Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Burris Fullfield II or Vortex Diamondback: What are your experiences with and opinions on these two specific brands/model lines? Which is higher in quality and durability in your experience? Which would you purchase and mount on your rifle?

The scope is going on a Tikka T3X Lite 6.5 CM. The rig will be used for deer and elk and steel gongs at the range. I am looking at the ballistic reticle scopes in the 3-9x40 and 4/4.5-12x40/42 range in both product lines. Length, weight, eye relief, and FOV are similar.

I've done a lot of research and received a lot of input on a lot of brands and models. I have a specific price point I want to stay under. These scopes are not at the top of my price range, but have been repeatedly recommended to me as, and appear to me to be, really high value and performance scopes for the money.

Thanks,
Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you looked at the Hawke Endurance or the Athlon Talos?

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OK, many people have a Burris Fullfield that was set many years ago and it has never moved. While not as popular as the Leupold it is a vey tough, bright and durable scope. powdr

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not first hand, but I've heard way too many "Vortex is junk".........great warranty, but you'll have to use it. Google it...........info is everywhere on the fact they are junk. My dad bought a lower end, think it was a Diamondback and it was junk.........wouldn't focus reticle and target no matter what we tried and glass was like looking through a fish bowl.

Burris on the other hand, I've had several and they are solid. I had a 3-9x40 FFII with ballistic plex when they first came out and it was awesome(for a $140 scope). Never an issue.

I have had a few issues with Burris scopes in the past, but their customer service was above and beyond and things were taken care of within a few weeks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Burris glass across their whole line doesnt appeal to my eyes. I've tried a bunch too, FF2 up to their top tier stuff. They have been durable. Only failure I've had with them was a red dot and they replaced it no questions asked. As far as vortex goes, I havent played with them enough to have much of an opinion yet. Buddy just put a diamond back on a 450 bushmaster. Glass was decent enough, only about 20 rounds through it so cant comment on durability.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I' know you are specifically asking about those 2 but I'll throw in an elite 3500 to the conversation. Strong scopes and decent glass. Will be priced the same

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Doug,
I have no experience with either.

Best,
Colice

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK

Doug,

Best,
Colice

IMO both Hawke and Athlon offer excellent options, priced below parallel products from other mfg's. Check them out, you'll be happy you did

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, Doug.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Of the two mentioned, the Burris is an easy winner.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Doug,

Best,
Colice

IMO both Hawke and Athlon offer excellent options, priced below parallel products from other mfg's. Check them out, you'll be happy you did

Doug,
What is the rep of the Athlon Argos 2-10x40 BDC 600?

Thx,
Colice

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Burris for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doug,

Best,
Colice

Doug,
What is the rep of the Athlon Argos 2-10x40 BDC 600?

Thx,
Colice

Have you read this Argos BTR review?

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sample size of one. I had a Diamondback 4-12. Worked great on an AR then was moved to a very accurate 243. Not long after, my groups became erratic and I determined that the scope had a lot of parallax at 100 yards. Sent it in and it was repaired by (re-securing the objective lense assembly and setting parallax) . It seemed to be fine again but I sold it. No plans to buy another Vortex. The 4-12 did not have AO and was basically unusable above about 9x.

Only Burris I've had was an old fixed 6x. It was a great scope but the tube was very long. Didn't look right on a short action. My FIL has it now.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, Doug. Very informative!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have no experience with the Vortex - but have bought 4 Burris E1's in recent months. Been hunting a 3-9 E1 on my Montana 308. I like their scopes.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 scopes are pretty damn reliable. I’ve got one that’s been on several rifles and currently on an AR set up for hunting. The adjustments aren’t the most definitive by way of clicks but it adjusts true. The BP reticle works great too. Only thing I don’t care for is the whole eyepiece rotating to adjust magnification, but other than that they’re pretty solid. I don’t think there is a single product with so many reported failures like Vortex. They marketed the chit out of their products and got everyone selling them but I just hear so much negative about them it’s hard to buy anything they make when there are better products for same or less money.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Easily prefer our FF2 over our Diamondback.....4 years now. The DB works, it just isn’t the scope the FF2 is, IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Diamondback 1.75-5x32 on a BLR in 358 WIn. It has a nice thick reticle and a huge field of view. Not super clear around the edges but it does great in the think brush. It has been sent back once for repair. Something was rattling around in the scope. But that field of view still impresses me enough to keep it on the rifle.

I find Vortex products are hit or miss. I've looked through other Diamondbacks at shops that you couldn't give me. I've found that their higher priced scopes in their line tend to lose their clarity at the upper magnifications. That's just my eyes.

I can vouch for the Hawke Endurance. I've hunted with an Endurance 30 this season on a 450 Bushmaster and it's held up. Lenses are clear through the magnification range. Bright enough to get a shot in the woods a little past when I should be in my stand. So far I can't complain for the money.

Dan

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I dunno. The FFII has a good rep, but my experience is they fog. Sample of two. One spent the night under a tarp on a backpacking trip, temp in the upper 20s, and the rest of the trip it was half obscured with vapor. Dealing w. CS was ridiculous. And the replacement I finally obtained lasted less than 2 years, did the same thing after a night in the bed of a pickup same temps. Never tried a diamond back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 11 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.