Print Thread
Hop To
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I hunted DIY archery elk on public land in Colorado last year. I had a great time but didn't get an elk. I would like to try for elk again but hopefully have a better chance at success. I am not wealthy and I don't like the idea of going with a professional guide (I want a challenge). I am thinking about rifle hunting through a drop camp service. I am thinking earlier season is better to avoid deep snow. Anyone have any suggestions for a hunt like this? State, area, outfitter, etc. Thanks

GB1

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So far, I know a bit about how Colorado works. I am thinking about applying for a muzzleloader tag in a unit with lots of public land like unit 41 (Grand Mesa NF). I also saw that Montana has a backcountry season in mid-September but I am not sure how hard it is to draw a tag or gain access. I'd like to keep the cost at around $2,500 or so if possible. I have all the equipment needed like a 4x4 truck, tents, 4x4 ATV, clothing, etc. Thanks for any help. (I hunt PA, NY and Vermont so I am somewhat lost with all the units and rules.)

P.S. If anyone else is looking to do something similar, let me know if you want to team up. Otherwise, it will probably be another solo trip.

Last edited by Theeck; 12/11/17.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Granby, Co and contact Samualson Outfitters. I am on vacation and do not have their number but I have hunted with them a half dozen times and had a great time. Two things of note, this is a fair chase hunt and the area allows no motorized vehicles. The ride in is 5 to 6 hrs.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Skitish. I am interested in fair chase and a wilderness adventure much more than simply getting meat. I'll check them out.

Anyone have thoughts on the Bob Marshall wilderness for an early elk hunt? Hard to draw? Accessible by vehicle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theeck

Anyone have thoughts on the Bob Marshall wilderness for an early elk hunt? Hard to draw? Accessible by vehicle?

This year Hunting Districts 150 and 151 (the Bob) were open Sep 15-Nov 26 for brow tine bulls on a general license. There is NO vehicle access.

To quote the F&G elk hunting regulations on these units "NOTE: Backcountry - Remote location, access difficult."

When I had horses, I hunted the Scapegoat Wilderness (south end of the Bob Marshall) and the Absaroka Wilderness north of Yellowstone Park. The Wilderness boundary was often several miles by trail from the vehicle parking lot.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Contact Tel Gates of Rivers Bend Outfitting, he is out of Meeker CO, he is great and can set you up in the type of hunt you are looking for. My brother has hunted with the Gates family several times, this was my first time. Just google River Bend and look it over, if you have questions just ask.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
If you want a challenge,you have to take the lean years with the bad. Archery success is about 12-14 %, ML 15-16% .Rifle $18-20% Those are for all elk, bulls and cows.

I have hunted for 45- 50 years taking an elk almost every year.This past year,I hunted muzzle loader and a rifle seasons. I saw one calf..That is why it is called hunting, not killing. Some new elk hunters kill an elk the first year, many go 4-5 years before they do.Keep at it, don't give. I guarantee, there is at least one very stupid elk that will someday walk in front of you

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Cameron Lee guides the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Again I do not have his number but when I was hunting with him there were only two in the Kalispell phone book and that was him and his dad Gene Lee. These are great folk and do drop camps and the fully guided hunts.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. Based on some suggestions by pm, I might go back to the general area that I hunted last year so I can start learning an area. If I am going to learn an area it needs to be OTC or at least high odds of being drawn. Does anyone here hunt near Grand Mesa NF?

Last edited by Theeck; 12/11/17.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by SMAC204
Contact Tel Gates of Rivers Bend Outfitting, he is out of Meeker CO, he is great and can set you up in the type of hunt you are looking for. My brother has hunted with the Gates family several times, this was my first time. Just google River Bend and look it over, if you have questions just ask.

I also recommend River's Bend Outfitting. They know their stuff and all their camps are in great locations. Their drop camps are very affordable.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've hunted Grand Mesa several times, the 11,000 ft elevation is a bitch!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You mentioned having a 4 wheeler. Keep in mind that many National Forests have restrictions on which FS roads they can be used. The local FS office can guide you on this. Also, designated Wilderness areas ban use of mechanized and wheeled contraptions, this includes bicycles and game carts. If you are in a Wilderness be ready to pack your elk out on your back, or to hire horses.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Theeck
Thanks guys. Based on some suggestions by pm, I might go back to the general area that I hunted last year so I can start learning an area. If I am going to learn an area it needs to be OTC or at least high odds of being drawn. Does anyone here hunt near Grand Mesa NF?

Did you see elk or fresh elk sign. The area i used to archery hunt north of Dolores on N Forest has very few elk nowadays.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
tag

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skitish
Cameron Lee guides the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Again I do not have his number but when I was hunting with him there were only two in the Kalispell phone book and that was him and his dad Gene Lee. These are great folk and do drop camps and the fully guided hunts.

“The Bob” is a great wilderness experience as it really is true wilderness. I don’t know this outfitter (above) and can’t remember mine but he was based out of Choteau, Mt.

I was in a drop camp with a friend from which we saw elk, deer, and black bear, while another buddy in an outfitted camp a bit away had a grizz break into a tack and feed tent and put on the feed bag before being encouraged to leave. They took several elk and a nice mule deer.

The Bob is different from most all other lower forty-eight elk hunts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I have hunted for 45- 50 years taking an elk almost every year.This past year,I hunted muzzle loader and a rifle seasons. I saw one calf..That is why it is called hunting, not killing. Some new elk hunters kill an elk the first year, many go 4-5 years before they do.Keep at it, don't give. I guarantee, there is at least one very stupid elk that will someday walk in front of you

Alot of good suggestions but this is the best advice on this thread. It was 4-5 years for me.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by saddlesore
If you want a challenge,you have to take the lean years with the bad. Archery success is about 12-14 %, ML 15-16% .Rifle $18-20% Those are for all elk, bulls and cows.

Theek, read saddlesore's piece twice. Especially the "Keep at it, don't give".

I had a true honey hole and got 4 bulls in 5 yrs, almost unheard of in the elk hunting world. Over 7 yrs, added 2 cows to the pile. But all good things must end eventually and the place was sold Jan. 10th. It was good while it lasted. I have one other spot that is walk in only, no wheeled devices, and it's a tuff hunt but your chances are pretty good if you stick with it. So, back there I go. I have found in the past that walking in and scouting in late August helps a bunch on where to focus.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Should have read "Don't give up"

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do something besides 'rifle hunt' to up your odds of getting a decent tag in a good location. Location, location, location.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 62 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.