Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have used the Burris 3x9 and 4x12 on rifles from a 243 to a 300 RUM and on a Tikka T-3 lite 338 Win. I have never had a problem, these are some tuff scopes. Never used a vortex so no way to compare. I currently have 8 FFll scopes on rifles.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If those were my only two options, I'd take the Burris all day long and twice on Sunday! But personally, I'd spend a little more and get a Leupold. grin

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a couple of FFIIs. I've had each of them for several years, done a fair bit of hunting with them, and I think they are great scopes for the money, very good value.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the guys with FFII that don't like the rotating ocular - look at the E1. It has a power adjustment ring, etched glass, and much better turrets than the FFII. I find them almost identical in clarity and brightness to my VX-3s. They appear to be the real deal. They are a bit more $ than the FFII but not much, especially if you find a deal.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabela's routinely has them on sale for $150, especially the 30 mm. I wish they had a "normal" reticle.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Cabela's routinely has them on sale for $150, especially the 30 mm. I wish they had a "normal" reticle.

Sportsmans Warehouse is running an E1 3-9x40 with regular duplex for $150 right now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
For the guys with FFII that don't like the rotating ocular - look at the E1. It has a power adjustment ring, etched glass, and much better turrets than the FFII. I find them almost identical in clarity and brightness to my VX-3s. They appear to be the real deal. They are a bit more $ than the FFII but not much, especially if you find a deal.

I would have loved to have tried the E 1 after having good luck with the FF II but the reticle is just to fine for this area where it can be pretty dark during legal shooting light. If they made an illuminated version with just a simple red dot I would be all over that.

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I should clarify a bit - all the E1s I own have the standard Burris Plex. I hate the E1 Ballistic Plex.................

Cabelas sells the standard Plex for $299 every day, Fleabay has them for ~ $180 and refurbs for ~ $160.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

There is a normal duplex E1 (I own one), part #200321. There was one on samplelist.com not too long ago. Cabelas has them on sale for $150 right now.
Link to Cabelas

These are great scopes for the money. Mine is mounted on a .243 that doesn't get shot much, so can't comment on durability, but I've owned a number of Burris scopes over the years and they have held up for me.

For those that bitch about Burris CS - not sure what to say other than I've had great experiences with them. I had a Signature years ago that had some specs inside, sent it back and they cleaned it up and even gave the exterior and lenses a makeover. Took about a month. A couple years ago I dropped a signature select 4-16 at the range and it messed up the ocular lens. They replaced it no questions asked with a Veracity. Hard to complain about that upgrade.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, I wish Burris would show their E1 being available with the Plex reticle on their website. Because they don't I figured what made the E1 model was the Ballistic Plex E1 reticle in its various forms. Thanks for the heads-ups.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't know they offered it with the standard duplex, on the website it shows only the one reticle. If they made it with the regular Ballistic Plex that would be even better.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bersh

There is a normal duplex E1 (I own one), part #200321. There was one on samplelist.com not too long ago. Cabelas has them on sale for $150 right now.
Link to Cabelas

These are great scopes for the money. Mine is mounted on a .243 that doesn't get shot much, so can't comment on durability, but I've owned a number of Burris scopes over the years and they have held up for me.

For those that bitch about Burris CS - not sure what to say other than I've had great experiences with them. I had a Signature years ago that had some specs inside, sent it back and they cleaned it up and even gave the exterior and lenses a makeover. Took about a month. A couple years ago I dropped a signature select 4-16 at the range and it messed up the ocular lens. They replaced it no questions asked with a Veracity. Hard to complain about that upgrade.

That's a great deal on a neat scope.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Between those two scopes I would choose the Burris.

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had that burris, and the diamondback in 4-12.
its been a while since I had both So I cant tell you which one is better side by side. but I'd look at the E1
I do like my other burris I have left as well as the vortex viper I have left..
buy once, cry once.
I now own nikon monarchs and leupolds vx2,3.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another vote for a good look at the Bushy 3500's. Hunted some of the most miserable weather AK has to offer with one in 4-12 and it was flawless each time. Should of stayed ignet:) and never bought upper tier.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like between Vortex and Burris, Burris is the way to go. Around the same price point, sounds like there is also solid support behind the Bushnell Elite 3500.

This is really a question about ballistic holdover reticles and scope features: Regarding the Burris scopes, FFII ballistic plex vs E1 with standard plex (not the E1 ballistic plex), which would do you prefer? I like the idea of the ballistic plex on the FFII for shooting gongs at the range, but how well does it work in practice (6.5 CM)? Regarding the E1 with standard plex, is the upgraded magnification adjustment ring and turrets worth forgoing the FFII ballistic plex?

Thanks,
Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gerry35
I didn't know they offered it with the standard duplex, on the website it shows only the one reticle. If they made it with the regular Ballistic Plex that would be even better.

That would be great!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All Ballistic type plex's will work if the end user is willing to put in the range time to confirm what is happening where the rubber meets the road.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Burris has a online ballistics program that will allow you to enter your bullet B.C., velocity, and shooting conditions and will show you your yardage for each mark on their BDC reticle. You can adjust your sight in yardage and the magnification power. This will give you a good ballpark dea of what to expect, but as mentioned above, would need field validation to get the most accuracy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think these last two posts answer my question. I shoot at a range with 10” gongs out over 500 yards. The ballistic reticle is the way for me to go. It will be fun!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.