1. Cut the head off at the base of the skull and as close to the C-1 vertebra as possible.

2. Skin the hide off the skull. Cut the lower jaw bone out, it can be tricky. Some time I'll just cut the jaw bone with lopping shears to speed up the process.

3. I use a propane gas Turkey fryer or a single eye burner in my shop.

4. Slow boil or simmer the head in Oxyclean. (one scope for couple of gallons of water).
Do not over boil it will loosen the skull joints and the skull will collapse.
I'll simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hrs then remove and cut away as much soft tissue as possible. Then re-cook another 2 hrs and repeat the process.

You have to spend a little time digging away as much tissue as possible. Using needle nose pliers, screw drivers and small scrape blade.

5.Once I've remove all soft tissue, I'll slow boil in hydrogen peroxide added to clean water for an hour. This is a whitener and bleaches the skull. Make sure you use cellophane wrap the horns (rack) or they will turn white.

I'm a do it your self guy but sometimes the time involved just isn't worth the process. This is not a quick job. I'll wait and do two at a time just to make it more efficient.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12412113/1

Beetles do great work typically and a buddy has a good business using them. I would only do beetles or maceration. Have boiled dozens of heads over the years. They are very average. Am on my 3rd and 4th head doing maceration now and it is really an amazing process. Will post pics of my whitetail when it is done, getting close now.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
boiling is goign to get grease in the bones that you can never remove.

I"ve sped up the maceration by putting a pot on the burner and just warming the water now and then, but I never boil. Tried boiling in the 80s and those skulls are still horrible even after soaking in acetone/ laquer thinner trying to get the grease out...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've boiled dozens of them over the years and found that if you use auto dishwasher detergent it really helps cut the grease. If they are kept inside the house afterwards, they stay white, but the ones I've kept in the garage did eventually get some grease yellowing on the surface with time. Most of the local taxidermist boil with a detergent added. One of the locals spray paints with off white flat paint and it actually looks fine. I tried maceration on one years ago and still had yellowing, so hit it with flat white paint and it looks ok.

La has a crazy new law where we can't bring heads back unless they are skull capped and cleaned, so I left my TX buck with a Tax there. He said he boils and then bleaches(I assume with peroxide).

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Fireants and yellow jacket nest with a bucket over the top.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do the bucket/water rot off method

It preserves the small bone detail but is stinky nasty work

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Barm: Over the last 15 years or so I have taken about 25 Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer to have them processed by the Beetle method.
I greatly prefer the Beetle method to "boiling"!
I have taken both fresh and frozen "whole" heads (with skin and flesh still on) to the taxidermists that I have used for their Beetle's to clean.
Try it - you'll like it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you have fire ants in your area,, it maybe worth a shot trying on a small deer, even a doe. Guys are doing it with hog heads here.

Put the hog or deer head on the fire ant hill, cover with a tin tub or trash can with a cinder block on top.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have buried several heads in worm beds and let them clean the skulls then simmer for a bit with dishwasher soap. Works great and when your done you have a bunch of fat fish bait.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm pretty lucky that Skulls Unlimited is a 20 minute drive from my house. They do museum-quality beetle work on skulls or entire skeletons of everything from whales to gorillas to field mice or snakes. Their price list is pretty interesting.

http://www.skullcleaning.com/index.php#masthead_logo

Mike Rowe did a Dirtiest Jobs episode on their operation.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.