Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Has or is anybody using an FX-3 6x on a long action, more specifically an LA Ruger?? Mounting space is only a 1/2" shorter than the FX-II according to Leupold.

Just wondering how critical this is.

I have one on a round top M77 tang safety 7MM Mag with a 1 piece Redfield scope base. I'm not sure I understand your question though?

Was wondering of this half inch less tube length left enough fore/aft movement of the scope for proper eye relief.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Our group has been hunting the same general area for over 40 years. One of the guys was sitting on a drive this year, a buck came busting through the thick stuff right near him at warp speed in erratic leaps and bounds, not the "straight-line bolting" type of run. He carries a variable on his rifle, had it set around 3-4x at the time.

Said he never could get that buck centered in the scope with how close, erratic, and fast it came through with a short window of opportunity. I've never heard him say this, but he was mumbling, "I would've been better off with open sights on this one.....".

A 6x wouldve been even worse for that situation. Not dissing a 6x for deer hunting, but it all depends on where and how YOU hunt.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 12/13/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The nice thing about a trim 2-7x or 2.5-8x is they come with a 6x at no additional cost...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
The nice thing about a trim 2-7x or 2.5-8x is they come with a 6x at no additional cost...

shocked grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Craig2506
Kicking around the idea of putting a fixed power scope on a dedicated deer gun. It's a 25-06 and shots range from 30-300 yards. Pros and cons? I can't come up with many cons....thinking of trying to find a leupold 6x36 and trying it. Thoughts?

My suggestion is to get one of your rifles with a variable and set it to 6x and try it at the shortest ranges you expect to take a shot at. See if you can get the field of view you want and whether or not you can quickly pick up a target at that range, especially in brush. 6x is plenty of magnification for 300 yards but depending on your terrain it may be too much for 30 yards.

I picked up a nice little mannlicher stocked Husqvarna a few years ago and wanted to fit my Leupold 6x FX3 to it but decided that at short ranges I felt the field of view to be too little. Opted instead for a fixed 4x. Lately I've been thinking of a 2-7 instead.

I fitted the 6x to a .270 I use exclusively for stand hunting I Texas and where the shortest shot is 50 yards and there is no brush at that range. Love it in that situation.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

They also come with 3 additional lenses. That means 6 additional lenses surfaces. To it's detriment.

...and you can tell in quality of sight picture and light transmission.

FX III 6X42 has all the bells and whistles. 42 /6 = 7mm exit eye pupil. Very forgiving.

Lot of scope for the money.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you pull a rifle out of my safe with a variable on it, 9 times out of 10 it was put away on 6x. If that means anything.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gibby
FX III 6X42 has all the bells and whistles. 42 /6 = 7mm exit eye pupil. Very forgiving.

And they're pretty!
Bob

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Otter6 that's what I find myself also which is why I was kicking this around. I have a 3-9x40 on it now and it's fine but I just leave it at 6.

RGK that's a pretty setup all the way around!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

They also come with 3 additional lenses. That means 6 additional lenses surfaces. To it's detriment.

Light is lost on each surface, but lots of variables work well enough for me regarding brightness. The thing I like most about a fixed 6 is there is less to break. I like simple.

Most of my hunting is heavy wooded mountainsides. Even though ranges aren't long, I like at least 4x to help pick out limbs/twigs when threading the needle on a shot. At the same time, I don't care for more than 6x as things get to crowded. 6x is where I've settled for heavy woods with occasional open fields that offer longer shots.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RGK

And they're pretty!
Bob

[Linked Image]

Is there a scope in that picture?

Nice

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The pupils of a typical adult over the age of 50 don't dilate much beyond 5mm on average, so that reality pretty much kicks your points down the road.

I recently had my yearly eye exam, and at age 56, have 20/20 vision (yeah I know that's not perfect, but it's damn good). Doc told me I have the best eyes of any of his patients in my age group. Also, my training is in the visual arts, which is to say, I'm pretty competent at discerning visual minutiae.

Said all that to say, last summer I had two new 6x's on hand... an FXII 6x36 LRD and a FX3 6x42 LRD. I tested them in a variety of lighting conditions, dawn, midday, dusk, including with the USAF optic's chart. I could see ZERO difference between them... that is, of course, because the 6x42's 7mm exit pupil is useless given my 56 year old eyes. The 6x42 went down the road.

Guys repeat the 6x42 mantra incessantly, but unless you just have a penchant for a heavier, larger, more expensive scope, there are no actual differences for older eyes. That's the reality.

And as to the argument of a fixed 6x having more elements than a 2.5-8x36 and therefore being brighter... I've got news, set on 6x, you won't see any real world the difference between the two (Leupold)

The best argument for the 6x is simplicity, strength, and light weight. Dat's it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Location, location, location.

6X....No

[Linked Image]

6X...No

[Linked Image]

6X...No

[Linked Image]

1x4...Yes

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Fixed 6 power is lighter, less to go wrong. It has been a while since I had one go south on me. I did keep a fixed 6 on a 300 WBY and hunted with it for over 10 years here in AK. Never failed but the recoil always got my attention.

Matt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6X...maybe

[Linked Image]

6X...Yeh !

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've used a few 6x scopes, including Weaver, Leupold, Meopta, Pecar, Kahles and Hensoldt. For some applications they are fine, but for my big game hunting I prefer a 4x or a variable, for the better field of view. I have shot game at longer ranges, but it is a rare thing for me to take a shot at 300 yards or more, and much more commonly I would be at 150 yards or less, and it is not unusual for me to be considerably closer and to take shots at animals which are on the move. For this sort of application I find 6x less than ideal. A 4x on the other hand, fits the bill nicely, as does a 1-5-6 or 2-7, and I don't find any of these a handicap on the odd shot out to 300 yards.

Others have different views, and may have different conditions, and ultimately the only real answer may be to give it a go and see if you like it. FWIW the last couple of 6x scopes I own are currently not mounted to a rifle, and may stay that way unless I sell them, but YMMV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roundoak, I’ve always loved the pictures of your farm!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Probably would have been okay with 6x on this little guy at this particular spot but I am thinking I would like my 2-7x set just under 3x the best. This particular stand is on a hardwood ridge, 50 yards would be a very long poke. most shots here will be under 30 yards.

[Linked Image]

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

The pupils of a typical adult over the age of 50 don't dilate much beyond 5mm on average, so that reality pretty much kicks your points down the road.

I recently had my yearly eye exam, and at age 56, have 20/20 vision (yeah I know that's not perfect, but it's damn good). Doc told me I have the best eyes of any of his patients in my age group. Also, my training is in the visual arts, which is to say, I'm pretty competent at discerning visual minutiae.

Said all that to say, last summer I had two new 6x's on hand... an FXII 6x36 LRD and a FX3 6x42 LRD. I tested them in a variety of lighting conditions, dawn, midday, dusk, including with the USAF optic's chart. I could see ZERO difference between them... that is, of course, because the 6x42's 7mm exit pupil is useless given my 56 year old eyes. The 6x42 went down the road.

Guys repeat the 6x42 mantra incessantly, but unless you just have a penchant for a heavier, larger, more expensive scope, there are no actual differences for older eyes. That's the reality.

And as to the argument of a fixed 6x having more elements than a 2.5-8x36 and therefore being brighter... I've got news, set on 6x, you won't see any real world the difference between the two (Leupold)

The best argument for the 6x is simplicity, strength, and light weight. Dat's it.

That extra 2mm gives you a more forgiving sight picture when " the deer is running down the road"

or across the road. Quicker acquisition is what they call it.

As far as the number of lens surfaces (no matter what coatings they have ) and light transmission, it is all physics. I can see the difference. Enough to change out 5 variable scopes to the FXIII 6X42 . My Doc must be better than yours. He also doesn't blow smoke up people's ass.

All my S&B scopes are fixed power for the same reason. They are in a different class than the Leupolds. I can see the difference there too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I notice the bigger exit pupil on the 42 mainly through how easy it is to get behind....or just more wiggle room. I like the 36 as well, just prefer the 42.

Nice pics roundoak. It's places like there were I prefer a 6x when picking holes and avoiding twigs. 4-6 power for me, but I'm not shooting running deer in there either. I'd rather shoot longer distance with a lower power than in thick stuff like that with less than 4. Just my preference.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1minute, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,687
Posts18,513,529
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.