Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question the last few days and have had no luck so far. Is there anyone that is going to import the stainless steel Zastava mausers to the US?

If so, would they be worth having? I know Zastava is a bit hit or miss, but a stainless steel Mauser action is just too intriguing to me to not want.

GB1

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you want a Mauser in SS then yes, they're worth having. The issue is that no one seems to have had any luck importing the Zastava Mausers on a regular long term basis. Vol717 from the AR forums is the last guy I know that was importing them. http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/5031038632 You may want to reach out to him to see what is possible.

They are serviceable rifles needing a bit of judicious polishing to make them a smooth operating rifle. Far better then the Dumoulin Mauser actions that are being sold by SARCO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think they could be imported if anyone could stomach dealing with Zastava. At least, that's the impression I got the last time someone did a special import. Seems the Zastavians care much more about the quality of their checkering than they do about dealing with Americans.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Seems the Zastavians care much more about the quality of their checkering than they do about dealing with Americans.

We really, really, really need a sarcasm imogee.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I think a stainless Mauser would be about as rugged a rifle as you could build on. Plenty of stock options out there, so that wouldn't be a huge issue. Thanks for the pointer to the guy on AR. Every dealer I've messaged no longer has any Zastavas, much less the stainless version.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Seems the Zastavians care much more about the quality of their checkering than they do about dealing with Americans.

Were those Remington Mausers from a while back Zastavas? Those stocks were rough for sure. Dull screwdriver inletting and so on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Were those Remington Mausers from a while back Zastavas? Those stocks were rough for sure. Dull screwdriver inletting and so on.

Yes, they were, and yes, they were.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

We sure do!

I have a Zastava "M70" (M98), and when it arrived it looked as though it had been finished with a single Lipton tea bag after having brewed a cup or two of tea. Add the etched-in "checkering" and it was something to behold. Ironically, the finish on the rifle itself is some of the deepest and even bluing I've seen. But as you said, they're not much on stock work. I should mention, though, the wood underneath the Lipton finish has a decent grain that a few coats of Timberluxe brought to the surface.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by mathman

Yes, they were, and yes, they were.

I've been told but can't confirm that Boyds supplied those Laminate stocks for the 798's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you get tired of wishing and hoping, consider putting a stainless barrel on a blued one or one of the bazillion FNs out there. My late brother had one built by Brown with a Shilen stainless barrel and electroless nickle finish stuffed into a kevlar stock. Pretty nice rig, but pretty dang heavy by today's standards. Back when I was a one-rifle guy, I used it to kill my first WV buck while my son used my rifle.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, Rev, I've looked at several of those and they were all like that. I think Jim overhauled one and it came out nice.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just so this doesn't become too much of an inside joke.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lest I seem to sneer at the Zastava too much, there is a pretty nice rifle contained in that desecration of wood. With a little polishing of the action they can be made into very nice rifles.

And despite the finish, they occasionally do put some nice wood on them.

[Linked Image]

I wish all success in someone making a stainless Mauser available at an affordable cost.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, Rev, I've looked at several of those and they were all like that. I think Jim overhauled one and it came out nice.

They do clean up nicely. We used a French Red stain on this and in retrospect I wish we'd left the wood natural or used a walnut stain, but with some slenderizing, refinishing and recheckering they are fine rifles.

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I never got a piece of wood on a Zastava worth working with, so I went with a more radical approach.

[Linked Image]

A lefty stainless Mauser would be almost more than my constitution could bear.

K
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Well, I don't know about a lefty version, but this is a model they have on their website. http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/sporting-rifle-m70pss

I figure that in a decent stock would be some kinda interesting. I mean I have various Mausers. But a stainless one..... That just screams rugged to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm. That checkering looks like a great rifle loony winter project. Recutting isn't hard but takes a lot of time and patience. And that would run the price up quite a bit if Zastava did it.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They do clean up nicely. We used a French Red stain on this and in retrospect I wish we'd left the wood natural or used a walnut stain, but with some slenderizing, refinishing and recheckering they are fine rifles.

[Linked Image]

That turned out really nice. How much wood did you remove?

By the way, for those interested, the one I have is 7x57 and the twist is the standard European twist: 1:220mm/1:866". It dearly loves 175-grain bullets.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to really quantify how much was removed, but the LOP was reduced from 14 1/2" (must be lanky fellows, those Zastavians. wink ) to 13 3/4", the rollover cheekpiece was ground off, the wrist and grip were reduced enough to get through the original checkering and the action area and especially the forend had about half the thickness removed. These pictures also show the nice exterior finish they put on the rifle.

The closest before and after pics I have of the action area ,hopefully they show the difference in amount of wood around the action.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

More "before" of the thickness of the forend.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"After" pics of the buttstock and checkering. The checkering was done by my local gunsmith. I didn't want anything really fancy (i.e. $$$) in keeping with the more budget aspect of the whole rifle but he did a nice functional job of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My all stainless zastava in 9.3x62 came out ok. bottom metal by duane wiebe and shroud safety by stuart satterlee

[Linked Image]]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by secretsquirrel; 12/05/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two U.S. importers are listed on that website.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 59 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.